3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Big Broadhead Interest  (Read 906 times)

Offline Will Cocke 2

• Trad Bowhunter
Big Broadhead Interest
« on: June 13, 2012, 02:42:00 PM »
I have searched high and low for the perfect broadhead for whitetail deer.  In my quest I have tried and killed deer with just about all of them.  Abowyer simmons centaur zwickey magnus VPA, Big Jim, to name a few.  These are all great heads and all have there place.  But what I am looking for is a NON VENTED head that would be 1.75"-2" in width 200-250gr without insert or 300 with, similar to the Abowyer wapiti or vpa penetrator in shape maybe a little less than the Ashby 3to1 ratio. The ratio is great and i understand all the testing that went into it.  But I am after a head that is big, tough, leaves huge entrance and exit wounds, and may make up for a shot a little of the mark every now and then.   So maybe if we can get interest up someone will step up to the plate.

Offline graybarkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Big Broadhead Interest
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 02:49:00 PM »
X2

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 02:53:00 PM »
RAGE! its like throwing a axe through a animal! lol j/k

man those are alot of grat BH's you mentioned! u mean u cant pick one out of all those??

Offline Anointed Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 02:54:00 PM »
The ACE Super Express 200 grains are 1 7/16.
For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. And he gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation.

Offline Longspur77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 03:01:00 PM »
I agree and also have wondered the same thing. I also have a hard time making a perfect shot on a deer every single time and the piece of mind of knowing that my 2 inch hatchet is in the torso and giving him or her the appropriate hours to expire will usually yield a harvest. Obviously every broadhead will kill an animal if put in the right place but some of us dont make the perfect shot everytime especially during the heat of the moment. Just my 2 cents. I am interested in what everyone says
62" Blacktail Elite VL
60" Morrison Cheyenne

Offline Will Cocke 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 03:03:00 PM »
I like the ones like simmons tree shark, centaur and abowyer whitetails but the hiss like a bottle rocket even with beveled back edges of the vents.  The deer may not hear it i know but still dont like it.  Looking for the perfect head.  And Hopefully one of the broadhead makers that comes to the site  may make a little extra money.

Offline BrushWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 03:50:00 PM »
X3 Thats one reason I like a big 4- blade. I have been eyeing simmions 4-blade  Interceptors for some time now. 1 9/16 x 1 1/8 its gotta leave a mark.  :cool:
Kids who hunt, trap, & fish don't mug little old ladies.

Offline BrushWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 03:50:00 PM »
Maybe even a big 4-blade 1 1/2 magnus would be good.

Offline Will Cocke 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 04:02:00 PM »
I have shot the 4 blade inch and a half magnus the bleeders are flimsy and do not stay in place very well you cannot bend the tip of it like on a simmons interceptor to get it to stay in place.

Offline BrushWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 04:08:00 PM »
How are the bleeders on the Interceptors?

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 04:12:00 PM »
A broadhead that has to open up, or perform some sort of feat other than cut will sometimes (maybe often). .  NOT open up.  

I was informed that that happened to one man in Texas this spring, hunting for piggies, where a very popular mechanical head failed five straight times to open up and he lost all five piggies.

If you miss and it goes into bone,  a large head is not gonna help.  If you miss and it goes into guts (no bone at all), it sure shouldn't need to be big and bad and sturdy and 3:1 ratio and all of the above.

Maybe we need to practice and determine our best ranges a bit more before season.

Just saying
ChuckC

Offline BrushWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 04:28:00 PM »
I agree chuck. One reason I like a big head it helps in the tracking.For example last year I shot a big doe at 6 yards. I got a complete pass thru with a 4- blade zwicky delta.I hit her on the top of the heart and  got both lungs. Snow had her and the trail covered over within 30 mins. I feel that I might have not found her with out the big holes.

Offline Longspur77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 04:46:00 PM »
i agree i also would rather stabbed with a pocket knife than a bowie knife, in the guts or the leg, doesnt matter, the bigger the more it hurts in my opinion.
62" Blacktail Elite VL
60" Morrison Cheyenne

Offline Will Cocke 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 05:17:00 PM »
The bleeders on an interceptor come to a point so you can bend the tip and it will stay in place they are sturdy but still need  frequent replacement after shooting into game  great head but not legal in all states because of being barbed.

I want big short blood trails.  Do a little test take 2  1 gallon bottles of water stab one with a 1"  wide blade and one with a 2" which one will empty faster.  Out of 14 deer last year with trad equipment lost one from a deflect into the guts left him for 8 hours tracked drops for 600 yards and then another 400 with dog  would a larger head make a difference maybe maybe not.  If you have never lost an animal congrats but  its hunting and you will.  I shoot my bow everyday all year long my shooting and range are not in ? so lets stick to the topic at hand which was a bigger broadhead.

Just saying
Will

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 05:18:00 PM »
Talk with VPA and have them make you one.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Will Cocke 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2012, 05:22:00 PM »
We will be much better off if there is a shown interest; a demand for them.  But that is in the plan to whoever is interested in making them.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2012, 05:24:00 PM »
Might be a while until the long & lean fad dies down a bit...
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Will Cocke 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2012, 05:26:00 PM »
You are probably right but then again a deer/turkey aren't  exactly  water buffalos.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2012, 05:45:00 PM »
nope, they sure aren't.

Really, the big Jim 3 will do more cutting than a 2" 2 blade.

A 2" two blade makes about a 2" cut..
A 1.5" cut 3 blade has 3- .75"blades ( 1.5/2 )
So..3 X .75" = 2.25" of cutting.

Personally, after drawing out a 2"Wx2.5"L head..I wouldn't want that stuck on the front of my arrow.
..just too much chance of wind planning..
This is what made the modern mechanical heads appear.

I get what you're after..I really do.
But why anyone would need more than the Big Jim I don't know..lol

But hey man..Good luck to you and your experiments.

Offline Will Cocke 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2012, 08:53:00 PM »
Two  blade should penetrate better with lower poundage bows than the big Jim's with less force needed for 2 blades than 3.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©