3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: sharpening with a file  (Read 654 times)

Offline ymountainman

• Trad Bowhunter
sharpening with a file
« on: June 22, 2012, 11:32:00 PM »
Hey guys just got my new ace super expresses in. I got me a chainsaw raker file or depth gauge file, it is a oregon and it says swiss made on it. I've spent hours in my shop using stones,steels,leather strops with compound on them, crock sticks, just about everything. And i think a file sharpened edge is sharper than all of them. It will ROLL the hair of the side of my calf.I can't believe a file will get a broadhead that sharp. After i use a file it seems like i dull them trying to strop them or use a stone to hone them. Im always trying to get the scariest edge i can. I just never thought a file would do that. Just thinking out loud.

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: sharpening with a file
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 12:06:00 AM »
In my opinion you are on the right track.
I use a raker file and use the smooth edge of the file like a butcher's steel to finish up. Good for two blade or three blade broad heads and gets them shaving sharp.
Raker files are inexpensive and very efficient.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 01:42:00 AM »
I'm a big file guy myself.  Lots of ways to get there but I'll take a file first any day.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline robertson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 05:07:00 AM »
Same for me after trying everything else around

But i still think that some broadheads are

better with a file ( Magnus ) and others better

with a stone . ( tuff head ) that i use in Afica.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 07:28:00 AM »
File only for me please.

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 07:39:00 AM »
Ive had the most luck getting a nice ge with a file, though I do strop and tune up an edge with an Arkansas stone my father in law gave me.  Gets hair popping with that.
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline BowsnLabs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 08:01:00 AM »
I'm not that great with a file "free hand" but when I shoot Zwickey's, I use a 'Lil' Shaver' sharpener (3 Rivers used to sell them...may still do it) and I can get a shaving sharp edge with this.  I'll file sharpend the tip angle down and then use the Shaver to do the entire edge and they really get sharp.  For some reason I think a file sharpened edge tends hold an edge longer as well.

Offline Day Dreamer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 08:26:00 AM »
Sold my KME, good product by the way. I seem to get a very nice edge on zwickey's with a file.

Offline T Lail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 08:40:00 AM »
file for me too....if I do my part, vittles in the pan......
NCBA Life Member
Compton Member
Carolina Traditinal Archers
Bowhunter Education Instructor

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 09:03:00 AM »
Interesting to see this thread. I've been doing it 'file-only' for more than a decade. I can get any (seriously...any) broadhead shaving sharp with just one small file. I've used it on Zwickeys, Snuffers, VPAs, Magnus, Abowyers, Eclipse and others. As Smokin Joe says, I use the side (edge) of the file to steel my final edge. On a wilderness hunt, the only tool I take for broadheads is my file.

Couple extra thoughts...

At home I've been known to occasionally strop my finished heads on leather...just lightly. Some Simichrome or polishing paste smeared on the leather seems to enhance the final effect.

A piece of cardboard makes a very good strop in a pinch. Cardboard surface is just textured enough to do the job. I've used it to put the final razor edge on a 3-blade.

The top rim of a water glass (tumbler) makes a great final 'edge-setter' on all heads, but especially on 3-blades. The glass rim needs to be radiused (most are) and smooth to touch. Very lightly drag the almost-finished head across the radiused top rim of the glass, holding the same sharpening angle. On 3-blades, I put 2 blades on the rim and drag backward to the tip. The only pressure is the weight of the head. Glass being harder than steel, it will align the final micro edge (burr, bead, wire edge etc) to amazing sharpness.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 09:13:00 AM »
Thanks Kevin. I'll try this.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 09:16:00 AM »
Told a guy here once I'd never believe a hair popping edge from a file. I was wrong! Dont know how you file guys do it?

Agree w/above about LIGHTLY stropping or working the edge to perfect after sharpening. And, a small 30x-40X scope you can see the edge perfect.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline yukon chuck

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 09:18:00 AM »
Like Kevin, I've been doing the drinking glass trick for a number of years now and it is surprising the difference it makes. But Kevin is  right though, that only very light pressure is needed. Pretty cool. Simple and effective. I think over all, the biggest problem most guys have with files, aside from keeping a consistent angle, is the use of too much pressure. Kind of like using a hand saw, you've got to let the file do the work.
>>>--TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Longbow Association
Yucketsville Buffalo & Cricket Association

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle". -Plato

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 09:30:00 AM »
yuk-chuck (sorry..couldn't resist!) is spot on his comment. Ultra-sharp always equates with ultra-careful (angle) and ultra-light (pressure). On the final half dozen strokes, I'm carrying some of the head's weight and just barely letting it contact the strop/steel/glass. A feathery touch is best. My all-time favorite file is the Kustom King broadhead file...I think I own 5 or 6 new and unused ones...and have 3 in service. I even made my own file sheath for use when traveling on hunts.

Incidentally, on new heads I often begin with an 8 or 10 inch mill bastard file for initial edge reduction. They cut faster and easier, saving time and wear/tear on a good broadhead file. I recommend a file brush (cleaner) to periodically remove the cuttings from file teeth. A partially-plugged file will have you muttering bad words while wondering why your broadhead isn't getting sharp.

snag....love your arrows...always!

This thread is reminding me that I have a new KME with accessories which needs to get listed on the classifieds. I never use it.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2012, 12:43:00 PM »
You are spot on Kevin about taking care of your file..... A good file card will clean a dirty file and restore it's ability to cut with clean gullets. Don't forget the chalk trick too.... clean your file with alcohol or acetone, then chalk it up before and during use. I always alcohol and then WD 40 my files before storing too. Rust KILLS a file. When I get it out I alcohol to remove the WD 40, chalk her up and get to cutting. The chalk will fill the bottom of the gullets, absorb any oils, and keep your metal filings free from sticking in the bottom of the gullets. Never touch the file teeth with your fingers, use a good wooden file handle. Finger oils and acids will eat your file and clog the teeth.

The old time machinists who trained me in my machining days would roll over in their grave if they seen how most try to use or worse yet, not care for a good file. You would be amazed at how long a good quality Nicholson, Sandvik, or other high quality USA or Swiss made file will last with proper care.   :readit:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2012, 02:18:00 PM »
Files are a good thing at my cabin
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2012, 12:00:00 AM »
I hope you guys know that you've got a lot of people a spittin' and a sputterin' for using them danged old files. Everybody knows you can't really sharpen broadheads with out fancy sharpening devices!   :)   I thought I was the only person left that used a file.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline Harleywriter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2012, 01:24:00 AM »
Good thread: When I worked in an office I kept my pocket knife shaving sharp by honing it on the bottom of a ceramic coffee cup. I will get my files together Monday and make sure they are clean and ready to go. I always use a file card, too. That is one thing that really helps.
Schafer Silvertip; Mahaska longbow; Highwood Hunter; Bear Super Kodiak and way too many others

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2012, 06:23:00 AM »
I use a file too. Its an easy carry item in the field. Also use cardboard some. Mr. Charlie Lamb has a good tutorial on using a file. Its where I learned some finer points on how to use one properly.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline Rufus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2012, 04:12:00 PM »
Yeah Butch. Never said anything about sharpening with files cause I figured I be told how awful that was and didn't care to debate what I apparently know nothing about    :rolleyes:   . If shaving hair or slicing a thin piece of paper ain't sharp enough, so be it I guess. Been doing it for ever. It's a matter of teasing the metal off as opposed to taking it off. A little file fits well in my belongings when I'm out and about.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©