3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ohio Traditional Deer Hunt 2012. Success!!!  (Read 4998 times)

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Ohio Traditional Deer Hunt 2012. Success!!!
« on: June 20, 2012, 09:35:00 AM »
I figured I would post this hunt early enough for everyone to see it and request time off work as needed. Time for year 6 of this event, let's break the drought! So close to so many bucks and does. Lets get it "done" this year!

Here are some pictures from the past years;

One of the many ponds;

Shooting practice/fun last year:

One of the tents:

The camp Fire:

DATES:

November 3rd -11th. I will be setting up on Friday night the 2nd and breaking camp on Sunday evening the 11th. That means we will have Saturday morning to Sunday evening or afternoon to hunt.

I do have to skip out Wednesday night to work on Thursday and Friday, but will be back in camp Friday Night. I can't get out of being at work those 2 days.

Go to the site listed below for the map of the AEP area. Look for Campground K off of SR 83 and T13. It is surrounded by public hunting with no reservation required.

Here is the link to the map;

http://www.aep.com/environmental/recreation/recland/pdf/ReCLandMap.pdf                

This is a free hunt on public land. You just have to sign in when you get there. We will try to have some spots staked out, but it does get busy at that camp site these days. If there isn't enough room at K we will camp in area A. There will be a sign posted and someone will go up on the hill for a cell signal to post on this thread to confirm our camp site.

PERMIT:
You will need to download, print and sign your free permit to be legal. You need to keep this with you while hunting. No need to send it in anywhere.

Go to this site for the permit:

http://www.aep.com/environmental/recreation/recland/permit.aspx                  

FOOD:

This year everyone will bring their own food. Last year, due to rain and mud, a number of people didn't show up. As a result, much food was wasted since we had planned on more people.

FIREWOOD:
It is safe/legal to transport wood from the same counties we are hunting in; Meigs, Guernsey, Noble. You do have to cover the wood during transport.

Shirts: Design and colors are yet to be determined, but will likely be dark olive with white lettering/design. PM me your size and I can let you know the cost for the shirt. I need to have at least 12 shirts ordered from the guy who makes them for me or the cost goes up A LOT!

If you have any questions or comments, post them on here or PM me. Hope to see you all in November!

-Charlie

Offline dlnwohio

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ohio Traditional Deer Hunt 2012. Success!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 09:39:00 AM »
I would love to join you guys but all my vacation time this year is going towards my elk hunt. Maybe next year

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 11:22:00 AM »
No worries. There will be another one next year!

Offline Troy D. Breeding

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 11:57:00 AM »
I have plans to be there again this year. Maybe the weather will be better. Even though I came in on the tailend of the rain it was dang sure cold.

Troy
Troy D. Breeding
 www.WoodGallery295.net

Retirement ain't what it's cracked up to be.

Offline bansheewins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 12:59:00 PM »
This sounds fun.  Even though I have plenty of private lands to hunt, I might come down and join to try and fill a doe tag and hang out with everyone.  I have been there in the past camping (10 years ago) and fishing with friends.  I have never hunted it but do they allow stands like climbers to be used as long as they are not permanent?
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach that man to fish and he will eat for a life time"

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 01:30:00 PM »
Troy,

It will be good to see you bud. Great job on the seminar at Kalamazoo!

Banshee,

Don't be suprised to see a nice buck or two at close range if you come down. I only went down for this hunt one time where I didn't have a large buck near my stand. As a matter of fact, I was busted twice last year at 14-20 yards by a VERY nice 8 and 10 point buck. 2 more steps and the 8 point would have come home in the back of my truck with me(hopefully).

Climbers are legal. You can even use climbing sticks and a hang on stand as long as it is portable.

Last year was cold and wet. Hopefully this year will just be cold for the beginning of the rut.

A lot of people fish down there due to some LARGE bass. You could bring a pole and a kayak/canoe if you wanted. Not sure if November would be a good time for fishing there.

Anyway, you are welcome to come and sit at the fire with us!

Take care,
Charlie

Offline oldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 07:47:00 PM »
2 shirts for me XL
CHX 58in 44@28 CHX 58in 52@28

Offline bghunter76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 08:39:00 PM »
nice to see you posted this. I'll be there and put me in for a xl shirt to please.

Offline Troy D. Breeding

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 09:46:00 PM »
Are we going to be a the same campground as lastyear? If so, I say we move accross the road. Higher ground over there.

Troy
Troy D. Breeding
 www.WoodGallery295.net

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 09:53:00 PM »
Since it will be in November instead of October, I am hoping Campground K will have enough open spots. If Camp area K should pose any problems, we will camp at A. I think it had the most non-muddy spots open last year. So, the long and short of it is; Camp K for openers and camp A if there is a problem.

Gotcha on the shirts Rob and Jim.

Offline bansheewins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 07:50:00 AM »
Charlie,  Thanks for the information it sounds like a lot of fun.  I will most definitely try to come down for a day or two for sure.  I am only about an  hour and a half away.  You mentioned that the camp sites usually get filled up at this time, are these more campers than hunters?  I was just curious if you are there fighting another 100 hunters for a spot to setup.  Also you can sign me up for a XXL shirt and let me know how you would like payment.

