3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: small game broadheads  (Read 361 times)

Offline cody94

• Trad Bowhunter
small game broadheads
« on: June 21, 2012, 09:17:00 PM »
i was thinking that i was getting tired of losing the same broad head, so for arguments sake, what do you fellow trad gangers think is the best SMALL GAME BROAD HEAD. i use zwicky deltas, but coons seem to find a way to snatch them from me lol.
OH BOY IS THIS GREAT!

Offline manitou1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: small game broadheads
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 09:44:00 PM »
NAP Thunderhead.  Not sure if any trad heads would be considered small.
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.
--Thomas Jefferson--

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 09:45:00 PM »
Bodkins.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 10:33:00 PM »
I use VPA SGT on everything from coons to squirrels. Most broadheads will work fine but they don't have the shock power of a blunt type point. In the case of coons and squirrels they can climb a tree after being shot with a broadhead but not with a blunt.
James Kerr

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 10:38:00 PM »
Dubbed Bodkins.  :D  Good point James.  ;)
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 10:38:00 PM »
X2 on the VPA SGT or any hex type blunt.  Puts a wallop on them.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 10:52:00 PM »
Steel force phatheads work great on rabbits, squirrels, and raccoons for me.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline tradhunterRN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 11:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by JamesKerr:
I use VPA SGT on everything from coons to squirrels. Most broadheads will work fine but they don't have the shock power of a blunt type point. In the case of coons and squirrels they can climb a tree after being shot with a broadhead but not with a blunt.
On the flipside there, I have heard other people say that they have had squirrels continue to run away after good solid blunt hits. What are your thoughts on rabbit?

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 11:28:00 PM »
Just a regular smooth blunt may or may not stop a critter.  I like to use a point that combines crushing and cutting.  Big Jin has an outstanding point.  I also use MA2's and 3's for small game on the ground, don't shoot it up into a tree, if it doesn't get stuck, it bounces all over the place and may come back at you.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 11:37:00 PM »
Rabbit are a fairly thin skinned game as are squirrels most any blunt will anchor them on the spot. I do not recommend using judo's though for small game. I have shot a rabbit at about 4 yards with one and it did not even phase the rabbit he just ran a few yards and I was able to kill it with a SGT. I am not a fan of the plain jane drawn steel blunt either as it does not have any cutting edges. Another option is to use a broadhead but find a washer that will fit on the threads of the head but is not too large that it will slip over the shaft. Just put the washer behind the broadhead for a little more shocking power.
James Kerr

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 12:00:00 AM »
Magnus heads.

I have enough of them with curled tips that I just take em to the grinder, flatten the tip down to about an 1/8" across (or more,.depending on how curled back the tip was to begin with).

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 12:29:00 AM »
You should check out the "Talon" by Red Feather Archery. Stan is a sponsor here. He makes an awesome small game head, as well as, broadheads.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline StephenC8

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 03:47:00 AM »
I use G5 Small Game Heads (SGH)... If you miss and they go into the grass, they leave such a large tear through it you can easily find them. However, if you hit your target, (chipmunk, squirrel, rabbit, etc) it tears them up so bad, you have to keep a paper towel handy to clean up the mess. They work well on larger animals such as woodchucks, raccoons, and porcupines; with such a large wound channel, they don't go far at all.

This past turkey season I got one with them out of my compound. I'm not sure that I'd want to try it with my widow since it's only 50# @ 27'' and doesn't have the same energy as they do coming out of my 75# Hoyt Carbon Element.
Black Widow PSA II Greybark
Falco Twin
Browning Nomad Stalker II

Offline Aunty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 04:00:00 AM »
I use the hammer head from 3 rivers only on rabbits everything else possum,hares ect i only use broad heads. Interested in how the bodkins work.

Offline Mongo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 06:03:00 AM »
Bodkins or MA3's.
If God didn't want man to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 09:44:00 AM »
Bodkins, bent up heavy Snuffers, 125 gr Snuffer seconds that I bought for a dollar each.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline cody94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 12:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by snag:
You should check out the "Talon" by Red Feather Archery. Stan is a sponsor here. He makes an awesome small game head, as well as, broadheads.
it looks like that would work awsome! thanks snag.
OH BOY IS THIS GREAT!

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2012, 02:45:00 PM »
We used to have a company here in town called Hi-Precision. They made the worst three blade broadhead ever made, soft metal. When they closed they had an auction and sold tons of the heads to locals for next to nothing. People now, all of these years later, offer them to me for free.  That free part makes them the the best pheasant points I have ever found with the magical ability to rust away to nearly nothing in one year if left out on the ground after a miss.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2012, 03:49:00 PM »
Bodkins
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2012, 04:25:00 PM »
Whatever broadhead I can get free or cheap. I cruise swap meets at bow shoots for old heads. My best purchase was 48 Bodkins and MA-3's for only $5.

Every other groundhog I shoot takes the whole arrow down the hole with them. I go through a pile of broadheads.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©