3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow's, Boy's, Bogs' and Frog's (7/3 UPDATED PIC's)  (Read 1434 times)

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Bow's, Boy's, Bogs' and Frog's (7/3 UPDATED PIC's)
« on: July 01, 2007, 09:24:00 AM »
First, I want to thank "Bowmofo" for creating the "OHIO MEMBER" thread. This gave us Buckeye Tradgang members a chance to see who may be living close by. Just so happens, I found that "Bowhunterksb32" lives about an hour away from me. He hunts some of the same woods I hunt and we began chatting via PM's here on the site. Yesterday, we decided to hook up at the wildlife area we hunt to get to meet, get to know each other, swap stories and do a little frog gigging with our bows and gig's.

During our chats here, I found that Bowhunterksb32 had a 6 year old Son (Soon to be 7 years old!) That has been shooting bows since he could draw one back. His Father recently gave up the wheelie bows for good and has gone traditional. His Son Easton now wants a bow like his Dad's longbow. Easton has been shooting a compound for a while and I thought this boy needs a selfbow. and I am the fellow that could hook him up with one to help inspire his interests in traditional archery.

It's great that here on the tradgang, what comes around goes around! See, I have had many people on this site offer me good advice and that has encouraged me, helped me through tough times and has unselfishly gave me gifts to help keep the traditional archer in me thriving. For instance when I was down and had surgery "the Ferret" Mickey Lotz went well out of his way to come for a visit to cheer me up. Without thought he and other sent me items to help me through the recovery and gave me the confidence that I would shoot bows and build bows again. Now it is my turn to give something back to the sport of traditional archery and our great site the Tradgang.

Knowing I was to meet Bowhunterksb32 and his Son, I wanted to give them something when we met, this seems to be the tradition of traditional archery. I had a low weight self induced Mickey L. snake bow and thought I could cut it down for the young man of 6yrs (going on 7 yrs!). I cut about ten inches off each end of the snakey osage and retillered it to about 20# @ 25". This way he could grow with the bow and still be able to shoot it now.

The bow is now 47" and is the same hieght as 6 yr old Easton (soon to be 7 yrs old). No the best tiller job I've done, but when I shot the little reclaimed bow I was impressed with the performance. I could not wait to see the boys face when I would give it to him. I added in a hand twisted flemish string that I made and some muskrat string silincers donated to me by the Ferret during our recent visit together.

Profile of the osage selfbow I named "Lil' Snake"

Braced

Full draw

I meet the two at the wildlife area a couple hours before dark, so that we could meet and get to know each other before dark. It was a real pleasure, the two were real fine people and I was impressed how Scott had raised his boy to be polite and respectful, as well as a good archer by the age of 6 yrs (going on 7 years).

After talking a bit, I handed Easton the Lil Snake bow and he said "This is a small bow." I asked him to read the writtng on the bow and he read " For Easton". A big smile came across his face. He was the proud owner of his first traditional bow.

His Dad and I set up a water bottle for Easton to shoot at and I could not believe at about twelve yards the boy hit the bottle at least the first 4 shots that he took. I said WOW! We took a couple pictures and off we went to hunt some frogs.

Easton and new friend (Me!)

Stay tuned for the rest of the story,,,,,
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow's, Boy's, Bogs' and Frog's (7/3 UPDATED PIC's)
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 09:37:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  way to go!!

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 09:40:00 AM »
Here are some pics of his first few shots.

Score!

Easton and his Dad bowhunterksb32

Because of the long dry spell, some of the swamps were dry and by looking at the foot prints around the waters edge, we deduced that someone had already gigged frogs were we were at. We hit two different areas and had some luck, though not alot. Agian I was impresed that Easton was not a bit scared and went into the tall weeds and swamp just like the big guys. He never complained and was very eager to get at the frogs. Because Easton had taken frogs last year with his compound bow and since it was set up for fishing, he decided to use it for frogs rather than his new selfbow. I did not mind as all I wanted was for him to remain interested.

Dad getting ready to stick'm with his custom longbow

First frogs in the bag

Easton blinded by my light.

And the all famous trophy picture

All in all it was a fun time. We a got a few frogs and gained a new friendship all inpart and due to the well respected TRADGANG site.

Thank you all!

We plan to do this again real soon and the guy's are going to let me tag along on their next 3D archery shoot.

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 10:11:00 AM »
That is Cool!!

