3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow for a young un' ???  (Read 1859 times)

Offline cajuntec

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow for a young un' ???
« on: January 16, 2007, 02:56:00 PM »
I have a bit of a delima, and I was hoping someone might have some input to help me out here.  My young son (just turned 3 on Christmas day) wants to do everything I do.  Understandable - I hear that from a lot of dads.  I don't push him into anything, as I know parents that do, and it makes some of the kids hate the sport they get pushed into.  However, my son loves to bass fish with me, and I never pushed him to try it - even the first time - he just wanted to come with me in the boat, so I brought him along.  After catching my first fish, he was in my lap, insisting "I do it, I do it".  After that, I got him his own rod and he casts better and more accurately than a lot of adults I know.  He stays with me - during the course of an outing, he seldom ever puts the rod down.  He normally catches several each trip, and only asks for help when "I gotta big one!" comes up.

But I digress.... anyway - back to the subject.  I shoot in the backyard, and he wants to come out with me.  I keep him in the house with his mom while I'm out back, but every time I come in, he wants to hold the bow.  I asked him the other day if he wanted to shoot it, and he got excited (no way he was going to do it - my brace height is about his draw length - Ha!)  Anyway, he didn't want to let go of the bow, and insisted that we go shoot the "bumblebee" (I have a Morrell Yellow Jacket target, and he calls the YJ a "bumblebee").  So, I am considering buying him a bow - but I don't want a "suction cup" bow - I'm scared that he will see that as a toy, and I want to instill in him that this is no toy - it's a dangerous weapon.  I'm running into a few problems though - nobody in my area has kids bows, least of all left handed kids bows.  I know he is left handed, but I am unsure of eye dominance, as I can't get him to do the test I was told to give him (have him point at something with both eyes open, and then have him close each eye one at a time and see where he points) - he thinks that is a game - which also scares me into thinking "maybe I should wait longer".

Any suggestions?  Should I wait longer, or buy him a youth bow now.  He is 37" tall, and weighs 36 pounds.  I don't know his draw length yet, but I guess I could do the wing span test.  If it's ok to start him out now, could you recommend a youth bow (left handed) that I should buy for him, or a bowyer to contact for something like that.

All the best,
Glenn
If at first you don't succeed.... buy newer / better equipment!

Greywolf Custom Longbow  
Chek-Mate Custom Hunter 56 Recurve

Offline ONE SHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow for a young un' ???
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 03:39:00 PM »
Give Dean Torges a phone call His number is 1-740-815-3070 or 1-740-666-2861. Dean has plans for making kids bows out of Ratan, real simple to follow, and won't cost more than $25.00 for the Ratan material. He will be more than willing to help you out getting started with making your Son  His first Bow. Then later as He gets a little older if He is still interested in Archery, You may consider upgrading to a Custom Bow for Him. I build Kids Bows 36" long and 48" long, weights from 10# on the 36" Recurve Bow, up to 35# and 40# for the 48" Recurve Bows...ONE SHOT...

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 03:48:00 PM »
Too young get him a suction cup bow but make him learn not to shoot it at a person .I tried to get my grandson a better bow but didn't work put it up for now and got a cheap one just to play with but his older sister fell in love with it and is shooting it now.Kip

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 03:51:00 PM »
Try Elk Ridge Archery...662-623-9457...Makes cool little kids bows that look just like dads!...When he outgrows it you can trade up for another one!!!

www.elkridgearchery.com

Good Luck!   >>-----> mike <-----<<
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline bjk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 04:00:00 PM »
My son has a lil Kodiak...has had it since he was 1...drags it around the house and has pretty good form with it  ;)   He likes  shooting it and we work on right and wrong every time he handles it.  Took a few times for him to not dry fire it, but what are ya gonna do  :knothead:

Elk Ridge is a great recommendation...they'll be tough to beat.

Offline cajuntec

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 05:19:00 PM »
The Elk Ridge Squirt 36 looks like a good bow for him, but they only have it in "pink" right now, which I'm not too keen on for his first bow.  Someone on another site recommended that I check out the BlackRhinos, and they look like a good choice.  I'll probably get him one of those.
All the best,
Glenn

Greywolf Custom Longbow  

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 05:42:00 PM »
Never too young.  I have a Black Rhino collecting dust.  It should work fine for your boy.  My daughter turned out to be left eye dominant.  Shoot me a pm or email with your address and I will send it to you.

Gregg
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 05:44:00 PM »
Oops, I just saw that he is left handed.  Same problem I had.  If you want it, it is still yours.  If not, it goes to the next trad ganger that wants it.
MOLON LABE

Come shoot with us!

