3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ohio Traditional Deer Hunt 2012. Success!!!  (Read 5020 times)

Offline kennyb

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ohio Traditional Deer Hunt 2012. Success!!!
« Reply #200 on: October 17, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »
Hey guys...I'm stoked for this hunt for sure! I can't wait and am working on all my hunting/camping gear! I also look forward to meeting you guys and sharing the camp fire! Congratulations to Matt and the new addition to his family! Thanks and see you soon!

Charlie-I never got a pm about the t-shirt (XL). Thanks.

Kenny    :bigsmyl:
>>>-------------->
Black Widow-PSA III 60"
Tall Tines Recurve 62"
U.S Army Veteran
U.S. Army Military Police K-9 Corps

Offline tking308

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #201 on: October 17, 2012, 08:50:00 PM »
Congrats on the baby.

Offline bansheewins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #202 on: October 18, 2012, 07:37:00 AM »
Congrats on the new addition to the family.  That must be one heck of a wife to let you run off that soon with the new born.   :o )

Can't wait to meet everyone and do some hunting and sitting around the fire telling stories, hopefully some hunting stories from our trip.

for you hunters who have been to this, can we bring our own firewood or do they have restrictions on this?  Also, are you able to bring any type of 4 wheeler, mule ect.?
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach that man to fish and he will eat for a life time"

Offline Longbowlogan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #203 on: October 18, 2012, 08:30:00 AM »
I'm pretty sure there are no motorized vehicles aloud, and I'm not sure about the firewood. Charlie or Irish would know about the firewood. I can't wait to get down there and meet everyone and break the streak of bad luck that this trip has had for killing deer!!
Big Stick Assassin LB 60" 51@29
Big Stick Assassin LB 62" 60@28
Schafer Silvertip RC 60" 54@28, 57@27, 76@29

PBS Associate member

Offline Mad Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #204 on: October 18, 2012, 09:26:00 AM »
congrats on baby

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #205 on: October 18, 2012, 10:31:00 AM »
I'm all set and standing by.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #206 on: October 18, 2012, 09:03:00 PM »

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/62509_4167727945144_511777152_n.jpg

Welcome to the new trad hunting world....

Charlie Merriam George

And yes her middle name is spelled exactly like the turkeys.  :D  can't believe the wife finally went for it. Thank you everyone for the congratulations.
Ohio Society of Traditional Archers #830

Tracey "TREE" Trickett 2 Pricly curves 3pc & pricly ash longbow won @ Great Ohio Rabbit Hunt

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #207 on: October 19, 2012, 05:05:00 PM »
Beautiful baby with a great name!!!

4 wheelers are restricted in some areas, but not others.

Firewood can only come from the same counties where we are hunting (Noble and Morgan).

Now that the monkey is off my back, I feel better about this trip!

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #208 on: October 20, 2012, 02:54:00 PM »
I will be picking up the shirts on Tuesday. Please get payment out as soon as possible. I can't discuss anything else on this forum money-wise, but I really don't want to front the cost for that many shirts out of my personal account. Also, thanks to those of you who already sent payment.

We will all be out there hunting soon! The rut is coming...

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #209 on: October 20, 2012, 08:21:00 PM »
Hey Charlie, I looked up the emerald ash borer and you are allowed to transport wood from any counties now because every county has it now. SO YOU CAN NOW TRANSPORT FIREWOOD. So with that said if you plan on having fires at night bring some wood so we will have plenty, or there are places around the area we will be hunting, that sell wood. does anyone have any questions about the hunt or anything in general, if so i'll answer what i can.

Tracey "TREE" Trickett 2 Pricly curves 3pc & pricly ash longbow won @ Great Ohio Rabbit Hunt

Offline oldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #210 on: October 20, 2012, 08:27:00 PM »
I'll bring a truck load of wood
CHX 58in 44@28 CHX 58in 52@28

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #211 on: October 20, 2012, 08:28:00 PM »
I will be bringing a good bit of wood. I have plenty.

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #212 on: October 20, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »
sounds good, I'll also be bringing wood, hopefully I bring enough this time to keep my stove burning the who;le time I'm there. lol

Offline kenn1320

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #213 on: October 21, 2012, 12:26:00 AM »
Ive got a question, is this area covered with that lovely multifloral rose that eats you alive? If so, whats the trick to hunting in and around that stuff?
I'm not a "deer" hunter, I'm a bow hunter that occasionally shoots a deer.

Offline tking308

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #214 on: October 21, 2012, 12:39:00 AM »
Charlie, I sent my money for the shirt earlier this week, I hope you've got it already.  

Celticknot; I've got access to wood but not a lot of spare room in the car. Will there be wood around the campsite to pick up and burn?  Can you give me some kind of idea about the cover in the area?  Open woods? Thick nasty stuff everywhere?  Hardwoods? Pines?

Offline Longbowlogan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #215 on: October 21, 2012, 10:08:00 AM »
There's a lot of different woods there. A lot of planted pine thickets but mostly open woods that's very hilly. There's only a few fields that I know of down there, 60,000 acres is a lot to hunt and its hard to find a starting point. Hopefully the deer are moving good but I'm going for a turkey since I have my buck and a doe already!
Big Stick Assassin LB 60" 51@29
Big Stick Assassin LB 62" 60@28
Schafer Silvertip RC 60" 54@28, 57@27, 76@29

PBS Associate member

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #216 on: October 21, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »
I'll be turkey hunting the 3rd and 4th for turkey's.  There is some mutliflora rose, they key to navigating it is get a higher pain tolarence. lol Just try to navigate around it when you come up on it. That's the best zI can tell you. Unless you want to drop a little cash and buy some brush chaps from the dog shop in cumberland, which I do suggest buying anything from him if only a bag of ice, keep a great local buisness alive. Logan I'm gonna clean all the turkeys out of that corn field so don't be lookin there for em. lol

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #217 on: October 21, 2012, 09:01:00 PM »
As logan said there is a mixture of everything, there is flat ground, thick woods, open woods, pines, western style open plains, if you wanted any kind of hunting imaginable this is the place.
As for wood anything laying on the ground is free game. So if you don't have room, we understand. There is plenty of fallen wood around so everything should be fine for the fire pit, I just need mine for my stove in my tent. Gotta stay warm at night. PS if anyone brings propane heaters remember to leave your tent vented.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #218 on: October 21, 2012, 09:13:00 PM »
Logan,

I got a turkey spot for you. I have seen turkeys every time I hunt one particular area. Never a deer, but always turkeys. They must like that spot. It is a big hard wood ridge.

Got shirt money from:
Shane
TKing
Maddog(will ship yours soon)
Mike B

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #219 on: October 21, 2012, 09:23:00 PM »
What does the terrain look like...

There are marshy areas, pines, plenty of thickets, hardwood ridges, deep ravines, open CRP fields, high walls and anything else you can imagine.

If you want to spot and stalk in the fields, it can be done. If you want to sit in a tree stand or build a ground blind, it can be done. If you want to still hunt some BIG woods, it can be done.  There is something for everyone.

That being said...

The fields might be a little less productive in November than October since rabbit season will be starting. The dogs usually push the deer from the fields into the woods.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©