3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: BigJim/ back from the Bear visit !  (Read 1576 times)

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
Re: BigJim/ back from the Bear visit !
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2012, 01:26:00 PM »
Better leave that camo suit home, the one, that makes you like like a giant bear standing on two feet. Have fun and good hunting.   :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2012, 03:10:00 PM »
Good luck Jim!!!
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2012, 04:58:00 PM »
Good luck to you guys , be safe . Drew  :thumbsup:
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Online DWT

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2012, 06:23:00 PM »
Jim, Im glad I bought that schafer off you @ compton so you could aford to go.  :bigsmyl:

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2012, 06:55:00 PM »
Hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip.
Having done so much, with so little, for so long, I can now do anything with nothing.

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2012, 07:45:00 PM »
GOOD LUCK BIG JIM!!!!!

Bisch

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2012, 07:52:00 PM »
Good luck. Make sure you hit a waffle house before you get too far.  They ain't got them up north.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2012, 07:54:00 PM »
No Waffle House???
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline longbowray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2012, 08:19:00 PM »
Good luck !!!
BOWHUNTTER FOR LIFE

Offline statedriller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2012, 08:35:00 PM »
Beat them like the Packers would....   :D
I'm getting more dangerous all the time...

Offline Ragin Bull

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2012, 09:03:00 PM »
Good luck Big Jim!

We'll be waitin.....  :campfire:
Graywolfwoolens.com

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Life Member of Comptons

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2012, 09:26:00 PM »
Thanks guys for all the "Luck"! My wife and I are buzzing around, packing all our stuff. Well, we are packing what we can find. Everything is strewn all over since the end of hunting season.

I am planning on sitting on the ground mostly and hunting with the bush in the bag suit. I have taken a bear from the ground before and the excitement level is incredible.

We have packed and weighed all of our bags and after building a couple of quivers will retire for the night.

I intend on holding out for a larger bear at least for a couple of days. Maybe I can get one that weighs more than me. Wally has a huge bear coming in and has been saving it for my wife. I think he might like her better.

Parker is our friends son and in reality has priority since he has never taken a bear.

Well, lots to do yet.
more details when I get back, bigjim

details when I get back
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline kibok&ko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2012, 03:51:00 AM »
have a good time in the wood !
save a cow eat a vegetarian !

Online Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2012, 07:25:00 AM »
Hope you two have a great trip and get some needed R&R
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline T Lail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2012, 08:50:00 AM »
Good hunting Jim......
NCBA Life Member
Compton Member
Carolina Traditinal Archers
Bowhunter Education Instructor

Offline rbcorbitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2012, 06:02:00 PM »
Good Luck, Big Jim, to you and the Mrs. Big Jim.

Not that you are at a loss for bows, but if i had known that you were heading after bruins, I would have insisted that you hold on to Snake Eyes a bit longer and break her in Big Jim fashion!

Look forward to the stories!
"I would rather be amongst forest animals and the sounds of nature, then amongst city traffic and the noise of man" - A.D. Williams

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2012, 08:02:00 AM »
Well, we got back yesterday and as always, it was a very enjoyable trip.
We all had fun, but no bears were brought back to the states.
Our trip started out with missing luggage and a liesurely stay a local hotel while we waited for it to arrive.
The following day we trekked to Wally's place near Fredricton NB. After purchasing our license's, we shook out the gear and went to the woods.
Baits were all being hit, but a lot of early feeders. I have never spent so much time in a bear stand. We would arive about 10:am and sit until 10:pm.
Not norm for Bear hunting, but we were routinely seeing bears around noon - 3pm.
For some reason, Barbara never got to see a bear. I had one encounter early on while sitting on a ground stand I set up using my bush in the bag poncho but the bear was not as big as my last so I let him walk.
On the last day, I had two bears at the bait when I walked in at 10:am and then one bear came back at 2: and then returned every hour for the next 4. He acted very nervous and never stayed long, besides he too was too small so I passed.

About 6:, the biggest living bear I had ever seen showed up and he was a Whopper! I understand that most everyone over estimates the size of bears, but this big boy looked like a fall bear with a BigJim sized head and belly. he stood well over the top of the 55gal drum and made it look rather small. My official guess of weight would be over 450 lbs.
He came in and sat down on the back side of the barrel(maybe 12 yards away). As I waited for things to develop, his nose went up in the air and he was gone.
Unfortunatly, the wind had been circling that day. I had been hoping that the bears would not be able to discern the difference between my scent and that of the guide doing the baiting. No such luck and that was the end of my bear encounters.
Parker (the son of a friend that joined us)had been fortunate to see bears (as many as 4) every evening. A couple were nice, but to his credit, he was holding out for a jaw dropper. That is not something you see from many hunters and even less from youth hunters.
On his last evening in stand, he was encountering bears as usual, but it was not until late that his turn came up.
I believe the big bear that had visited my stand meandered to his.
Parker told me that this bear was so much larger than anything he had seen that he had gotten immediately excited and new he would shoot given the opportunity. The bear layed down in front of the barrel and reached in with his paw and head, but was too big to go much further in.
At about 20 yards, Parker sent a broadhead deep into the bear.
We looked for the bear a little the evening of the hunt, but for lack of blood (common even on the best shot placements on bears), we had to plan a daylight search.
By the time we started searching in the morning, it had been raining for several hours, but we had a crew of people to help and I was feeling good. At about 50 yards, we found the fmj arrow on the ground with the broadhead absent. No doubt the pt was stuck in a bone as the shaft was broken and missing the head.
We searched for several hours using grid search and compass but were unable to recover the big bear. Unfortunatley we couldn't stay and look another day due to our airline itinerary.
I know Parker had to be devastated as I know that I would have been. He handled it like a champ and we worked out plans on what we would do different for the next bear hunt.

All in all, it was an enjoyable experience and it has left us all with a heated desire for the next bear hunt.
Back at work, BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2012, 09:33:00 AM »
thanks for the update.  My condolences to Parker, a lost animal is never easy to take, and even harder on a whopper of your first. Hopefully the guide will find it, but The woods of New Brunswick can be thick and formidable.  I will put out some positive mojo.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2012, 09:34:00 AM »
Sorry you didn't get the big one, but sounds like a great time.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2012, 09:50:00 AM »
Great story Jim, sounds like a memorable trip in spite of Parkers loss. Let's hope the Guide finds him. I would love to visit the northeast someday and check out those New Brunswick Blackies.....  Just getting close to a Big Bear is a real heart pumper!!!
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©