3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Andy Ivy does it AGAIN!  (Read 841 times)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Andy Ivy does it AGAIN!
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2012, 08:10:00 AM »
:bigsmyl:    :jumper:      :jumper:      :jumper:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Irish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2012, 08:13:00 AM »
Great job!   Mick and Andy are two of the best.  :thumbsup:
Mel Riley

Online Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2012, 09:55:00 AM »
I love your posts!!!
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2012, 03:16:00 PM »
a truly great adventure

Did Andy get a hair cut?

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2012, 03:34:00 PM »
Someday....until then congrats on a fine animal! I look forward to the day when I get to go. Looking forward to reading more about your adventure!
Mike Davenport

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2012, 04:12:00 PM »
Great pics guys, looking forward to the full tale.
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2012, 07:36:00 PM »
Aweing!

I love the swimming hole!

:notworthy:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:    :campfire:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2012, 09:11:00 PM »
Good stuff....CONGRATS!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline vintage archer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2012, 10:22:00 PM »
Craig , Congratulations. All the time you spent researching and preparing paid off.    :clapper:
Joe Furlong

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2012, 11:26:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2012, 01:54:00 AM »
Nice buff, Craig. Glad you guys are getting Andy and Mick warmed up for my return hunt in July. The Tuffheads look great, and I'm glad they did the job well. I will be taking a couple of broadheads to shoot, test and compare, the Tuffhead 300 with 100 grain adapter (total 400 grains) and the VPA 325 grain single bevel 2 blade offset head. If the Tuffhead 225 will penetrate a buff like that one, the Tuffhead 300 ought to be overbuilt for the task. Your pictures take me back and fill me with excitement and anticipation.

Pat, I'm eager to hear your stories. I have a good feeling ...      :archer:    

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2012, 05:06:00 AM »
What a place    :clapper:  

Thanks for sharing and congrats with a nice bull!
With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey      :thumbsup:    

-----------------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2012, 05:52:00 AM »
Awesome adventure! Can't wait on the story. Congrats on a fine buff!
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline xma

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2012, 11:09:00 PM »
Thanks again everyone, my feet haven't touched the ground yet. Andy's hair is still the same Buff, and could you believe they never even touched my dip???

Charlie, that warm spring swimming hole is a gem, sadly we only got to visit it once. The pics don't do it justice...

Thanks Joe! The preparations did pay off, but now I'm wondering how to prepare for high stress
action like that--10.0 on the adreno-meter!!!

Allan, Andy and Mick are now fully warmed up after Patrick, you should do well with either head, although at 400 gr that granddady of the TuffHead line is gonna be awesome...It was your posts last year that I referenced for terrain and conditions, very descriptive and spot on!Wish you and Doug luck--go get 'um!!!

Offline Bivyhunter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2012, 12:11:00 AM »
Craig, congrats! I love the pics, can't wait to check that country out for myself someday. I told Ryan I would gladly hideout in your luggage, but he said he already had dibs and there wasn't enough room for both of us  :(

Offline xma

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2012, 03:51:00 AM »
Hey South, helluva bow I was "brainwashed" into carrying, lol....
Ryan could just about fit in my carryon, may even make weight  :scared:  And with your skills IF you could just somehow manage to make a takedown version of yourself, it just might work....

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2012, 02:25:00 AM »
Craig -- Thanks for warming up Andy and Mick for us! I know we will have a great time following in your footsteps, hopefully ending with a shot at the kind of buff you took. Glad you think the Tuffhead 300s will work well. They sure look good. And so do the VPAs.

My 70# Shrew Safari was spitting out 1000 grain arrows at about 150 fps as Pat Kelly and I measured it through a chronograph at the range today. That may not sound like much, but those arrows are 14.2 gpp, which is very high. My 850 grain arrows are coming out of my Safari at 160 fps, and they are a hefty 12.1 gpp.  At 10 gpp, I expect I would get a very respectable 170+ fps out of the Safari. These are very close to the same speeds I get from the 68# Super Shrew Samurai "Buffalo Bow" I used last year, which makes sense when there is only a 2 pound difference between them. The biggest difference is the beauty and strength of the Safari, which Gregg says is far and away the stronger of the two bows. Either one is strong enough for me, but it's nice to have the additional confidence that my bow won't let me down. Now I just need to make sure Mick doesn't drive over the bow. Do you have any chronograph testing on the velocity of the arrows you were shooting, Craig? I know you have a shorter draw length, which will also have an effect.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline xma

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2012, 03:07:00 AM »
Allan, sounds like you're geared up and ready to roll--you could shoot a tank with that bow/arrow combo!!!

@26" and 71lbs the Stalker got 166fps (3 shot ave) with my 790gr arrow. When I first began putting an arrow together I was getting about 151-2 fps with a 872gr arrow, and then even tried to go heavier but didn't like the trajectory. The arrow weight I settled on seemed to be in a "sweet spot" range that the Stalker liked and was most efficient.

I'm trying to stretch my arms longer, but no success  :help: .

I envy you and Doug for being able to return--sounds like this may be it for awhile unless somehow Mick manages to find new grounds--make it count buddy!

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2012, 03:36:00 AM »
I think you did the right thing by finding that "sweet spot", Craig. The additional 3 1/2 inches of stroke I get at my 29.5" draw length can make a significant difference, even though our bows are basically the same poundage at our respective draw lengths. That really seems to show up with the heaviest arrows. Doug and I will do our best to kill buffs as nice as the one you got! I was convinced I could not exceed the buff I got last year, but Pat Kelly tells me it is a distinct possibility based on some of the animals he saw, especially since we will be camping where Marty Thomas (BUFF) did when he shot 4 buffaloes.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2012, 03:56:00 AM »
Don't you guys ever sleep, lol.  Once again, congrats on a fine animal, Craig.  And Allan is going to do well with his setup, for sure.  Good night, guys.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©