3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Neck kives  (Read 632 times)

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Neck kives
« on: June 14, 2012, 03:39:00 PM »
So what's the deal on neck knives? What are the pros and cons?

I've always felt they were impractical, clanging and banging against your chest. Could catch a string. And I don't like a razor sharp pointy object so near my heart and lungs, things can happen.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Neck kives
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 04:12:00 PM »
I've never worn one either. I've also shared the concerns you point out above.

However, I noticed a good friend was wearing a neck knife back in early May. I asked him about it and he was surprised I had never noticed it before because he has worn it for many years -- no problems and very convenient for him.

Except during hunting season I don't carry any type of knife and yep, I'm due to be stripped of every merit badge I ever earned for admitting that.  

I can't stand stuff in my pockets (not even a wallet) and I wouldn't think of carrying a knife around my waist for routine living -- I rarely wear belts anyway (yep, I lead a sheltered life these days).

I can see the utility of a neck knife as it can be hidden and probably would not be binding like stuff in the pockets can be?  Also, I imagine knives in sheaths around the belt have rarely harmed their wearer any more than a neck knife would?

I'm still not likey to get a neck knife because it would feel like jewelery and, except for a wedding band and watch I don't wear that stuff either. (I do wear socks and shoes though).

I do think the armguard knives are cool looking but I fear the bowstring would hit it.

Offline Brad Arnett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 04:45:00 PM »
Here's a pretty decent post about neck knives we had a couple months ago.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=116282;p=1

Offline sledge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 05:32:00 PM »

Offline sledge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 05:39:00 PM »
i almost always have a knife hanging from my neck.

heck, if i could just ditch these 15 belly pounds that have afflicted me since i retired, i could carry the laclair 10" bowie ron just sent concealed under a t-shirt.

the key to effective everyday neck carry is kydex.  the knife hangs handle down, and draws with a natural, easily learned motion.

the idea that one wouldn't want a weapon near his vital organs makes absolutely no sense to me.

is it more likely to jump out and stab you in the heart than your belt knife is to jump out and stab you in the guts?

silliness.  neck knives are safe, handy, and concealable.

joe

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 06:36:00 PM »
I like em and use them occasionally. Theyve been around a looooooong time. I just finished one up that I have to build a sheath for.

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 06:42:00 PM »
I have a Fred Perrin model from Boker in a Kydex sheath. Total feather weight. Sometimes forget I have it on (it's fairly new to me).
The Kydex sheath is very tight fitting, feels totally secure and the knife is like a razor edge.
I'm very happy with it.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 06:52:00 PM »
I use 1 whenever I am in the woods
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 06:59:00 PM »
Thanks for the information and link but I'm still not convinced it is a practical item. I see it as a piece of jewelry or a trendy item for outdoors guys. Something another guy would see and say "Hey, nice neckknife".

First of all it would dangle and get caught in a bowstring or in the way when you bent over unless you tucked it into your shirt. Then you defeat the purpose of having a quickly available utility knife at hand.

Then it takes two hands to unsheath. Why not in a sheath on your hip where you can access it with one hand?

Not for me I'm afraid but thanks for the information.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline sledge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 07:56:00 PM »
if it took 2 hands to unsheath (or resheath), i would be purely out of luck.

to each his own.

joe

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 08:10:00 PM »
I built one of my own design, in 2010.  Have worn it almost daily since.  I built a heavy leather sheath for it and wear it tucked in my shirt.  Unless you're wearing a "belt type" harness that just goes around your waist, you'd have no problem.  If thats the type safety belt you wear, you probably wouldn't have time to get to it anyway, hanging upside down.
With it tucked in no one can see it unless you want them to see it.
To each his own.  For me its another tool that I use.
Johnny/JAG
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 08:27:00 PM »
Reddogge,  i felt the same way until i built one to try out. It was actually very handy and very concealable. I like it alot but my brother liked it more so i gave it to him. It was on the small side at only 4.25" overall
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 08:35:00 PM »
Reddogge,  i felt the same way until i built one to try out. It was actually very handy and very concealable. I like it alot but my brother liked it more so i gave it to him. It was on the small side at only 4.25" overall
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline sledge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2012, 08:49:00 PM »
i carry a big neck knife when hog hunting.

mostly to look cool, like reddogge said.

i am outed.

my buddy carries a scandium 44 smith, which i admire and, frankly,  covet.

but not for bowhunting.  i am a gun hand, but backup firearms don't go with bowhunting for me.

don't mind duane having his magnum handy to save my bacon a bit, though!  

hogs, dogs, and bows get exciting.

joe

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2012, 09:01:00 PM »
Native Americans and Mountain men wore neck knives frequently.  Granted, ornamentation and looking cool were big with both cultures, but they also did so to have the knife handy.  I wear a neck knife almost all of the time when I am kayak fishing where it is the MOST handy way to have a blade available.  I also wear one occassionally to hunt with.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline sledge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2012, 09:22:00 PM »

Offline sledge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2012, 09:38:00 PM »
i just got a 10" bowie from ron laclair.

it's a beauty, and a bargain.  hand-forged, stag grips, $225.

won't be hanging from my neck, though.

i made a kydex sheath, and laced it into my backquiver.

the handle is right behind my little noggin.

i only have 2 dogs, and we are  tight. they would literally die for me,  and i need to do my part as well..

the knife is not  an ornament.  it is not jewelry.

it is a serious, last ditch weapon.

and it will be such wherever i carry it.

the idea that neck carry is phony,  showy, silly, just pisses me off.

reckon determined ignorance is hard to cure, though.  

joe

and it will be that if i hang it around my neck, as i justmight.

Offline ALwoodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2012, 09:56:00 PM »
I have a couple of neck knives.  I have found them useful in several situations.  One is I keep one on me when I am canoeing.  This keeps it out of the water if I need to get in to pull the canoe over a log or something.  I also do not have to worry about my knife falling out of my pocket.  I do not want a belt knife when I am canoeing because it is usually summer and I just have on a pair of lightweight shorts.  If I carry a folder it is not as convenient to pull out of my pocket, especially if I am sitting in the boat.

I also started taking one hunting because I use a waist pack and a belt knife gets in the way of the strap.  It is also in a good place if I fall out of my stand and am hanging in a harness and need to cut myself out.

Don't get me wrong they look cool around your neck but trust me I am more concerned about something being functional than making a fasion statement.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2012, 10:08:00 PM »
You just have to pick the proper neck knife.  I wear an Esee Izula with a Kydex sheath.  Small, thin and very rugged.

Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline SL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2012, 10:08:00 PM »
I think most were used back in the day for patch knives. They could reload the muskets faster with the knife on their neck to cut the patches. It was way handier,they also hung from the handles instead of the sheaths. Their real knives were elsewhere.
SL

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©