3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bivy and tarp or tent?  (Read 590 times)

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: bivy and tarp or tent?
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2012, 12:55:00 AM »
Look into a Appytrails tent.2 fellas and all your gear inside ,aound 2-1/2#,mine was 117.00 exellent tent.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2012, 02:00:00 AM »
TENT

Offline Tracks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2012, 03:14:00 AM »
Tents are comfortable, but you can do well for yourself with a good silnylon tarp. I lived under mine for weeks in windy Patagonia and I use it regularly here in coastal AK as well. My 8'x10' tarp weighs 11 oz. and it is as tough as any lightweight tent (maybe even tougher since I secure it with p. cord instead of lightweight aluminum poles). Not sure what my OR bivy weighs, but it has to be less than 1 lb. Add a down bag (for CO weather) and a 3/4 length thermarest and your whole setup will weigh less than most backpacking tents. Even more importantly, you will be able to pack all your gear for a three day hunt into a daypack-sized bag, allowing you to move light and quick  

If you couldn't tell already, I enjoy the ultra light tarp camping. I find it useful for hunting in August in AK because the nights or so short, you pretty much have to bivouac in the alpine hunting grounds to hunt the most productive times of day.

Before I moved up here I lived and hunted the Rockies and I'll bivy with my tarp down there if I ever move back. You will be above the elk in your hunting grounds at first light while the tent campers and car campers will be hours down the hill.

Besides, using a simple shelter like a tarp is satisfying in the same way that using a simple bow is satisfying. Using a tarp takes woodsmanship and a little ingenuity, but with practice, you can be quite comfortable, even in horrible weather.

Offline Tracks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2012, 03:25:00 AM »
Also, while I haven't tried every bivy sack out there, out of the ones I have slept in, only the Bibler and the OR are worth a darn.

Offline Shortlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2012, 08:07:00 AM »
Check out the Golite Shangri-la 5. It can be used with the "nest" as a full tent. Or you can just pitch the fly for lighter weight if there are no bugs. Very versatile and light weight. I believe they are still on sale. I love mine. The 5 has plenty of room. I'd get it over the 3 for the added space or for two people.
Ask me about the Professional Bowhunters Society.
Bobby Parrott

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2012, 08:22:00 AM »
Originally posted by Tracks:
Also, while I haven't tried every bivy sack out there, out of the ones I have slept in, only the Bibler and the OR are worth a darn.
I have the OR bivy.  It's well made, but your own body heat will get you wet in it.  I would not use it for regular camp, but it would probably be helpful in an emergency.

Offline lovethehunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2012, 08:28:00 AM »
Great input guys, thank you. I have a Marmot earlylight2 that weighs in at about 5 pounds as the full rig. I can pitch it as a fly only and will start laying everything out to pick the best option. For now I will keep running and hiking with my pack on filled witn a 40# bag of salt.

Offline wvtradbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2012, 08:36:00 AM »
There are numerous light weight tents on the market right now in the sub 3# range,,Nemo Meta that uses trekking poles,BA Fly creek,Shires tarp tents,six moon designs all with floors most are single wall with the exception of the fly creek,not to mention all the floorless models,in all different price ranges.Bear Paw wilderness also makes great tents that are reasonable in price,bearpawwd.com..Look at them all then go to utube and see if there's any reviews,but be careful weight's not the only issue,10 days is a long time in a tiny 1 man tent,a lot of cases the 2 man is a minimal difference in weight..
"I strive for mediocrity and sometimes achieve it." a close friend

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2012, 09:08:00 AM »
When I used to camp, I preferred a tent over a bivy/tarp.

I could bring my equipment into the tent out of the weather.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Ward / Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2012, 10:35:00 AM »
Only a masochist would prefer a bivy sack over a tent.  I agree with others that the tent is the much better way to go.  I've been using a one man MSR tent with a large vestibule lately.  Even when camping out with two people, sometimes it's easier to find two small flat spots than one big flat spot for a 2/3 man tent.  The vestibule  allows for a dry place to store gear and cook in bad weather. The MSR Hubba offers great ventilation, protection, and comfort.  I can only describe my few nights in a bivy as downright miserable experiences.  Condensation was a problem for me when I used a bivy on an early season Colorado, timberline elk hunt.  Most likely, I'll never spend another night in a bivy sack!

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2012, 03:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by gringol:
BTW, a ground cloth is usually not necessary with modern tents...
That's true, but....

Depending on the ground you're pitching your tent on, it will maintain its integrity a lot longer with something under it.  Especially with the ultralight tents, those rocks and sticks take their toll.  Then again, if you're going ultralight it may not be worth it.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2012, 04:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by canopyboy:

That's true, but....

Depending on the ground you're pitching your tent on, it will maintain its integrity a lot longer with something under it.  Especially with the ultralight tents, those rocks and sticks take their toll.  Then again, if you're going ultralight it may not be worth it. [/b]
Absolutely, buy the footprint or place some sort of protection on the ground.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2012, 04:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by awbowman:

Originally posted by canopyboy:

That's true, but....

Depending on the ground you're pitching your tent on, it will maintain its integrity a lot longer with something under it.  Especially with the ultralight tents, those rocks and sticks take their toll.  Then again, if you're going ultralight it may not be worth it. [/b]
Absolutely, buy the footprint or place some sort of protection on the ground. [/b]
Been backpacking for 20 years and have never used a ground cloth.  I spend some time moving rocks and sticks and have never had a problem.  Nothing wrong with a ground cloth except you have to carry it.  Of course, I often only pack the clothes I'm wearing plus a rain coat and a pair of socks, so I may be a bit of an anomaly...

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2012, 04:52:00 PM »
I also like the footprint because I can use it when I only pitch the fly.

Don't need it, but I like it
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2012, 05:28:00 PM »
For me I'm a tent guy anymore. I have tried all three but with the new light weight tents a extra pound is worth it to me. I like a two man tent for the extra space for gear and stretching out. Last year I use my bivy once. I unzipped myself in the middle of the night and was awaken by a nasty snow and sleat storm. It made for one cold wet night.

Offline Cari-bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2012, 07:38:00 PM »
My son just walked in and asked what are they talking about. I said hunting elk at 10,000+ feet
and what should they bring for shelter. His response was an oxygen tent.
Seriously, I just got a tepee style tent from Seek Outside with a  wood stove. Very light and with a stove you can dry cloths and be comfortable.Might be a good choice over a variety of hunts you seem to be going on.
Abe

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2012, 08:04:00 PM »
The tent might be a better choice if the weather gets bad.  In bad weather inadequate shelter could become a serious safety issue, particularly in mountainous terrain.
Sam

Offline sledge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2012, 08:21:00 PM »
a tent is just a snug, secure home.

no snakes, no rodents, no scorpions, no rain, snow, sleet, hail, mosquitoes, flies...

i have never camped under a tarp.

but i do like me a tent.

joe

Offline sledge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »
i lived in a north face tuolumne for a year, once.  a little 2-man tent.  when that wore out, the lady and i moved into another north face mini-house.

i think it was called a grasshopper, but i'm not sure.

long, long, bicycle tour.  2 years.  2 women, too, but that's beside the point.  

ah, youth!

joe

Offline Drewster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2012, 09:15:00 PM »
For ten days @ 10,000 ft, I take a tent......no question.
Carolina Traditional Archers
North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©