3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ohio Traditional Deer Hunt 2012. Success!!!  (Read 5024 times)

Offline bansheewins

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ohio Traditional Deer Hunt 2012. Success!!!
« Reply #100 on: August 08, 2012, 01:01:00 PM »
Not sure but I "think" everyone will have to go online and print a permit to have with them for this hunt.  I have been down there a few times before camping and needed to go online and print out the permission form.  It is free but think everyone might need one.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach that man to fish and he will eat for a life time"

Offline Longbowlogan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: August 08, 2012, 01:12:00 PM »
You are right bansheewins, you have to print it out then fill it out and keep it with you at all times while you are down there. I'm really hoping to have my buck before I get down to AEP, I guess we will see!
Big Stick Assassin LB 60" 51@29
Big Stick Assassin LB 62" 60@28
Schafer Silvertip RC 60" 54@28, 57@27, 76@29

PBS Associate member

Offline bansheewins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: August 08, 2012, 01:17:00 PM »
Yeah I was just checking online and below is the link to the permission slip and maps if anyone needs.

http://www.aep.com/environmental/recreation/recland/permit.aspx

I also hope to have a buck by then and be able to come down and hang out and relax and try to fill a doe tag.  If not, then I guess it is horn hunting time down there too.  HAHA
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach that man to fish and he will eat for a life time"

Offline bansheewins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: August 08, 2012, 01:23:00 PM »
Ok so every please forgive my ignorance for not paying attention to the initial post on this thread.  I didn't remember that this was all listed on there and just made a fool of myself repeating it again.  Sorry for all of the spam.  Cant wait to see everyone there and do some hunting.

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: August 08, 2012, 02:30:00 PM »
There are a few stores around the area that the permission slips, there is one about 5-10 minutes from camp.
Ohio Society of Traditional Archers #830

Tracey "TREE" Trickett 2 Pricly curves 3pc & pricly ash longbow won @ Great Ohio Rabbit Hunt

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: August 08, 2012, 03:19:00 PM »
Don't sweat it Larry, sometimes these threads get a little long and the opening info is missed/forgotten. Not a problem!

FYI: I printed off my AEP permit and then shrank it to wallet size on a copier. A little more convenient that way.

Also, still not sure what I can do for a scouting trip. My daughter just made the volleyball team and that will require me to be at a lot of games. I will also be chauffeuring her to many practices. It's getting busy around here these days.    :readit:

I better be pumped for this hunt since I may not get many more this year!

Offline bansheewins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: August 08, 2012, 03:45:00 PM »
Charlie,

I have been down there a half a dozen times over the years just on camping and fishing trips back in the day.  I did look up the camping site "K" you are referring to.  Is this the same place (camp site) that you had this hunt the past couple years?  I noticed that there is hunting right North and South of our campsite.  Which of these areas do the guys typically hunt or do they utilize both of them?  I have also printed a few topo maps to see the lay of the land in case I do not get down to scout before then.  

I would like to make it down there at least once before to get a lay of the land (bedding, feeding).  I sure hope that it turns out to be a good season/hunt for everyone it sounds exciting and will be my first group/camping hunt.  Should be some good times and stories at the fire.  Plus it will be nice to put names and faces together.

Larry

Offline Longbowlogan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: August 08, 2012, 05:30:00 PM »
There are only a few crop fields that I saw while I was hunting down there last year. Pinch points are going to be the key and hopefully finding where the does are at. Should be fun and I can't wait!
Big Stick Assassin LB 60" 51@29
Big Stick Assassin LB 62" 60@28
Schafer Silvertip RC 60" 54@28, 57@27, 76@29

PBS Associate member

Offline kennyb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: August 08, 2012, 06:08:00 PM »
Nicholas-thanks for the info
Another question-regarding using a GPS to get down there...any address or something to load into the GPS?
Thanks guys! I'm really excited about the trip and will have some fun for sure!

Kenny    :bigsmyl:
>>>-------------->
Black Widow-PSA III 60"
Tall Tines Recurve 62"
U.S Army Veteran
U.S. Army Military Police K-9 Corps

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: August 08, 2012, 06:50:00 PM »
Most of our hunting is done to the north, although there are a couple good spots on the south side. Mike has said in the past that there are some really good spots behind Windy Hill camping area. Never hunted there myself, but he has seen some big bucks in there from what I hear.

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: August 09, 2012, 09:45:00 AM »
KennyB,
       Put cumberland ohio in your gps, when you get there you head south on 83, about 7-8 miles out of town you will see a sign that says console energy you turn left there. Follow that road straight until you see the sign for camp site K also known as bicentenial, turn left there and look for the signs that we will have up.

Charlie, I pick up some corrigated plastic for signs that won't be affected by rain. Gonna make a stencil and paint em. BTW have you priced the shirts yet?

Tracey "TREE" Trickett 2 Pricly curves 3pc & pricly ash longbow won @ Great Ohio Rabbit Hunt

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: August 13, 2012, 09:54:00 PM »
so did the thread die? lol

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: August 13, 2012, 10:58:00 PM »
Not dead, just hibernating until we get closer to the hunt I imagine. We are still 2 1/2 months away from camp. I wish I could have put together a time to get out there to scout sooner, but I haven't been able to get free. My daughter made the volleyball team and now most of my time is locked up with getting her to practices and the games that will begin shortly.

I might be able to do a camp/scouting trip on the weekend of September 8th. I have to work it out with my wife 1st, but could anyone else make that weekend? Let me know if anyone can come and I will post details here as soon as I know for sure. Likely Sat(8th)morning to Sunday(9th) evening.

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: August 14, 2012, 09:30:00 AM »
Ill be turning 30 that weekend and the wife has to work so ill be free.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: August 14, 2012, 10:41:00 AM »
I forget sometimes you are just a young pup yet Matt!   :goldtooth:  Check in with Alex and Logan to see if they might be able to make it. I forgot to run it past my wife this morning, but will ask her this evening.

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: August 14, 2012, 12:35:00 PM »
Well I always forget that your an old fart. Lol you deffinetly don't seemn your age.

Offline bansheewins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: August 14, 2012, 12:41:00 PM »
Charlie,  Unfortunately I have a pig roast that I have to attend for work on Saturday the 8th BUT if you want I could come down first thing in the AM on Sunday the 9th and we could walk to the north and south and do some initial scouting.  I am only an hour and maybe 20 minutes from there no big deal could be down real early if you want.

Larry

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: August 14, 2012, 07:56:00 PM »
My wife is on board! The camping/scouting trip will be the 8th and 9th. Everyone that wants to come is welcome. Bring your own gear and food. Should be a good time.

Larry,
Come down early on Sunday morning that should be fine. We will be looking to camp in area K as always. I will post a pic of my old red truck for you to look for.

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: August 14, 2012, 08:10:00 PM »
Larry, where ya from?

Offline bansheewins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: August 14, 2012, 09:27:00 PM »
Awesome.  I live in Navarre off route 21 and 30 by Massillon.  Where are you from?  I will just plan on coming down real early Sunday morning and plan it out before we get to that time.  I would like to scout some before we get down there and hunt.  I have already printed some topo maps and have a decent idea but want to check out food sources and bedding around there.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©