3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Practice??  (Read 457 times)

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
Practice??
« on: June 22, 2012, 03:57:00 PM »
Anybody practice shooting using just one arrow?Been doing it for a while now and seems to help alot.Its a pain sometimes going after one arrow but I think it will payoff when hunting season is here.Sometimes you amaze yourself on how you can shoot.......
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Offline manitou1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Practice??
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 04:03:00 PM »
You bet.  Some of your world class trainers STRONGLY recommend only shooting one arrow.  Groups  teach us bad habits if we aren't careful.
I know I have a tendency to take a little more time with my shot if I know I have to walk over and retrieve that arrow after each shot.  We usually only get one shot at an animal... so we need to make that one shot count, eh?
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.
--Thomas Jefferson--

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 04:12:00 PM »
I sometimes shoot groups just to confirm consistency (or inconsistency). However I do all of my major practice with a single arrow.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 04:15:00 PM »
Sometimes, but mostly it's one arrow at a distance theme another arrow for a new target and new distance. I do shoot two rounds of five arrows for group everytime I shoot though
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Huntingnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 04:22:00 PM »
90% of my practice is with a single arrow.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 04:24:00 PM »
I should, my first shot is usually good and it's downhill from there for that particular target. When I move to next target I'm good one time again. Now if my first shot is bad, I try and concentrate and get it right before I move on.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 04:28:00 PM »
One of my favorite things to do is similar to Brian's.
I'll take 6-8 arrows and place them at different distances and angles from the bag.  I'll cycle through those.  Keeps me from getting one sight picture burnt to deeply in my simple brain...LOL
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline Mic W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 04:34:00 PM »
I have started shooting just one arrow during practice and have seen great results.

Other than the trainers recommending to do so, my reasoning behind it is. Since I am practicing for hunting and hunting is a "one shot game" I want to practice that way

Online toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 05:07:00 PM »
I shoot my  usual string of 5 ends of 5, then one extra shot. I nock the arrow to the string as I would hunting.  I wait for the shot allow anticipation to build, focus hard on a hair, come up, draw smoothly and a slight woosh.  Where the arrow hits the target it stays there till I practice next.  This reenforces that I have to live with that shot forever and to make that once in life time shot count.

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 05:31:00 PM »
All the time
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline traditionalman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 07:30:00 PM »
Shooting a quiver full of arrows is the best way not to pratice. You will start making too many mistakes and develop bad habits. One or two at the most with one arrow being the best chooice.
Gary King

Offline Elk whisperer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 07:34:00 PM »
helps your shoulders also
The older I get the better I was

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 08:07:00 PM »
I practice with one arrow. At our ranges, it's not a big deal to walk down and get it.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline rick7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 08:18:00 PM »
one arrow only. i concentrate more on the target. it seems to help me and i need to walk a few pounds off

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 08:36:00 PM »
It makes me concentrate more and I get better groups lol.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 08:42:00 PM »
As hunting season gets really close I start practicing with fewer arrows and count only the first one as a realistic shot. During hunting season I mostly shoot one arrow -- either at the end of an AM sit or at the beginning of a PM sit.

I believe in shooting groups as I am constantly trying to improve my shooting. If I begin to fear shooting groups I'm putting too much emphasis on aiming instead of the "back of the shot".

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2012, 12:52:00 AM »
One arrow is great shooting practice.  I also just started shooting one of those basketball-sized Rinehart targets that you just throw out somewhere.  Knowing that a miss means I'm probably going to have to search in (and under) the grass, I tend to focus better.  

The best shooting I've done in a long time was last week, at Compton.  I have only shot one other time on an outdoor 3D course; usually I practice with 4 arrows, in my back yard.  I was much less sloppy, more focused, and more consistent at Compton, where I got one arrow for each target.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2012, 12:57:00 AM »
At the range I go to I shoot one shot each at
30 yards
I mix it up and shoot from 30 down
I love Bow Hunting

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2012, 02:18:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bowwild:
As hunting season gets really close I start practicing with fewer arrows and count only the first one as a realistic shot. During hunting season I mostly shoot one arrow -- either at the end of an AM sit or at the beginning of a PM sit.

I believe in shooting groups as I am constantly trying to improve my shooting. If I begin to fear shooting groups I'm putting too much emphasis on aiming instead of the "back of the shot".
X2    i do exactly the same thing. 2 or 3 arrows a day from different angles. pull after each shot.

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2012, 07:49:00 AM »
I practice 5 days a week, 25-30 arrows per session and use 1 arrow at a time. I vary the distance ( 7-25yds.) and also the angles within reason. I have found that using this technique has improved my accuracy quite a bit. Only one shot counts is the mindset I take.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©