Also if I remember correctly there are no motorized vehicles aloud like 4 wheeler or gator correct?

Thx
Larry
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach that man to fish and he will eat for a life time"

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 12:14:00 PM »
Banshee,

The Buckeye Trail runs through Camp K and the fishing is good on the ponds at Camp Area K. When we did the Ohio Trad Deer Hunt last year, it was in October and lots of people were still fishing and hiking. Don't worry about finding hunting spots. AEP has 60,000 acres open for hunting. There are a number of places to hunt. If someone is close, just go over the next hill and you will be alone.

This year we are back hunting in the 2nd week of November. There may still be some other hunters there for the weekend, but the week days will find the campgrounds and woods empty of other hunters for the most part.

I did a 2nd hunt there last year with some guys from Vermont during November and Camp K was fine during the week. Pretty much empty in fact.

It's on the weekends that the hikers, fishermen and some weekend hunters show up. Mainly its people just enjoying the outdoors. Since it is 1st come 1st serve, it may be busy and have people there.

I will have Jimmy(BG Hunter) call me when he gets down there to let me know how busy Area
K is and if we can get everyone in there. If not, I am sure Area A will be fine.

As far as 4 wheelers go, they are allowed in some places, but many areas are marked no access. Also, I got your shirt order and will PM you the payment info. I can't post that out on Powwow. It will be a little while on the shirts because I have to get the design put together and make sure there are enough orders.

FYI; You guys always get the shirts at cost. I don't make any money on them. The shirts are just for fun and promoting trad archery!

Thanks,
Charlie

Offline Squaretoparcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 02:55:00 PM »
I'm originally from the East and was planning on an WHitetail hunt in Pa. during the rut.  How much are Ohio out of State Tags, and are there "hunter Safety" class requirements ?  How many hunters typically participate.  If welcomed, I'm interested.
IF THERE'S ONE WISH that I have in life, it's to connect, to connect to my children, connect to my wife, connect to my friends, to connect to you. On my tombstone, I'd like it to say: "He tried to connect".
--Mandy Patinkin

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 03:15:00 PM »
Normally 10 to 15 guys participate.

Out of state license is $125.

Antlerless tags are allowable during the time of our hunt for $15.

Either sex tags are allowable for this hunt allowing you to take either a buck or a doe on that tag for $25.

You can only take 1 deer per tag.

You can buy a max of 3 antlerless tags and 3 either sex tags. Even if it is an either sex tag, if you have already shot a buck in Ohio, you can only use it on a doe at that point.

A hunter is only allowed 1 buck regardless of how many tags you buy.

If you are legal to hunt in your state, you will be legal here in Ohio. We have no higher requirements beyond other states. An Ohio hunter must take a safety course. If you have done so in your state you should be fine.

Let me know if you are still interested. We should be able to get everyone campsites. Maybe not all together, but close enough. Normally 20-25 people intend to show up and we wind up with 10-15 guys. Last year was a lighter year for attendance since the weather was so horrible. For some reason, people don't like rain? "[dntthnk]"

Thanks,
Charlie

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 04:32:00 PM »
I took Old skool stumping when he came to Arkansas a few years ago.  He must have liked the company cause he came back for a hog hunt and a bowfishing trip. He has asked me to come hunt with him for two years now.

This year I arrange to come up for a hunt at his house.  Yesterday he called and told me about this particular hunt.  If you guys wouldn't mind I'd like to come hunt with you.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline Troy D. Breeding

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 05:03:00 PM »
Charlie,

Put me down for and XL shirt.

Troy
Troy D. Breeding
 www.WoodGallery295.net

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2012, 08:24:00 PM »
Pac,

Rob(Oldskool) and I have hunted squirrels, deer and rabbit together plenty of times. If you are a friend of his you are welcome at my camp fire any time.

Who knows, Maybe you can help me out with hogs in Arkansas someday?   :bigsmyl:

Welcome   :campfire:

Offline Squaretoparcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2012, 10:25:00 PM »
Charlie, Thanks for the information.  I will give this some serious consideration.

Lu in AZ
IF THERE'S ONE WISH that I have in life, it's to connect, to connect to my children, connect to my wife, connect to my friends, to connect to you. On my tombstone, I'd like it to say: "He tried to connect".
--Mandy Patinkin

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2012, 01:35:00 PM »
Squaretop,

Never had an Arizona guy in camp! That would be a cool addition! Do you have any good elk/mule deer stories?

Troy,

Got your shirt order and thanks!

-Charlie

Offline Squaretoparcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2012, 10:23:00 PM »
Charlie, I have a load of stories ! Unfortunately most  have occurred in Pa and Colorado as it's difficult to pull an elk tag in AZ and during the last 5 years the famous Kaibab plateau in AZ has gone to a draw system for archery mulies. I'm excited about this season as it represents my return to traditional archery following 34 years of hunting with a compound.  Trad archery is the way to go.  Now,  the logistics of hunting with you guys is what I have to figure out.
--Mandy Patinkin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©