3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broadhead Question - Stinger, WW, Magnus  (Read 581 times)

Offline stick_string

• Trad Bowhunter
Broadhead Question - Stinger, WW, Magnus
« on: August 02, 2007, 11:51:00 PM »
All,
I have seen many debates on hear about which broadhead everyone likes, but I would like to ask the question a different way.  I am a "thrifty" buyer so I like bulk but I also want performance.  I am trying to decide between the Stinger (2 blade w/ bleeder), Magnus Snuffer, or the Wensel Woodsman.  So here is my question:  :help:  

On all animals you have shot with  WITH ONE OF THESE HEADS, AND DOUBLE LUNGED ....  :archer:  what was the farthest the animal went?  

Please feel free to give the situation and BH that was used.  I am really curious about these heads as this is my first full year as a traditonal archer.
stick_string

GEN 27:3 (its in the BIBLE!!)

Ember Longbow and Brack Drifter

Offline Aggie1993

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadhead Question - Stinger, WW, Magnus
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 12:04:00 AM »
If I use a screw-in broadhead it will always be a stinger with the bleeder blades.  Three mature bucks in two years and each fell less than 75yds (two lass than 30yds).  Same story with two doe but less than 50yds (one at ~15).  Each deer never knew that they were hit...all pass throughs.  Incredible blood trails but they didn't last long:) Serveral hogs as javies as well.....best head out there imho.  This year I will be shooting cedar and it will be a Magnus or WW that gets the call but I have not harvested a deer with them............yet.
Phil 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

Kempf Trophy Hunter 58" 51@28
Kempf Kwyk Styk 58" 51@28
Kempf Kwyk Styk 58" 54@28
Kempf Trophy Hunter 58" 51@28

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 03:56:00 AM »
I don't think you'll notice an ounce of difference in any of those you list provided proper shot placement. Pick the one you really want to use and don't look back.

Offline JOKER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 06:34:00 AM »
There would be almost no difference in the time it takes a deer to go down on a "double lung" shot from these three heads. The difference would be in shot placement, i.e. where the "double lung" shot was. All the blood in the body goes through the lungs, starting with big blood vesels and branching down to smaller ones like a tree. A low forword lung hit will be verry quick, taking out the major blood vesels in the lungs and droping bp almost instantly. A high back lung hit would get verry small blood vesels and damage the lungs little and may take a while.

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 08:09:00 AM »
I shot a deer last year, 8 yrds, broadside, standing, unalert, just the perfect senario.  Center punched the lungs.  He took off like a shot out of a cannon and ran just over 100 yrds before he did a nose dive.  My dad shot a buck a week earlier exact same circumstances except is was at about 4 yrs and it went 60 yrds before it did a nose dive.  I don't think the head mattered at all (and they were both taken with one of the three you have listed).  Darke is right use the one you really want and don't look back.  On a perfect double lung shot I doubt anybody can tell that there is a difference. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline stick_string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 09:51:00 AM »
DarkeGreen,
One of the reasons I ask is based on experience.  I shot a doe last year with a stinger...I center holed her/pass through...she went about forty yards and did a flip....that is great, but when examining the blood trail I realized something scary; there was not s single drop of blood on the ground until I got to her.   :scared:    If it would have been thick brush, I dont know that I would have found her.  Hince my question about how far have they gone?  Curious to know if they go farther with a stinger than the multi blade WW or Snuffer.

Joker,
I get what your saying, but read the above and you will know where I am comming from.

Dino,
What BH were you using?  Was there blood on the ground?  Alot?  :help:  

I am trying to eliminate as much error as possible using your advise...If anyone has pictures of blood trail that would be GREAT!!    :thumbsup:
stick_string

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 10:14:00 AM »
Sometimes it takes them 40 yds to starting pouring out blood and by that time they are dead, even in thick brush if they only went 40 yds you would hear them crash...
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 10:30:00 AM »
I use snuffers and all my game only went no more then 50yards (from stand/blind straight to game 20yards)

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 10:32:00 AM »
I agree with what JOKER said...if the animal is double lung hit, it's going down.  How far they go is anybody's guess.  There's no formula for that.