Offline pointy sticks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 05:48:00 PM »
I just picked up one of those cheep fiberglass bows for me three year old. It's something like 9.5# @ 20". I got it through my local Trad shop and I think it's made by Martin. Cost me about $30 Cnd so you should be able to get one around $20-$25 US
make em pretty and shoot em straight.

Secretary and Membership Chair
Bowhunters Association of Nova Scotia

Traditional Archers Association of Nova Scotia (member)

Archers Association of Nova Scotia (Member)

Offline thp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 05:53:00 PM »
check out the three rivers catalog for a good selection of youth bows, even for peewees.  When he gets a little older check out the classifieds here.    I got my kids a nice little 10 pound recurve off of a fellow tradganger.  I just purchased a very nice 15 pound long bow from Ed Mikuta.  Good guy.
Be kind and merciful. Let no one ever come to you without coming away better and happier. -Mother Teresa

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 06:30:00 PM »
They are NEVER "Too Young"!!!!!

My youngest son Tyler started shooting at 2 1/2 years old and was walking and shooting a whole 30 target 3D coarse by the time he was 3. (Boy did he sleep good after that!!!!!)

START'EM YOUNG!!!!!   :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Dances with drums

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 08:16:00 PM »
It's never too young to get them hooked on the outdoors in some way, even if it's just walking on trails in the woods. Give 'em a good life-long hobbey.
"You can shoot a compound and use your binoculars and be all serious, or you can shoot a trad bow and have fun just flinging arrows at a target. Me, I choose option number two" -Me (Josiah Vivian)

Offline cajuntec

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2007, 09:23:00 PM »
Gregg Dudley - extremely generous offer.  I'd be happy to take you up on it.  I have emailed you with my address, and I'd be happy to pass it on to the next tradganger after my son outgrows it.

To everyone else that replied - than you very much.  I looked at the fiberglass bows at 3Rivers, but they are just not what I am looking for.  I think the BlackRhino is going to be the ticket for him.

I'm excited about him wanting to shoot.  A few friends and I go stumping every once in a while, and I can't wait to teach him to shoot safely and start taking him along on our stumping walks through the woods.  

I've received some extremely good advice on several traditional sites, and can't wait to get him involved in the sport.  

Thank you all very much.

All the best,
Glenn

Greywolf Custom Longbow  

Offline Goatpacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2007, 11:17:00 PM »
Black Rhino! I bought 2 just before x-mas to put under the tree. My boys are older 9,12 but they have bows with draw weight down to 6lbs I believe. These bows are very well made and look like what daddy shoots. I could not believe the way these little bows perform. The 58" 40lb flat out smokes an arrow. The 48" 20lb with the right arrow and head would take a wtdeer. They have a 35" 9lb for ages 2-3. He told me that they can trade up (gives 75% on trade in).These people were as nice as anyone could be, and for the price they charge they must really get a lot out of statring youngsters into archery with the right tools.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2007, 11:21:00 PM »
Check Out  "The Lost Nation"  Used Bow Section as well!  :thumbsup:   They have Many New and Used Kids Bows in House. Larry wont steer ya Wrong!!  :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2007, 08:54:00 AM »
Glenn,

I received your email and will put the bow in the mail by Friday.  

Gregg
MOLON LABE

Come shoot with us!

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2007, 09:39:00 AM »
I'm going to second the Black Rino bows.  they are quality and affordable.  The trade up policy makes it a no brainer.

IMHO

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2007, 09:45:00 AM »
I'm struggling with that "too young" question myself.  I have twins, a boy and a girl, that will be 4 next week and they seem interested in bows.  They like to watch me shoot and "help" me pull the arrows out of the target.  They want their own bows (they had two suction cup bows but they fell apart).  I'm trying to decide if they are old enough for a decent bow.  I know it's different for each kid depending on their disposition.  I think they may be able to safely use them this summer.  I'm basing my decision on how well they listen to instructions and their attention span.  I will probably try to make them a bow since I can't afford to buy two.  The kids board bow post that was on here before christmas seemed like a good canidate.

Offline buks2hunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2007, 10:10:00 AM »
I bought my daughter a Black Rhino when she was 4. It is 7#'s @ 15" and she loves it. Sometimes she is the reason that I go shoot. Black Rhino has a great deal the trade up plus it all comes in a set. Half dozen 1/4" arrows, target faces, quiver, arm guard, and a little pin on button that they can wear supporting traditional archery.

Talondale: You just need to remember with the little ones that a 40 arrow session may be to much. Shut it down when they are getting a little on the crazy side and you will have hunting buddies for along long time.

Bill
Big bucks look good on the wall, but I still haven't found a way to tenderize those bones!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©