3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ohio Traditional Deer Hunt 2012. Success!!!  (Read 5012 times)

Offline kenn1320

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ohio Traditional Deer Hunt 2012. Success!!!
« Reply #240 on: October 24, 2012, 09:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by Longbowlogan:

quote:
Originally posted by celticknot:
Just so everyone knows it's an option. Me and a couple guys have brought the smokepoles aka bang bangs and done some hunting in the afternoons after lunch for squirrels grouse woodcock and rabbits.  
This will be primetime for deer movement when we are down there this year, you won't catch me chasing tree rats during deer season. Especially in November when the bucks will be cruising     :knothead:   I might chase some turkeys with the recurve while I'm down there but no smallgame for me     :thumbsup:
I'm not a "deer" hunter, I'm a bow hunter that occasionally shoots a deer.

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #241 on: October 24, 2012, 09:28:00 PM »
=Some of us go out in groups and hunt in the same general area, but try to be respectful of the people you are hunting with and sit till dark or after and wait on everyone to walk out together to make sure everyone makes it back to the truck together and safe.  I'd hate to try to find someone in the dark with no idea to really look if someone didn't show up to the truck and may be injured, especially in the dark. Also know where your hunting buddy is hunting.

Pac is that jaw bacon your speaking of? If so I love that stuff and grits, aint had opposum yet but I'm game. lol
Ohio Society of Traditional Archers #830

Tracey "TREE" Trickett 2 Pricly curves 3pc & pricly ash longbow won @ Great Ohio Rabbit Hunt

Offline tradhunterRN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #242 on: October 25, 2012, 04:40:00 AM »
celticknot -

That sounds good to me. Just looking to pick the brains of more experienced bowhunters  :)

Offline tradhunterRN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #243 on: October 25, 2012, 02:21:00 PM »
So I was doing some looking on my schedule and if there is anyone staying later than the 11th I may be able to stay as well since work cuts out the first half of this hunt for me. I know at east one person mentioned having the first two weeks of Nov off.

Just let me know so I can ask the wife if she is cool with it  :)

Offline kennyb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #244 on: October 25, 2012, 07:12:00 PM »
It's gettin' close guys and I'm really cranked about this hunting & camping trip! I've been so doggone busy, I haven't been out yet here in Michigan.

Charlie-keep my t-shirt til I get down there!

RN-I might stay past the 11th! Depends on what happens. So, I am game. Also, I heading down on the 1st. Don't have to work until the 15th!

Kenny    :bigsmyl:
>>>-------------->
Black Widow-PSA III 60"
Tall Tines Recurve 62"
U.S Army Veteran
U.S. Army Military Police K-9 Corps

Offline kenn1320

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #245 on: October 25, 2012, 08:23:00 PM »
Whats the "leaf" report down there? Looking like Mi leaves will be down by this weekend.
I'm not a "deer" hunter, I'm a bow hunter that occasionally shoots a deer.

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #246 on: October 25, 2012, 09:48:00 PM »
Really depends on where you are. I can call one of my buddies and see what it's like down there.

Kenny, I'll trade ya! I'm only gonna be able to come 6 days and I usually take 9. but 2 of those six are next weekend huntin for a thanksgiving turkey, but if I get one I'm gonna try to wack some deer and some tree rats.

Tradhunter RN I'll tell ya everything I know, so it'll take about 15 minutes. lol I'd say 90% of deer hunting is location location location. find a place with deer then find there patterns and sit inbetween bedding and food and water. Or bait em.

Tracey "TREE" Trickett 2 Pricly curves 3pc & pricly ash longbow won @ Great Ohio Rabbit Hunt

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #247 on: October 25, 2012, 10:16:00 PM »
I'm not as worried about leaves as I am hoping some acorns are still dropping! If you are in the woods down there and still hear acorns dropping in November then put on the brakes! Hunt right there.... and expect to see deer.

