3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Found an arrow on my deck  (Read 484 times)

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
Found an arrow on my deck
« on: June 19, 2012, 05:39:00 PM »
Got home from work and did a little shooting, put my gear away and started helping out with homework. Heard a weird sound didn't pay much attention to it until the doorbell rang. Youngster from next door wanted to know if he could retrieve an arrow from my backyard.
To be honest I thought he was talking about one of those nerf arrows. Well I was a little shocked when I saw it was a full length carbon arrow.
Now I know what it's like to be a kid, heck we are all still shooting bows and arrows right, but I've got two young one's myself, but the difference is they don't touch a bow or arrow unless I am standing right next to them.
I saw that the boy's parents were not home and let me tell you, his Mom is a real tough nut. I'm curious as hell if he is going to fess up. She has those kids on a tight leash.
I don't plan on saying anything unless I'm asked. Or if I see him aiming my way again for sure. Problem I have is the kid was using a compound bow, dang it if his parents are not raising him right.
I know it would be the Tradgang way to offer to coach the boy, but if you knew his mother, you'd respect me in minding my own business. There isn't a mother on our street that will say two words to her.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Duker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Found an arrow on my deck
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 05:57:00 PM »
Teaching is a great gift  :thumbsup:   Show him the proper way to shoot weather it be long bow,recurve,or compond bow  :archer2:

Offline bowzonly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 05:57:00 PM »
Keep the mother out of it.  Dont scold him just review some safety rules.

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 05:57:00 PM »
At least the kid has interest in shooting a bow. If it was me, I would at least make darn sure his target/backstop is in a safe place so his stray arrows don't end up in your yard, the other neighbor's yard, or in someone's body.  :scared:
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 06:01:00 PM »
Teach him the right way,cause with a mom like that he will rebel at some point(and go the wrong way,and take his anger out on animals with the bow). At least he will have the value of learning from a person who has empathy and compassion.JMHO
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 06:02:00 PM »
I don't know how well you know the young man but it took some courage to ring your door bell.
It certainly would be a good opportunity to address the safety rules of shooting. Maybe send a invitation the next time your shooting.
So many neighbor hoods don't allow any shooting even in your own yard. Many times the police would have been called in the same scenario .
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 06:06:00 PM »
The parents know I shoot and the boy shoots at a local range with an excellent kids program.
What I am afraid of is if I approach the Mom, she will probably take the bow away from the kid. In my opinion they are extremely overprotective of the child. They are they type of family that loves to report on other neighbours. Trust me if I tell you if the arrow went into the other neighbours yard, the police would of been called and a 13 year old boy would of been scarred.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 06:09:00 PM »
When I was in the 5th-6th grade I did some doozy things with a bow that could have gotten me in lots of trouble. I had to discover on my own (Dad just didn't "get" bows), too much by trial and error what worked, was advisable and what didn't or wasn't.  

I'm glad a couple of neighbors didn't rat me out. One nice lady retrieved one of my arrows from her yard and reminded me that she had a small child. I was horrified with the thought that I could have  hurt someone. That was all it took to clean up my act.

I like the advice here to help the youngster out a bit with a sound backstop and shooting direction advice.

The life you save (or property) might be your own.

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 06:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by LongStick64:
a full length carbon arrow.

Hey,see if you can cut it down and tune it to your bow,if it works out let him keep shooting them into your yard!  :D  

Just kidding,like someone said,at least he manned up and knocked on your door to ask. I'd show him some of the trad bows.If he seems like a good kid,you might get a shootin' buddy out of it. If his mom is that nutty,you might be doing him a favor as well.  :thumbsup:

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 06:19:00 PM »
even if mom is a battle-axe, it would probably be a good move to give him a few pointers.  Not a dressing-down, just some friendly tips.  You might even invite him over to shoot with you.  I'd probably leave mom out of it for now, I used to referree youth soccer, and there aren't many things worse than an angry mother on a rampage...

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 06:35:00 PM »
Tell the mom since you shoot and you know the boy does if it would be ok if he came and learned a few tips from you when you shoot. That way she will know he will be supervised and learn from a respectful archer.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 07:03:00 PM »
I'd keep it between you and the kid. He did the right thing and manned up. Maybe invite him to go to a 3-D shoot with you and you'll have a friend for life. Drop a dime on him and you'll be a no good rat.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline sore fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 07:19:00 PM »
If he told you he might tell his parents too. Either way I bet he has leaned a good lesson. Ive been in his shoes. When I was 16 I was in our backyard shooting my compound. I was messing with the release trying to get a hair trigger. Well at about 3/4 draw the thing went off its self. After I recovered from my hand smacking my face, I looked up to see my arrow sticking out of my neighbors house. That was a bad walk to his front door. Ive known them my whole life but when i told him what i had done i felt like crap. He thanked me for being man enough to come to the door and tell him, insted of just jumping the fence and getting it myself. I moved my target as soon as i got home and told my parents. They were not happy but knew i had learned a great lesson! Just as im sure this kid has.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 08:01:00 PM »
Forget about me going around the Mom to help the kid, she would call the cops on me for thinking about it.
To be honest I know the kid messed up but being a parent of 2 young children that play out back has me really thinking about saying something.
I think of it like this. My kids know that they do not point a bow in any direction other than the target. This boy needs to be careful. I'll be honest with you if my wife answered the door, the kid would of heard about it.
I guess I'll see what plays out. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 08:08:00 PM »
When I was 6 or7 I was shooting birds off the telephone wires with my fiberglass recurve.  My parents had no idea! I never had enough nerve to knock on doors, I would sneak up on peoples roofs and get my arrows back.

If someone at that time would have asked me "what would happen if you hit my kids, or dog or car or whatever", I would have thought twice. Truth of the matter is, kids dont think things through. I was darn lucky I never hurt anyone or shot a car or anything.

Dont be too hard on him. Keep Mom out of it and become a mentor.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Cochise

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2012, 09:29:00 PM »
Most life lessons arnt epic.

Offline Cochise

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2012, 09:30:00 PM »
most of lifes lessons arnt epic..
youve made a good choice..
Cochise

Offline Cochise

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2012, 09:31:00 PM »
oops

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2012, 08:48:00 AM »
If you choose to do anything at all, you have to involve the parents.  Otherwise, when the mom finds out, the cops will be knocking on your door asking why you want to hang out with your neighbors' kid.

Offline LongbowArchitect

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2012, 11:02:00 AM »
Pretty minor mishap compared to the dumb thing I did when I was 10.  I wanted to see what a flaming arrow looked like at night from my bow so I tied on a cottom ball to my wood arrow field tip, doused it in lighter fluid and lit it off.  I shot it straight up (or so I thought) thinking that it would come back down somewhere in our back yard.  Oops- slight misjudgement in trajectory.  My flaming arrow flew up beautifully and then down sticking in our neighbor's roof (luckily ashphalt shingles).  It burned momentarily, then died out.  I was really scared at first, then relieved that it caused no damage.  I told my parents and altogether we went to our neighbors for me to fess up.  Our neighbors were awesome about it.  He retrieved my partially burned arrow the next day and returned it to me.  I learned my lesson.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©