3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Early Season Mule Deer Tactics  (Read 225 times)

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
Early Season Mule Deer Tactics
« on: June 13, 2012, 08:51:00 PM »
Well, I took the plunge and applied for a non-resident NE deer tag.  Wouldn't you know it I got one!  So, I plan on being in the stand on opening morning Sept. 15th.  I'm looking forward to some dry and hot temps.

I have only hunted whitetails here in IL/WI.  Any tips from the mule deer hunters?  I'm thinking stands in the morning/evenings and some spot/stalk in the afternoon.

I'm also thinking find water.  Any other tips?

-Jeremy  :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline stykbow67

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Early Season Mule Deer Tactics
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 09:13:00 PM »
Jeremy, Depending on what part of the state your planning to hunt trees might be at a premium! Early a.m. glassing from high point and trying to pattern and then set up on them be work. I've got a book called Hunting open-country Mule Deer by Dwight Schuh if your intereted in reading it pm mw your address and I'll send it your way.

Seve

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 12:16:00 AM »
Ok, my experience using tree stands in Eastern Colorado which should be similar to Western Nebraska, not very many of the trees meet the tree stand specifications. Most are either too huge or too crooked or there aren't any to put a tree stand up in. You will probably at minimum need a longer ratchet strap than what comes with the stand. Be prepared for everything and be prepared to shoot a little farther than what your used too. Also be prepared to have a lot of fun:)
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 08:11:00 AM »
Find and hunt over water in the morning and afternoon, then spot and stalk bedded bucks during the day.  When spotting, look in shady spots on the north side of hills and down in the draws, places where it's dark, cool, and they can catch a bit of a breeze.  Under bushy trees, rock faces, cut banks, and in brush piles, use your binos and spotting scope, then use your legs.  Keep in mind bucks choose their bedding areas for both comfort and safety, so keep escape routes in mind as well.  Good luck!

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 08:46:00 AM »
Thanks for the tips!  I will be in SW Nebraska, South of North Platte by about a 1/2 hour to be exact.  I have access to a tripod stand and a ladder stand.  I'm hoping that will increase my chances of being able to use one or the other.  Stykbow67 I'm sending you my address in a PM.  Thanks for the offer!

-Jeremy  :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline mncarphntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 09:53:00 AM »
Mule Deer are God's gift to bowhunters in my opinion! Enjoy!! I have a real hard time sitting in one spot when hunting Mulies (ND Badlands), but if it's dry waterholes can definately be worth it. We find a good vantage point before light and spot, hoping to intercept or "bed" a buck. Usually if it's warm they don't stay active too long in the morning and move again just before dark. But during the day careful spotting can reveal bedded deer.
 Try to practice longer shots on eneven terrain.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©