Offline Squaretoparcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #248 on: October 25, 2012, 11:06:00 PM »
Charlie, family from the Columbus area tells me that the weather is going to get nasty during the hunt, to include lots of rain and possibly considerable snow.  Now how is a guy from Arizona supposed to deal with snow! I hope that T shirt is waterproof.
IF THERE'S ONE WISH that I have in life, it's to connect, to connect to my children, connect to my wife, connect to my friends, to connect to you. On my tombstone, I'd like it to say: "He tried to connect".
--Mandy Patinkin

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #249 on: October 25, 2012, 11:28:00 PM »
The snow won't stick since the ground is still too warm. The nasty weather should blow over before the hunt. Just be sure to bring your wool!!! You are sleeping in a tent?

Offline Squaretoparcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #250 on: October 26, 2012, 02:10:00 AM »
A tent is all I can squeeze into a suitcase! Lots of wool, great idea! FYI , I hope the extended forecast is wrong, calls for a lot of precip.
IF THERE'S ONE WISH that I have in life, it's to connect, to connect to my children, connect to my wife, connect to my friends, to connect to you. On my tombstone, I'd like it to say: "He tried to connect".
--Mandy Patinkin

Offline bansheewins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #251 on: October 26, 2012, 07:02:00 AM »
One thing to remember this is Ohio.  our weather changed by the minute can be snowing one minute and 80 the next.  HAHA
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach that man to fish and he will eat for a life time"

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #252 on: October 26, 2012, 08:03:00 AM »
I'm in a tent too, but I have my Mr. Heat propane heater to keep me warm! It works great and I usually sleep like a baby on my air mattress with the inside temp at 55-60 degrees all night.  :bigsmyl:  

Also, there is a hitch in the t-shirt design fellas....

They printed the same design on the back and front of the shirt. It was supposed to have 2 different designs. The one they used was the outline of Ohio with the buck overlayed on it. The shirts look great, but they left one of Matt's designs off. Last year they left the date off of the back. In the future, I will have to put the order in earlier so I can look and the shirts and have time to reorder if they mess it up again. I wouldn't be so tolerant, but the guy is a friend from church. Also, the shirts themselves are really good quality and he charges less than they are worth as a favor.

I hope it is ok and like I said, I will post a pic later. If anyone wants their money back let me know, but the shirts are still cool and the colors look great!

Offline tking308

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #253 on: October 26, 2012, 10:56:00 AM »
No problem here Charlie. That doe wasn't really going to survive anyway. ;-)

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #254 on: October 26, 2012, 06:05:00 PM »
:(  That sucks! Tell him my skies are a little blue.

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #255 on: October 26, 2012, 08:34:00 PM »
howdy squaretop, are you flying or driving in?

Offline bowmofo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #256 on: October 26, 2012, 09:23:00 PM »
I am looking at Nov. 9~10~11 as a target E.T.A may stretch it one way or the other or both, as I will have my son with me, (no more tents for me)
KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #257 on: October 26, 2012, 10:21:00 PM »
damn mike your movin up in the world. lol

Offline Mad Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #258 on: October 27, 2012, 03:01:00 PM »
Thinking of going down to take a look around Sunday. Anyone know of where to pick up a good map locally.

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #259 on: October 27, 2012, 05:16:00 PM »
there is a little store named clarks in cumberland that should have an ok one, it just the one on the aep site but it's better than nothing. There is also a store on 83 called carriage markets that should have the same one. If you do stop in these small buisnesses try to buy a drink or snack just to help out the local economy, if these stores disappear you will have to drive over a half an hour or more for any supplies. We need to keep them open. Also in cumberland as you are headed south on the edge of toen there is a dog shop/ supplies store, I always buy stuff from Jeff everytime I am down that way, he has ice, snuff pop, propane, and a bunch of odds and ends and you can hang out and shoot the breeze, he is very good people. He also carrries so nice knives and ammo and other odds and ends.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©