3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Schnee's hunter II  (Read 179 times)

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Schnee's hunter II
« on: June 15, 2012, 06:15:00 PM »
How are the Schnees hunter II in the water? Like for creek crossing and a little swamp crossing. I'm not talking about wading in water all day but do they leak bad? I'm kinda sick a paying big bucks for rubber knee boots that don't last.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Arrowest

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Schnee's hunter II
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 06:37:00 PM »
My son & I both have a pair of the Schnees Outfitter II boots and wear them most of the hunting seasons here in Alberta and find them excellent when faced with wet conditions or snow.  Recommend waterproofing the leather uppers well prior to wearing for the first time.  Also recommend getting a 2nd pair of liners to swap out if your feet sweat a lot, nice to have a dry pair for the evening sit.
cheers, Dale

"TGMM Family of the Bow"
Kempf - Raven 50@28, Kwik Styk 51@28, Li'l Grizzly 50@28,
Checkmate Hunter III, 50@28, Bear Kodiak Magnum (70's) 45@28

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 06:55:00 PM »
I love mine, I  apply the latex seam sealer several times during the year.  This plus good coatings of Montana Pitch Blend or mink oil have prevented mine from leaking so far....I hunt some swampy, nasty areas.  One stand I hunt every year I have to walk up a small brook to hide my entrance trail. Its ankle + deep and my Schnees havent taken on water yet.
David M. Conroy

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 09:48:00 PM »
Jim I have been looking at these too. Got the catalog in the mail last week. I think there my next boots.
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline stykbow67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 10:04:00 PM »
You won't be disappointed I actually have 2 pair, one with 10" uppers with adv sole for work and one with 13" uppers with T/T soles for play  :D . I've wore them for several hours in deep snow at work and the only reason my feet were wet was because they were sweating. They're worth every penney you'll spend for them IMO.

Steve

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 10:35:00 PM »
I have a pair of these.  Not cheap but a well made boot.  I live in TX so I don't get to wear them often.  They are great when I need them.  I have never had a leak but not sure how well the leather uppers would keep the water out for long periods of time.  It is thick leather.  With the right water proofing it should work well.

Offline str8jct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 10:47:00 PM »
I have the outfitters, I think they are the same as the hunters just without the liners.  I used seam sealer pretty thick on them 1st and they leaked.  Then I smothered them in snoseal and used a heat gun, dry as a bone, and I do mean smother.  The leather will eventualy leak if you stand in water for a while.  when mine leaked it was only at the seam at the top of the rubber.  Great boots, well made, if I had it to do over again I would get the ones with the liners.  The top of the rubber rubs my feet pretty good.

Offline Tracks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 03:00:00 PM »
You can make them pretty waterproof, but you have to invest time and TLC into caring for them to keep them that way. Plan on regularly cleaning them and re-sealing them between trips. If you get lined ones, you can pull the liners and wear wool socks and "bama sokkets" in 50-65 degree weather and still get a decent fit (works for me anyway). Bama sokkets are sweet in waterproof footwear, not sure if people have discovered them outside of AK/fishing ports.

Offline sledge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 05:33:00 PM »
i love my schnees.  i wallowed around in sorels for years in colorado winters before i discovered them.

they are the pure business.

joe

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 07:54:00 PM »
Jim,

If you want to try a rubber boot that does last try a pair of Xtratuf's.  They are ankle fit so hiking in them is excellent, and pretty comfortable.  And they're flexible enough that you can roll the tops down when its warm or to dry them out, like with rubber hip boots.
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 08:56:00 PM »
I own the Schnee's (in bison leather), and have had 2 other pairs in the past. Most of my hunting friends own Schnee's, too. I've used mine in Ohio, Utah, Yukon, NWT, Alaska, BC and elsewhere. I'm pretty sure I'll own a pair of Schnee's even after I hang up my bow. Damn good gear made in Montana!

Offline East Coast archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 12:33:00 PM »
Bought a pair last year after a recomendation from Rik.  I have one stream to cross (anywhere from 2-10" deep) to get to one side of my hunting property.  When I got them I applied a good coat of the Montana Pitch blend working it into the seams twice and after one season of use they never leaked.  So far so good and plan to clean and reapply every year.  Gotta say, I like them a lot bet then rubber boots.  I might wear rubber boots if I was hunting a swamp though.
"God gave you feet for a reason, so you can take a step forward and keep moving, even though it's hard, but you have to because the tides going to come in." TAC

Offline highplains55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2012, 04:47:00 PM »
schnees are made in my hometown,i have three pair of their boots,customer service is the best ,they back all their products,when the bottoms wear out i have them resoled.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©