3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Backpack hunting question  (Read 930 times)

Offline TWP

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Backpack hunting question
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2012, 11:57:00 PM »
Pocket Rocket and Iodine tablets. I like my water wet, could care less what it tastes like. Also saves money, weight and space.

Offline Tracks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2012, 01:29:00 AM »
If you are looking for an ultralight stove look into Aluminum Bottle Stoves (not to be confused with aluminum can stoves). A pocket rocket looks as big as a coleman two burner compared to these things. I just tried one for the first time this last weekend and I was impressed! Worked well in snotty weather here in the Chugach Mountains. I look forward to using it more in the future because it weighs nothing and takes up no space.  

If you enjoy tinkering, you can make one w/instructions online. If time is worth more to you than money, you can buy them from Whitebox Stoves (http://www.whiteboxstoves.com/).

They run on de-natured alcohol solvent. I recommend bringing a wind screen or plan on using rocks, etc to protect the flame. I haven't tried them at altitude yet, but I'm sure someone has written their opinion about that online somewhere since these stoves are becoming popular on the ultralight scene.  

I prefer Aquamira water treatment over iodine if you are going the chemical treatment route. More $, but lasts longer. I always seemed to get too much moisture in my iodine bottles (which ruins the tabs and renders them ineffective).

I have also been using a sil-nylon tarp and bivy combo instead of a tent a lot over the last couple years. This set up probably won't work for the O.P. since a bivy is way more claustrophobic than a mummy bag, but something to consider if you are looking to shave pounds off your pack.

I encourage the O.P. to keep an open mind and try another mummy bag. Maybe a larger, more roomy type of bag? Mummy bags do provide a good warmth-to-weight ratio once you get accustomed to them.

Offline Milk River Stickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2012, 04:29:00 AM »
Msr pocket rocket and msr Titan titanium pot ( .85 liter). Fuel canister nests in pot.  Ultralight and reliable.  All u need if using dehy meals.  Been using since they came out.... No problems
Second the hill people gear serape.
Msr miniwoeks backed up with katydine micropur tabs... U can save the weight and just go with the tabs,  put some emergenc in it or something if it tastes to you.  Lots of opinions there,  google it.
You will find what works for u so go for it and keep at it.... It's an addiction, but a good one.  Good luck.
Oh.... Surprised no has mentioned ti goat caldera stoves... That may throw a wrench in ur whole plan!

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2012, 09:04:00 AM »
You can get pretty nutty with weight-saving if you want to.  I used to go so far as to cut 70% of the handle off my toothbrush to make it lighter.  

I agree with the other guys about the mess kit; keep it small, light, and simple.  Dehydrated meals taste terrible at home, but are gormet in the mountains.  

Campfires are definitely not required, and if you really need one you don't need an axe to pull it off.  Just gather sticks and twigs and do it Indian style; build it small and sit close.

Weight is your arch enemy when backpacking; if you don't feel that way now, you will after hauling 60lbs uphill for a few miles.  If weight is your enemy, a comfy pack is your best friend.  Definitly don't go cheap on the backpack (or the boots!).  Get the most comfortable one for you.  All the bells and whistles will be just about useless if it hurts to wear it (same for the boots!).  Once you get your gear together take the opportunity to get into the mountains for a few days and do some scouting.  You'll want to be familiar enough with your gear that you can operate it all in the dark.

If you have never used a backpacking stove before, I highly recommend going with a butane/propane stove.  They are by far the simplest to use.  These stoves will work on butane or propane, and most canisters actually use a butane-propane mix to prevent the cold weather issues that you've heard about.  I use an MSR Whisperlite that runs on gas (about 15 yrs old).  It is super light and the stove sits on the ground, so it's nice and stable.  MSR is making a new Wisperlite that runs on gas (butane/propane) and liquid (kerosene, alchohol, etc).  If I ever need another stove I'd get that one.  The control valve for the Whipserlite is mounted on top of the tank, so you can use a wind-screen and still control the flame.  A wind-screen will save lots of time and fuel, and should always be used imo.

Good luck!

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2012, 09:37:00 AM »
There is always down wood that you can break up with your hands and make a fire.  X2 on not needing an axe.  A wyoming saw will/can cut up some wood in a pinch and it does help in quartering an animal.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline AWPForester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2012, 04:05:00 PM »
For some of you guys that pm'ed me about the list or are looking to make the perfect hammock instead on spending big bucks on it, check out DIY gear as 8Crow suggested.  I just bought the stuff to do a very nice, strong, very lightweight hammock for uder $35 bucks including the suspension.

The prices for a commercial made hammock like this is going to push $150 minimium.  I can build it in less than 30 minutes counting hemming time.  When you consider the cost of a high dollar bacpacking tent, the hammock and DIY tarp is going to be less than $50 and 60-90 minutes of your time.  All much lighter and less expensive than a tent.

Thought this might help a few.  God Bless
Psalm 25:3 Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: Let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2012, 04:39:00 PM »
As I love backpacking gear and usually only do so above 10000 feet. I've used many things my current favorite stove is the pocket rocket. Really small and light and a lighter fits nicely in the little plastic case. The snow peak canisters seem to last for 3days or so. If you're just boiling water most of these types of stoves work great. Big fan of the jetboil system as well.  But I like the pots and packing systems of GSI soloist and dualist. As far as water treatment is concerned. I'm a fan of the steripen. I wasn't at first because I bought one and it failed me in the back country and thank god I took my old pump filter as a back up.  REI returned it I got a new one and it's been great. Small light weight

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2012, 09:09:00 AM »
This is a great little compact package.  You might find it a little cheaper if you hunt for a bargain.

http://www.rei.com/product/783670/primus-etapack-lite-stove-system
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2012, 11:36:00 AM »
Reading intently.  Gearing up for my first Colorado hunt this fall.  Got a blackwidow pack, Jetboil SOL Ti stove, MSR sweetwater system, Irish Setter Elk hunter boots, BA UL2 ultralite tent, Bean Katahdin 0 deg bag, frogg togg rain gear, thermarest neoair xlite pad.  A few more items and I am ready.  I am packing it all around 3-4 miles a day with a full 2L dromelite bladder.  Weight has fully got my attention now for any more items going in that pack.
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2012, 12:29:00 PM »
Msr hyperflow. Light packs small. High output.

Sterno folding stove is really really cheap but works great. I fried some in mine on my last trip.
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©