3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 1 week and $1000....where would you go?  (Read 476 times)

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 1 week and $1000....where would you go?
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2012, 10:01:00 PM »
Sept elk in washington state. Thats gonna be my trip this year.
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2012, 12:29:00 PM »
Thats funny Sledge   :bigsmyl:  

Probably been on a dozen elk hunts from weekend to weekend no more then 9days total. Leave one day drive 24hrs rotating drivers get there the next, set up camp and start hunting. Its great during the week when nobody is around.

Leave the following weekend wishing you could stay a little while longer but most guys have family's and jobs and can't always take two weeks to hunt. We even bring meat home on most trips but not always and we know thats part of the shorter trips but at least were out there doing it.

If you do your home work and study the area you will be hunting with maps and photo's it sure improves your odds. We killed animals on the first day and the last and everyday in between. All for way less then a $1,000

Even pass up a few, First day first time on this mountain 5yds.

Good luck! You might check with KennyM in north east Missouri. He has a private land lease just for tradhunters and very well priced. Missouri tags are two deer and two turkeys for $225. Great place and a great guy  :thumbsup:
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2012, 04:00:00 PM »
Hogs in Texas. Can get a total package hunt with usually 2 hogs per hunter for about $500 per person. Then just drive down there.
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2012, 04:07:00 PM »
Agreed from the start.  You can drive splitting gas money and do Elk in CO for less than $1000.

LIke they said, leave Saturday morning early and get there Sunday morning early.  Partial set up of camp, SLEEP and then do some afternoon glassing.

One week 6 days of hunting and back home on Sunday.  A week in the Sptember Rockies is wirth it kill or no kill.

We did it last year for the first time and it was a GREAT adventure.  Saw some, didn't get a shot, and still worth doing every couple of years.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Glunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2012, 01:13:00 AM »
Elk.  I live near them, but that would be my first choice if I didn't.  

As for leaving, be packed, kiss the family and roll out after work on Friday.  Drive in shifts and you have camp set up Sat night.

No need for all kinds of fancy gear.  The old tent and sleeping bag in the garage will work fine.  Something to cook with, a cooler, a couple chairs and a trip to the grocery store.

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2012, 10:36:00 AM »
DIY antelope in Wyo.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2012, 11:08:00 AM »
South Texas for hogs, javies & jackrabbits.......OR Wyoming with OTC pronghorn 2 doe/fawn tags in my pocket. Right now, I'd give my right eye to do either.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2012, 12:39:00 PM »
I'd love to finally draw a moose tag...

but for me its elk.  thats why i live here.
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2012, 09:23:00 PM »
I would go to Co for elk it might cost you 200 more but would be worth it! For me this year 291.00 for Air Fair Like 595.00 for tags 65.00 for my share off rental car I don't count food I have to eat anyways So for me it will cost me 1000.00 for my elk hunt.   Widow

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2012, 01:08:00 PM »
Elk by yourself for under $1000. Forget it.
The tag alone is almost 600, unless you want to shoot cow only. Leaves you $410. If you get 18 mpg for around 1500 miles each way, you'll look into min. $300 in gas each way. Now you haven't eaten anything yet. And a week is way too short.
I would not even leave my homestate for only a week. It is not worth the cost to hunt the same kind of animals you can hunt at home and have to buy a non-resident tag.

Offline sledge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2012, 03:06:00 PM »
glad i could give you a laugh, ks trapper.

looks to me like missouri and indiana are between kansas and ohio, though.

i assumed the man would likely not know the country, and might be hunting alone.

more power to you if you want to hunt like that, driving 24 hours straight and all.

to each his own.

joe

Offline stick flipper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2012, 11:12:00 PM »
I did a week hunt in colorado a few years ago for elk. Saw and heard plenty of elk...just no shot. It is def. worth the price of admission and the 27 hour drive!!!!! Thanks for the ideas.....I'm a dreamer so I love having options!

Offline sledge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2012, 11:59:00 PM »
if you do decide on colorado elk, email me if you like.

i saw 1 once.

joe

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2012, 02:36:00 AM »
Not even a second thought,to northern alberta with my son and son-in-law,bowhunting moose and elk twenty-five miles back in the hills,with tents and woodburning stoves.Lots of coin would be left over.It doesn't get any better for me.Can't wait for September.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©