3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tapered vs parallel shafts?  (Read 316 times)

Offline Rando

• Trad Bowhunter
Tapered vs parallel shafts?
« on: June 16, 2012, 10:16:00 AM »
Getting back to wood shafting after doing the aluminum thing for awhile... Gonna order a couple dozen (sitka spruce) in the next week and am contemplating tapered shafts. Everything I've shot for 30 years has been parallel.
So - is there a big advantage/is it worth the added expense or time?
Does it make the shafts harder to straighten or keep straight? Other issues?
Appreciate any feedback!!
Rando

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tapered vs parallel shafts?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 10:45:00 AM »
There may be a slight advantage to the taper but Im not sure I really notice it. I think they both straighten about the same.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 11:13:00 AM »
Don't see a difference in straighting or staying straight. Advantages if tapering the fletch end.I taper down to a 5/16 nock this gives me less finger pinch. It also makes the back lighter.Doesn't effect spine much and sorta adds a little weight forward.
I think the fletching clears a little better also.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 11:57:00 AM »
Over the last 10 years I've only used hill cane or sourwood shoots for arrows. They both are full taper naturally. Lately I've been using poplar shafts from Magnus and have been tapering the last 10" of these shafts myself. I really like how the tapered shafts get around the bow. They seem to be more spine tollerant than parallel shafting.
 You can easily taper your own wood shafts with a simple jig. Magnus may taper shafts for sale too. You should give the poplar shafts a try. They are very tough , stay straight and fly well.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Elk whisperer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 12:07:00 PM »
parrallel are tougher
The older I get the better I was

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 02:40:00 PM »
Why is parrallel tougher? The point end, where most arrows break is the original diameter. I've never had a problem with tapered shafting not being tough enough.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Huntingnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 03:40:00 PM »
I like tapered just for the cool factor, but I can't honestly say I've ever seen any difference in arrow flight between the two.Of course, I probably don't shoot well enough to notice any difference  :)

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 04:53:00 PM »
I taper them just because...........never noticed a difference. I taper the pointy end a little too especially with 23/64.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 06:51:00 PM »
Tapered wood "seems" a bit more forgiving on my non-centershot bows but with centershot recurves/longbows I see no real difference........
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 09:13:00 PM »
A lot of people say the taper helps with paradox, but I have never noticed the difference.  A taper from 23/64 to 5/16 is only 1/64" more clearance...  Carbons and aluminums are parallel....  A taper is cool, but that's probably all imo.

Offline Rando

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 09:57:00 PM »
Thanks for the responses. I'm thinking I am not a good enough shooter to really see the difference or make it worth the extra cost... that said, I may decide to give tapering shafts myself a try. Either way, looking forward to working with & shooting wood again!
Rando

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 12:28:00 AM »
I've shot both and prefer tapered enough that I taper all my shafts.  It does help with moving the FOC forward, but I feel it also "tillers" the arrow somewhat so that it bends more evenly.  They definitely shoot better for me.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2012, 12:47:00 AM »
I have some tapered and parallels.They shoot the same and i dont see any diffrence.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2012, 03:23:00 AM »
All I see is it raises the Price of the Shaft. Never Shot a Tapered, so cant give an Opinion, other than the Price Difference. If ya live on a Budget, as I do, ya save every GreenBack ya can!!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline LEWIS VADEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2012, 08:50:00 AM »
Parallel are much easier to straighten for me since I lay them on a flat surface and use a roller, but tapered shafts shoot much better for me.  Lately I have been using the breasted sitka spruce from Hildebrand.  I think these are the best I have ever shot.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2012, 09:19:00 AM »
Not a big difference. Now if we are able to throw in breasted tapered shafts then we have something. 11/32"-23/64"-5/16". I have never shot a more perfect wood arrow then the ones I have made this way. Ever wonder why a javelin is shaped the way it is? Yep, great aerodynamics. Also better weight forward.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2012, 02:27:00 AM »
Horace ford the greatest shooterof the york round shotparallels sk does davewallsace world champ .sorry to all you arrowsmiths. It does not make you a better shooter it just costs more.paul jalon makes dave wallaces arrows.ask him.
Arrow_Flynn

Offline lovethehunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2012, 08:30:00 AM »
I shot parallels from 1994 through 2006, then went to alumanum to get constistancy. In 2010 I tried carbon and now learned how to taper my own woods with a simple jig I made. I can now shot carbon or tapered wood out of the same bow with out any changes to my set-up. I like the tapered because they seem a little more forgiving to tune. Besides the extra step is making it your own way and being an indevidual is just more fun for me.

Offline deaddoc4444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2012, 12:20:00 PM »
I taper my own   but use a 14 inch taper instead of 10   NITRO STINGERS ( carbons ) are tapered .
   I believe they shoot nicer  tapered and they FIC is better . I HAVE not noticed them being any less durable.  Actually  think they are better than parallels.  Less weight in the rear slamming and compressing the front when it hits something .
   It DOES change the spine slightly ( especially if your taking off more than the standard 10 in taper ) but not too much.
HH Big 5 71# @29
Damon Howatt/Hunter 50@28
Damon Howatt/Ventura 45@28
Damon Howatt/Bushmaster 60@28
Leon Stewart/Slammer 52@28
BIG EAST  45@28
Fedora Xtreme/Hybrid 50@28
   "Leiber Hammer als Amboss"

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2012, 01:04:00 PM »
Arrow Flynn, you are correct, tapered does not make me a better shooter; only I can do that.  Tapered does however, make MY arrows fly better.  I've shot enuf of both to know.

Parallel shafts can without a doubt make excellent arrows.  The difference isn't great, but 25 years of shooting wood has shown me that there is a difference.  Tapered arrows go back at least as far as the Turks and have been "discovered" by several different archery cultures.  If there was no advantage to tapered arrows, man would not have invested so much effort into them.  JMHO
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©