3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Question for Barry Wensel  (Read 282 times)

Offline chowder

• Trad Bowhunter
Question for Barry Wensel
« on: June 20, 2012, 09:03:00 PM »
Hi Barry, I was just curious if Schaf ever shared his thoughts with you about shooting a arrow off the shelf vs off a rest? Thank you
Fight all the way, like Johnny Reb

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question for Barry Wensel
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 09:20:00 PM »
I'm obviously not Barry, I'm sure he'll chime in soon!
  But Paul convinced me to have my first Tip done with a stick on rest. He told me better clearance, more forgiving,easier to tune.
Many, many moons ago!
David M. Conroy

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 09:24:00 PM »
I could be wrong but I think Barry still uses a cut down elevated rest. But I could be wrong!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline GregD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 09:32:00 PM »
Chowder, I'm pretty sure Paul Schafer shot 4 fletched plastic vanes off a rest I remember he had me buy swaged shafts with 4 vanes on them and reccomended buying the bow with a rest.

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 12:56:00 PM »
Same here used an elevated rest, Dave likes them also.

Offline chowder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 01:35:00 PM »
Very cool I need try that, can you put a rest on a recurve built for shooting off shelf?

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 02:03:00 PM »
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline chowder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 07:58:00 PM »
Thanks Kentucky, I ordered a silvertip last week, am gonna try both ways. Should get the bow next March. My dad always used a bear rest when I was a kid.

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 11:47:00 AM »
My apologies for just getting to this. I used to always shoot right off the shelf because of my shooting style. Paul knew that was what I preferred so made me several bows that I shot off the shelf and they were fine. Then one day he made me a new bow. For some reason I couldn't get it to shoot well at all. I thought it was maybe me so I went over to his house and we both shot it. I was glad to see he also had problems with shooting it consistently off the shelf. You could see it bothered him. He said (and I'll quote) "Here... we'll fix that SOB". He took one of those little plastic/nylon/rubber? stick-on finger rests and cut it in half horzontally with a pair of tin cutters. He said he cut it in half to keep the arrow low to my hand. I got the feeling he'd done this before. We strung it up and presto... perfect arrow flight instantly. He personally always shot off a little stick-on arrow rest because he used to shoot 4 fletch plastic vanes. Said it was easier to tune. He shot the soft plastic vanes because they were better in the rain. Said he liked four fletch because they seemed to stabilize the arrow quicker on really close shots. And he always mounted his broadhead vertical when on the string. He said it distracted him less than a horizontally mounted head. He normally shot Zwickey Eskimo 4 blade broadheads. BW

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 01:52:00 PM »
I just use shelf on both my Schafers Made by Dave after Paul's passing - only bows I got!

Just never seem to have trouble with off the shelf - but everyone is different try both ways and see what works best for you. I never tried cutting the stick on down though?????? I didn't like the stick on cause the arrown sat so high it felt uncomfortable.

Pics in March!

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 02:58:00 PM »
Chowder, I asked this question a while ago and was really surprised at all the responses. I went out and picked up a couple weather rests but haven't tried them out yet,

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=116846#000000
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 03:22:00 PM »
My go to bow is an original Silvertip and it shot good without a rest but shoots amazing with one on. I love that bow!
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline chowder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 11:09:00 PM »
Thanks Barry and all you guys, Really appreciate the info!

Offline chowder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 11:11:00 PM »
Thanks Barry and all you guys, Really appreciate the info!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©