3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ames bag targets?  (Read 301 times)

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
Ames bag targets?
« on: June 13, 2012, 08:09:00 PM »
Who uses the ames bag-target that you stuff?What do you use to stuff yours?I got a bunch of shrink-wrap from work turned out great.Will be practicing with only one arrow, one shot everyday till the season opens.Will be practicing from my waldrop-pacseat at different ranges.
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Offline CoilSpring

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ames bag targets?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 08:19:00 PM »
That's a lot pack'n and seat'n with only one arrow, 3Feathers.  You need me to send you another arrow and 3 more feathers?   :goldtooth:  

Just kidding...those are good targets.  Shrink wrap, walmart bags, packing material, mattress covers, etc.  Only the 1st shot counts, right?
CoilSpring

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 09:26:00 PM »
i bought 2 of the ames burlap targets and sewed them together with a heavy felt liner and stuffed with heavy plastic(cover concrete in the rain stuff) from work, best target ive made so far.

Offline iohkus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 12:43:00 PM »
Has anyone used the Replacement Covers for the Morrell outdoor targets as a stuff-it-yourself bag target? I think they may hold up better than burlap. If so, your comments/thoughts on using them.
Hmmmmm. I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm
not sure that what you heard is what I actually meant!

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 02:16:00 PM »
I stuff my Ames with plastic wrap I dumpster dove for behind a furniture store. It's the heavy plastic furniture comes wrapped in. Been using the same plastic for 8-10 years! On my second bag target in that same time frame. It takes a lot to shoot them up! I recently bought a couple additional faces to use at our local county range. The range is a soon to be 14 target covered hay bale work through course open to the public. Soon to be, as soon as the local Boy Scout Troop in the area finish! Carry my Waldrop pac seat with 2 burlap target faces and I'm set for a couple hours of 3d shooting, or should I say 2d? Love Ames targets.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 05:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by iohkus:
Has anyone used the Replacement Covers for the Morrell outdoor targets as a stuff-it-yourself bag target? I think they may hold up better than burlap. If so, your comments/thoughts on using them.
i bought a replacement cover from basspro, and stuffed it with plastic just like the ames burlap.
         and works good but the tight weave plastic(nylon whatever ) there made of really grabs behind the point when removing arrows so it gets a little agrivating pulling arrows.
  but it works and it wont rot as fast as burlap.

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 06:17:00 PM »
Another good thing to use for stuffing is the winter and solar cover scraps from swimming pool stores. The stuff lasts forever.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline iohkus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 06:22:00 PM »
arrow30, how did you close the replacement cover, was it a hassle?
Hmmmmm. I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm
not sure that what you heard is what I actually meant!

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 06:42:00 PM »
naw, wasnt hard at all, just sewed it up with fake sinew. but any type string would work.

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 07:58:00 PM »
2 nylon 100lbs feed sacks from a feed store doubled up and stuffed is just as good or better and only a couple bucks a bag.

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 10:03:00 PM »
I have used the Ames burlap. They dont last long. I can shoot the kill zone out in no time. Ithink Im going to get some burlap and sew back in the kill zone. I really like the way they perform. I have several family members save thier grocery bags for stuffing the targets. Just about any plastic will work.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©