3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Special Howard Hill Longbow! Pics added  (Read 658 times)

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Special Howard Hill Longbow! Pics added
« on: June 20, 2012, 01:35:00 PM »
I had posted in the Howard Hill thread a picture of a special Hill longbow. I received the bow today and will take additional pictures in a little while.

I mentioned in the other post the bow was documented and notarized as to the history and that I would post an excerpt from the documentation about the bow.

I have had many Hill and Schulz longbows but this one is different than any others I owned. The limbs near the tip are very thin and the tips are very small. There also seems to be a little more back set to the bow. The bow is in great shape and I believe it was made in 1969. It has black glass on the back and white glass on the belly. The bow has written on the limbs Howard Hill and Tembo "Big  Boar". The name on the bow is Bob Wesley. The bow also came with the original bow sock.

This bow was built by Jim Darling, owned by Bob Wesley, inspected by Howard Hill, sent to John Schulz to be reworked to Howard's specs and shot by Howard Hill and Bob Wesley. For me it doesn't get any better than that.

Here is an excerpt from the notarized Statement of Authenticity from Robert B. Wesley.

"In 1969 it was my pleasure to visit Howard and Elizabeth Hill with my wife Frances and 3 year old son Bobby. We were invited to stay for several days or until I thoroughly understood the mechanics of "Indirect Aiming".

I arrived with four longbows which had been made by Shawnee Archery (the company that Howard organized) by bowyer Jim Darling. Howard examined these bows and told me that the tiller and limb tips did not meet with his approval. Several days later , upon completion of Howard's training we left for home and left two bows of Howard's choosing with him. He wrote detailed instructions to bowyer John Schulz on how to rework the bows. He then sent these bows to John who reworked them and returned them to Howard. Howard approved the bows. He wanted a specific limb tiller and small tips which released energy crisply or as he put it "sort of like a karate chop". His favorite of the two he named "Big Boar" as this was his favorite animal to hunt (having killed 101 boars). This was the bow that he shot as he trained me."

I intend to take and use this bow at our Howard Hill Hog hunt. I am a big fan of Bob Wesley and Howard Hill. Maybe several of us can take a hog with Howard's favorite bow "Big Boar". Now that would be some icing on the cake for this bow at a Howard Hill Hog hunt.

I have to thank Mike for selling me this bow (if I told you what Mike sold the bow to me for you would hate us both, ha!). It is like new and with this history it is very special to me. I hope we can all enjoy it at the hunt.

I will try to take some detailed pictures for my Howard Hill brothers and sisters that appreciate these bows. This bow is quite different than the other Hills I have owned.

Now I am going out to shoot it to see if it feels any different. It is 71# @ 28 so if I can string it and shoot it I will let you now how it shoots. By the hunt I will be shooting this one easily.

More to come a little later.
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Special Howard Hill Longbow! Pics added
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 01:45:00 PM »
Excellent and interesting read!!

Wouldn't it be nice to have the bow measured and the dimensions recreated for a line of "Big Boar" bows to be made by HH Archery or another prominent Hill style bowyer?

Looking forward to seeing it at the hunt!! Being a lefty, I doubt I could even pull it back to a proper anchor.

Thanks Gil for sharing.

Bud
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 01:51:00 PM »
Bud that is a good idea. I may have to check that out with Craig. I am going to try to take some pictures of a few Hill bows I have as comparison also. One is a custom by Craig, one is a Tembo by John Schulz and this one reworked to Howard's specs by John Schulz.
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 01:54:00 PM »
Near bought that very bow! Glad to see it found a good home! Take good care of it Gil. Might even get it into the woods now & then?
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 02:51:00 PM »
Looking forward to pics. Congrats !

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 04:12:00 PM »
I was outside shooting the bow for quite a while. I have to get it scaled because there is no way it can be 71#. I want to try get some arrows for it but I can't until I scale it. To me it feels about 56#. I wonder if when John re-tillered it he wound up reducing the weight too.

I will have pictures later today. it is one sweet shooter.
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 04:38:00 PM »
Quit teasing! LOL

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 04:47:00 PM »
Quite cool.  If that bow could talk...

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 05:17:00 PM »
No matter what the weight, that is a very special bow. Congratulations. At 71# there was a day I could've shot it. Not today, and tomorrow doesn't look so good either.  :D
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 07:00:00 PM »
I saw it on the other classifieds after you bought it! I would have snagged it for sure if I saw it sooner. Great bow and a really cool history to it. Good luck with it.

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 09:28:00 PM »
Bob told me this story when I visited him at his shooting school, cann't wait to see it.  I think it would be awesome if you got to harvest a Boar with that bow and keep the legacy alive.

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 10:41:00 PM »
I got stuck on a problem with work tonight and just finished up. I will post the pics tomorrow. i think a lot of you can shoot this one since it really does feel like 56#. I don't have a scale but I think I will have to get one for this bow to determine the draw weight. I hope a few of us can score a hog with this one at the hunt.

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 11:12:00 PM »
Gil,

Congratulations. Nice piece of history there. Awesome!

Matt
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 11:16:00 PM »
I wanna see!! I wanna see!! Good For You, Congrats!!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 08:26:00 AM »
More pics Gil, please.....

:)
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Pete Darby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 08:48:00 AM »
I also would love to see it.  Bob also told me the story when I attended his shooting school.
Pete Darby

Offline Ralphie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2012, 09:08:00 AM »
Is this the bow I told you about?
Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire.

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2012, 10:21:00 AM »
No Ralphie, that one is older I believe. I am going to have to find out about that from Craig. There is a lot of sentimental value in the bow for the prior owner and that bow could be worth a lot of money.

If it is worth a lot of money I told the seller I would send it back to him and he can keep it for a rainy day an sentimental reasons.

I know someone that has a Hill bow documented to be made by Howard Hill and he is selling that one for $1500. The sellers father of this bow worked directly with Howard to get the bow built to his specs. It looks very old with no serial number or writing other than the Hill signature on the bow. That is what the other bow that is going for $1500 has.
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2012, 01:50:00 PM »
Here are the pictures. I have two other Hills for comparison. The Hill with the snake skins is a Craig made custom Wesley, the Hill with the brown glass and antler tips is a Hill Tembo made by John Schulz and the bow with the black and white glass is Bob Wesley's Tembo. I guess they named bows back then because on the Wesley they have the name "Standing Bear', on the Schulz Tembo "Sagitarius" and on the Bob's bow "Big Boar".  

I think Bob's bow was cut down and had the top of the limbs and tips narrowed. I think this also reduced the weight quite a bit. I am going to confirm that with Bob. The brace heights are the same for all three bows.

This first picture compares the top tips.

Here are the bottom tips.

Here is the limb profile.

Here is what the tiller looks like strung.

The rest are of Big Boar.

TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline JV Rooster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2012, 01:51:00 PM »
Very nice!
>>>------John------>

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©