Now personally, I don't believe a 3 bladed BH will give you any more blood trail than a 2 bladed one.  I have used all three of the BH's in question and in my experience the 3 bladed BH's gave me the worst blood trails.

How far the animal runs after being hit, I think, has a lot to do with what the animal perceives at the instant the shot is taken.  The sound of the shot has lot to do with it but also what the animal feels at the moment of impact.  A 3 bladed BH must cut in 3 planes and thus must overcome more friction which translates into pain or feeling for the animal.  A 2 bladed BH only has to cut in 1 plane which means less feeling on the animals part.  Less feeling on the animal's part translates into less reaction from the animal and possilby less distance covered before death.

Furthermore, on marginal hits the 3 Bladed BH is more apt to remain in the animal which means you have a panicked animal trying to get away from the arrow.

I have gut shot several deer all with sharp 2 bladed BH's.  Most never new they were hit and all were recovered within 100 yds of the hit.  I actually had 1 doe remain in the same place after I hit her dead center in the paunch.  I could not make a follow up shot because she heard something(me) and kept looking my way.  She finally noticed my arrow laying on the ground beside her and started sniffing it...she never new she was hit.  I watched her for about 15 minutes before she finally laid down just a few yds from where I shot her.  Only then was I able to sneek up on her and finish her off.

My point is..I doubt she would have stayed there if I had hit her with a big Snuffer.  Just something to think about.  BTW...the Stinger(w/o the bleeder)is a bad-to-the-bone little BH!!!

Brett
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 10:42:00 AM »
Location, location, location.  A pass through from a steep angle with a low exit point will likely leave you a good trail.  With a "horizontal" hit, and possibly "high" takes time for the cavity to fill up, hence possibly a poor trail. Though both will result in a dead animal.  Seen any combination of the above.

Can't say there is any one definite plus of any of those products.  This sport is a number of dynamics, and I dare say it is impossible to replicate perfectly any scenario.

Just got to do your best, hope for the best, and be prepared for the easy or hard result.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline stick_string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 11:01:00 AM »
Indiana,
There is some truth to that but I do not want to depend on that, especially at night if I am going after hogs.

Mystic,
That is good information and what I am looking for.  Thanks for the advice.   :thumbsup:  

BobW,
I shot from treestands the most, so I understand the "drain hole" theory.  What is your experience with these heads?   :confused:
stick_string

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2007, 11:57:00 AM »
Let me say it another way.....

You'll never go wrong with a good sharp 2 blade BH!!  Never!  

There is more to tracking than just following blood trails!!!
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2007, 12:19:00 PM »
I hate to step on anybody's toes, but I agree with Steetalker. I've shot a bunch with 2 blade heads and a few with snuffers. I prefure a razer sharp 2 blade. Anyhow nice to be here.
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline stick_string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2007, 12:24:00 PM »
Larry247,
What is your experience?
stick_string

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2007, 12:34:00 PM »
I've had several years to play with the differant heads 17-18yrs, give or take, and like you said I've shot'em in the paunch and they just stand there and I've got another shot w/2 BH's. I've stuck'em w/ 3BH's and not pass through and they run like there hindins on fire.

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2007, 12:44:00 PM »
stick-string, The last one I shot with a snuffer bled o.k. but the arrow didnt make through him and he ran 2hunred yds. I stuckim in the pump station too. Man he bled, I believe if it a been a two BH, he wouldnt a done that.

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2007, 12:47:00 PM »
Stingers
Two Javelina, max 30 yards
One 125 lb hog, 40 yards
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2007, 12:53:00 PM »
stick-string, the last one I shot with a snuffer did'nt pass through and he ran 2 hundred yd's or there about. He bled good though. I believe it stuck in a rib bone and just could'nt make it through. It was a fur piece out too him though. I learn new stuff all the time.

Offline stick_string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2007, 01:46:00 PM »
Larry247,
200yards is after a boiler room shot is what I figured.  Thanks for the knowledge.

Beachbowhunter,
Stingers or Magnus two blades are what I am leaning towards...what do you use?  Four/Two blade? What Weight?  :confused:
stick_string

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2007, 04:10:00 PM »
I like the magnas 2 blades, 130 145g heads. I would'nt knock the snuffers though, some poeple love'em. One of my friends shoots them with big success.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©