3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best value in high-performance recurves?  (Read 1085 times)

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best value in high-performance recurves?
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2007, 01:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by James Wrenn:
For budget the Quinn bows are hard to beat. The biggest bang for the buck on an ilf would be a Warf bow. Lots of options in that price range.jmo
I'd have to agree.

A lot of folks say great things about the metal-riser Quinns. I've only shot one of their wood risers, and it didn't feel good to me. Lots of handshock and vibration. Better tuning would have probably solved that issue though.

I've got a Warf in the works. After buying a Black Bear in ****, having Bob Gordon convert it and ordering a new set of ILF limbs, I figure I'll have about $350 into it. Based on everything I've heard, I won't be disappointed.

Another good bow to look into would be the Chek-Mate Hunter II. Even though I don't like the new, blockier grips, the bows still give excellent speed and forgiveness, especially for the price.

Offline Ia Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2007, 01:15:00 PM »
In my opinion, Quinn bows are absolutely the best bow for the money that I've ever shot in my 50+ years of shooting !!! I've owned MANY big name bows, but like my Quinns (I have two) better then all of them.

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2007, 02:03:00 PM »
I would have to go with RER bows, great bows,great prices and even greater customer service.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2007, 02:04:00 PM »
Welcome aboard! I'm not to far from you in Spread Eagle (other side of of Iron Mountain). There's a trad shop in Iron Mountain; Northwoods Wilderness Outfitters. Randy is a good guy to talk with and he has some bows you can try out.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Goodbye Shiner you were always a good dog.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2007, 02:12:00 PM »
Another vote for Ckeckmate.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2007, 02:42:00 PM »
Value is in the eye of the bow-holder...so to speak. Personally, I don't think you can get a better value than a Morrison Cheyenne. Expensive? Yes, but also a great value cause you get what you pay for. jmho.

Now, if you are looking for a great value at the lower end of the price range spectrum of new bows, I would have to agree with the Quinn recommendations. I have played with one of these and it's a heck of a bow for the $, if you like metal risers.

If it doesn't have to be a new bow, consider shopping the classifieds here...some excellent values are always present.

Whatever you decide, do yourself a favor and shoot as may different bows as possible before plunking down yer greenbacks. Eventually you may find THE one that shoots best for you, and that makes all the difference in the world.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Swanny in MD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2007, 04:04:00 PM »
another vote for warf...mine's a metal riser Black Bear with a used set of samick extreme limbs...my only bow I have other than the ones i make. Never have been as accurate as I have with this bow.

Less expensive than the RER and you can tune it far beyond the RER, plus have access to an incredible line of ILF olympic limbs far cheaper than the RER limbs would cost.

RER would beat the Warf in beauty, no doubt.

Offline KyleAllen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2007, 05:55:00 PM »
not sure what your wanting to spend but my #1 vote is a bob lee. I think they start at 480 or so i believe. And there is not a better hunting bow out there for the money, IMO. Speed, smooth, quiet. If you buy a cheap bow, you will eventually step up to a better one. Might as well save the money and get a good one right off

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2007, 06:20:00 PM »
What JC said. I love my RER bows, Morrisons are awesome bows but not for me, so ya see the question is what you like and shoot best. All around value though, Chek-Mate has to be in the mix. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2007, 07:06:00 PM »
Quinn Stallion.

None better for the dollar, and a lot of bows for a good bit more that can't shoot with it.
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Offline peak98

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2007, 07:26:00 PM »
My vote goes to RER Bows, basic one piece bows start in the mid $400 range, and they are easy to tune, quiet, quick.....I haven't owned nor shot a Quinn, so I can't comment on them but they always get great reviews. Try to go shoot some different ones if you're able to, shoot a low, medium, and high wrist grip if possible and see what fits you best, then you'll have a better starting point. You can pick up alot of used custom bows at excellent prices, but you need to get a starting point as to what you do and don't like so you don't end up with a bow that you can't shoot well.
peak98

traveling East, in search of more light.

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2007, 10:11:00 PM »
Well... you didn't say how much that budget was, but there's several options, of course. Quinn, Chek-Mate, Warf just to name a few, or buying a used bow from a reputable buyer. This site has a GREAT classified section.
  There's lot of good choices out there.

JC

Offline Yellowsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2007, 09:02:00 AM »
Don't forget the venerable Martin X 200.

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2007, 10:39:00 AM »
RER and CHECKMATE are good choices. also don't forget ROSE OAK by brandon stahl.

look hard at used bows too!  great bows in awesome condition are out there and well priced

Offline J-Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2007, 07:42:00 PM »
I would definately get a Warf or a Quinn, if you like to tinker and try different combos then get a Warf.  If you want to just get a bow and be done with it get a quinn.  

Sure they are ugly, but a deer doesnt care how much cocobolo or osage is in your bow.  I would much rather have a fast, accurate, smooth, and stable bow than a pretty one.
The wind messed me up, what were you thinking?

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2007, 04:45:00 PM »
I'm not sure what you mean by "high performance" but Bob Lee Archery produces outstanding bows for the buck spent. Better yet, they have been around for many years and you can find good buys in the TradGang classified section. Oh yea, their customer service is excellent.   :thumbsup:

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2007, 05:42:00 PM »
I'm not a recurve man...but just picked up a Shrew Li' Favorite 54" recurve and @ 27" no finger pinch for me.  Cool recurve if you're into Shrews or Griffin longbows...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2007, 06:50:00 PM »
I've heard good things about the Quinns but not owned one. I am on my third ChekMate.  If you want a one piece my Falcon is my go to bow.  For takedown the Hunter 1 or 2 are nice and good performers.  Pretty bows at a good price - even better used.  Here are the two in my stable right now.  Steve

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2007, 08:54:00 PM »
I'd go with a Hoyt Gamemaster or an RER. I would also consider Rose Oak or a Marriah Thermal.

BD
BD

Offline Shifting Shadow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2007, 11:29:00 PM »
I've really enjoyed reading this thread. There is some good advice offered. I have shot RER, Quinn and  Check-Mate. Now I own the later two. Enjoy the search!
"Keep the bow you like or you will be looking forever." -H.J.

One bow. One arrow. My ideal.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©