3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Definitely woodies for me....  (Read 565 times)

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
Definitely woodies for me....
« on: June 22, 2012, 01:47:00 PM »
I shoot woodies for years now. Still, I am a little jealous on those who are shooting carbon. The stay straight, never break, and weigh all the same.

So I gave it a try. Made some carbons for my bow. Bareshafted them to perfection, the same as I do with my woodies.

I compared.

For me, wood shoots more accurate and feels more natural then carbon. It is hard to describe, but for me wood just feels good. The further the distance, the more obvious it got. With wood I can hit a target at 50 yards with ease. I even destroyed a nock at 50 yards. I can forget that with carbon.
I tried for a week, but no progres.

I guess I'm just not a carbon-man..... it's woodies all the way for me.....

Anybody out there with the same feelings?
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Definitely woodies for me....
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 01:56:00 PM »
I have been shooting wood now for over a year.So I,m still new at it,but to me they are quiet in my hill bows.Shoot the same as carbons but mean more to me because I made them my self.Harvested a nice fat doe last fall with a ash arrow that I made.Killed deer with carbons but just not the same.Woodies are my true choice,and wood arrows and longbows go together.
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 02:09:00 PM »
I have tried carbon and aluminum and they shoot great-as does wood.
I love working with wood- just feels right-and I have a boatload of old shafts stashed away.   :archer2:    :archer2:

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 02:10:00 PM »
I've found that while it is a bit easier to get carbons functinally close and plenty accurate with a center shot recurve/longbow, it's harder to get them exactly right, and totally unthinkable out of a non centershot selfbow (which I prefer and use most).  Woods take me a bit more tinkering, but I can get them exactly right, and can get them to work out of a selfbow.  And they are just prettier and softer to my eye.  There's a place for both, but I shoot more woods than carbons.
Silence is golden.

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 02:31:00 PM »
My experience is that carbons magnify any human errors with the form or release.  Wood on the other hand, seems to absorb those imperfections.  Therefore, I am more accurate with wood and will accept the fact that they may not be as durable as carbon.

Offline deaddoc4444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 02:33:00 PM »
CERTAIN  targets  I prefer aluminum  due to not losing points in the bag  , as I do with wood.   Shooting woods into frozen bales of excelsior  in the winter is not fun so I use aluminum for that . I have shot carbons  many times  Mad hundreds of them for people  but CONTINUE to go back to wood its the best .
HH Big 5 71# @29
Damon Howatt/Hunter 50@28
Damon Howatt/Ventura 45@28
Damon Howatt/Bushmaster 60@28
Leon Stewart/Slammer 52@28
BIG EAST  45@28
Fedora Xtreme/Hybrid 50@28
   "Leiber Hammer als Amboss"

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 02:34:00 PM »
My experience is exactly the opposite.  I can get carbons shooting well enough that I won't shoot more than two or three in a group to minimize the number destroyed from robin hoods.  Woodies, I've never been able to get that close.  There's always a few that just won't group.

Ain't it great to have options?  Everyone can find something that does exactly the job they want done.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 03:25:00 PM »
I prefer wood but it's hard to pass up the benefits of carbon. I have currently settled on shooting both so I can quit deciding between the two. I won't run out of wood because I always buy more, don't know if I'd buy more carbon once I run out (and it would (wood - ha!) be awhile yet)

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 03:32:00 PM »
Currently getting carbons flying real well out off my Hill style Dave Johnson bow. I have a wood test kit from magnus heading my way. Then the madness will be even more intense    :D  

I want good wood flight out of that bow. It's gonna take me some more tinkering, but I see and end to the madness at some point....hopefully.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 05:33:00 PM »
Do they really make arrows out of something other than wood?
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 07:54:00 PM »
I tried carbon, but they just didn't "feel good" out of my Hill bows. Same thing with aluminum, even though I did shoot it for several years.

I think the performance of wood has been just fine, and I like the traditional aspect, especially out of a longbow. I'm an old fart, and I just like old ways.
Sam

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 08:30:00 PM »
I know what you mean . Ive tried carbon numerous times with the same results. I keep going back to wood. I have really taken a liking to heavy aluminums though.
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 08:45:00 PM »
Im with you Dutchman, Ive tried carbons, aluminums, fiber glass, but nothing suits me as well as woods.

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 08:51:00 PM »
I'm just the opposite! I love my carbons. I got so frustrated with the wood arrows that I threw all I had in a fire pit at a tournament in January of this year and have not looked back.

To each his own, I guess. That is whay they make all the different kinds.....so that all can have something that works well for them.

Did this this afternoon at 20yds with my carbons:

Don't think I have ever come close with wood arrows.

Bisch

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 09:04:00 PM »
I'm with you FD,for me nothing feels or flys like wood.Iv' tried carbon and allum, can't shoot them as
 well

Wood for me, wood bow- wood arrows

as wood. Too me WOOD IS GOOD- LOVE THAT POC
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 09:19:00 PM »
Wood, aluminum, carbon. An arrow is an arrow for me :-)

Offline longbowray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2012, 12:18:00 AM »
Use them all .
BOWHUNTTER FOR LIFE

Offline BeNoIt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2012, 12:38:00 AM »
I switched to wood arrows about 4 months ago and haven't shot a carbon since. Not against them, I just like the way the woodies fly and feel out of my bows.

So, I passed my carbons on to my son and he just had them cut to his length tonight.
David

Matthew 6:33  But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Bigfoot Flatliner 55@28 64" (New!)
Spirit LB 55# @28" 62"

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2012, 01:47:00 AM »
I really like the way wood "feels" and sounds off the bow, but shoot carbons too.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2012, 02:10:00 AM »
I'm a died in the wool carbon shaft fan for accuracy. They are either dead straight or broken.
Granted.... they take a bit more patience to get matched up to your bow, but they darn hard to beat in toughness and consistency.

But..... There are times when ya just gotta shoot natural shafts...

I just had a fine gentleman put a  dozen really fine Tonkin bamboo shafts in my hands today....   :bigsmyl:  

i'm looking forward to tuning a few of these to my long bow and going stumping with em on Sunday. Nothing like shooting stumps to see what an arrow is made of.... The word is about these cane shafts is they recover much quicker than doug fir or cedar shafts, and they are tough as any hardwood shaft out there, but lighter weight. They have a full length taper and are running about 80 lb spine at only 5/16" diameter..... THAT is impressive in itself. these things are 34" long too.   :eek:  he weight matched these for me to +or- 2.5 grains.... that's darn near as close as carbon.

I'll let ya know what i think of these bad boys... Kirk

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©