Offline PaPaFrank

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 10:45:00 AM »
Very Cool Joe!! That's what its all about!  Thanks so much for sharing...
Keep it Simple
TGMM  Family of the Bow
PBS

Offline bowhunterksb32

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 10:47:00 AM »
I to would like to thank "Bowmofo" for His Ohio member thread. I have been bouncing back and forth between my compound and longbow for about 5 years now. My lack of being able to shoot consitently kept me going back to the compound. The compound was never the same after shooting the long bow. Oh I had fun and still enjoyed bowhunting,but shooting in the yard and 3d was never the same. I dont remeber which one of the Wensel Brothers  said that when they shoot "traditional bows" It's like they lauch with the arrow and wtih a compound the bow just goes off and the arrow heads toward the target. I felt that from the first shot with the longbow and the compound was never the same after that.

I would like to thank "Osagetree" again for gving the bow to easton.  I'm sure  you could tell last night that he was excited about the bow but I dont think you understand how much it meant to him. I broke down yesterday and told him about the bow and was extremly impressed that he let Joe show us the bows and stuff he brought and never once aske where's my bow.

WE had agreat time last night,and when we got home he wanted to sleep with the bow. Mom read the thread to him this morning and she got a kick out of the going on 7 part.Everytime somone ask how old he is  ,he's alwasy says his age then adds but i'malmost the next age. He's getting impatient with me now  he wants His Arrows made so he can shoot. Now if i can just turn a 5/16 dowel into an arrow all will be well.If i can find a new battery for the camera  i'll post pics of the arrows and eastons shooting later today.

I had tried to make a bow a few years back and all attemps failed. I'm going to give it another goand see what happens.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 11:44:00 AM »
Joe first let me say it's get to see you back up and starting up your great threads again.I really enjoyed this one as usual. You sure made alot of folks happy all around.Keep up the good work.

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 12:11:00 PM »
That's what it's all about Joe!! Good on you!!

Congrats to Easton on the new bow!!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 12:36:00 PM »
Good pics, i love to see those kids outside were they belong. My son and i were chasing woodchucks and eating raspberries this morning, we did more eating than chucking   :goldtooth:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline bowhunterksb32

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2007, 07:21:00 PM »
I got easton 2 arrows made and he shot most of the day. The arrows fletchings look awful ,but he had a blast with them.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2007, 10:09:00 PM »
That is COOL guys!! He'll never forget his first longbow!!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2007, 07:30:00 AM »
Good on ya Joe, looks like you made a young man very happy and made a couple of friends and possibly a new huntin bud. How cool is that?

BTW how's the wrist doing?
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline AnointedArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2007, 03:15:00 PM »
Yea, that's what I am talking about  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
John 8:36
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2007, 05:11:00 PM »
Thanks guy's. But, I am telling you that kid is a natural. His Dad Scott, Pm'd me today and said they were going again tonight. The big story was that Easton wants to use the osage selfbow this time. His Dad made up a couple arrows for him. Easton had practiced all day yesterday and I guess his confidence is up! He'll soon discover the extreme satisfaction of taking a trophy bull (frog) by wood bow and wood arrow.

Mickey, Kenny, Tom and the others; FYI - the wrist is doing good. As you can see I am building and shooting again. That is until Sept. they may want to remove the metal plate if it keeps bothering me. For now, it makes a nice stable platform for my bow hand!!!! It may not be good for deer season.

Hey Easton,,,, are you 7 years old yet? You did say you were going on 7 years old.    :archer:

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2007, 07:33:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:    :clapper:   Great Job All.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline bowhunterksb32

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2007, 11:01:00 AM »
Easton got several frogs last night with his li snake bow. He had a blast. Most were small but he did manage tog et three nice ones. pics to come later.

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2007, 03:43:00 PM »
YEEHAAW!   :archer:  

Now, come on with them pic's!   :coffee:    :jumper:

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2007, 03:55:00 PM »
Ahhh the sheer joy of being a little boy with a wooden bow and a couple of arrows.    :clapper:
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline bowhunterksb32

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2007, 06:08:00 PM »
Ok this is my first time posting pics here so if it works more to follow. This is a pic of the bow and the poor ecuse for arrows that i made.

Offline bowhunterksb32

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2007, 06:21:00 PM »
ok a few more. upclose pic of first time trying to tie flecthing on. and a pic of arrow with stain from walnuts in the yard.these will be the last 2 til i know if i sized them right then i'll post pics of frogs last night

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©