3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: sharpening with a file  (Read 656 times)

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: sharpening with a file
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2012, 10:04:00 PM »
I never used to be able to get anything sharp with a file. But lately, I've been using them on knives and broadheads for the 'coarse edge' before polishing, and occasionally wondering if I should even bother going to a stone. Especially when I occasionally go to a smoother stone and make the thing less sharp!

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2012, 10:26:00 PM »
Hey Harleywriter, I couldn't agree with you more! This is a thread long overdue. Lots of folks use a file to sharpen their broadheads.  It's a very practical skill that is often overlooked.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2012, 10:37:00 PM »
I am interested in this as a file would be easy t carry on the hunt.  What files do y'all recommend.  I saw one person above likes a Kustom King file.  Any others out there worth mentioning?

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2012, 10:45:00 PM »
I went to my local Lowe's and bought a 6" Nicholson Mill Bastard file and the plastic handle to go with it. It has served me well. Not real expensive,  either.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2012, 10:55:00 PM »
Grobet are the best in my opinion, but any will do the job if they are sharp. The difference is in how long they last.

The biggest mistake most guys make is buying a file and thinking they never will need to replace it. If you hunt a lot you'll probably need to replace your file each year. If not so much then every other year.
If the teeth look shiny...replace it!
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2012, 11:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by cahaba:
I use a file too. Its an easy carry item in the field. Also use cardboard some. Mr. Charlie Lamb has a good tutorial on using a file. Its where I learned some finer points on how to use one properly.
Is the file tutorial on TradGang?
Jeff

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you."  Benjamin Franklin

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2012, 11:53:00 PM »
Jeff,

Here it is from the "How To Resources"

file sharpening
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2012, 06:16:00 AM »
I'm the guy who mentioned the Kustom King Broadhead File. I discovered years ago that this file has a fairly smooth and rounded edge, instead of the usual flat edge with file teeth. I use that rounded edge as a steel. I file-sharpen a head until it's cutting arm hair. Then I hold the file 'edge-up' and stationary (left hand) while stroking (steeling) the broadhead edges. I have my own very specific technique as does everyone.

One of the tougher things for most guys...when it comes to files...is sharpening free-hand while maintaining a consistent angle. When I reach the point of filing "this edge...flip, other edge...flip" and doing one file stroke per edge, it can be hard to maintain an angle. I have no secret for this. I've been doing it for so many years that I can just free-hand file from rough edge to totally hair-peeling sharp.

I don't know the maker of the KK file. Pretty sure it's not a Grobet, and for sure not a Nicholson. It's made in Portugal and stamped with a 'W'. Great file.

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2012, 07:07:00 AM »
I can get broadheads very sharp with one of the polishing wheels and jewelers rough.

I watched Ray Hammond get some Grizzlies sharper than I could on the wheel in a minute with a file and leather strop. I was amazed.

Ray told me that the wheel is good but you can't take it with you. He was right.
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2012, 07:53:00 AM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:
Jeff,

file sharpening  
Are these on YouTube? My iPad won't pull up that type video.
Romans 8:28

Offline yankeevol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2012, 07:50:00 PM »
Files are great, but KME gets my bleeder inserts sharper than I can with a file.

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2012, 10:38:00 PM »
part of the success of the original poster was the fact that he is sharpening Ace broadheads.

Ace is all i shoot now cause they fly great, sharpen easily, and are American made.......

Beat that.

Offline TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2012, 11:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by PowDuck:

Jeff,

file sharpening  
Are these on YouTube? My iPad won't pull up that type video. [/b]
Downloaded an app called azul so I could watch them on my iPad.  Works great.
Jeff

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2012, 12:56:00 AM »
I have only ever used a file.  With zwickeys or ace or magnus or similar i can be shaving hair in 20-25 stokes per edge....I single bevel and it takes oh...about two minutes per head if I take my time.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2012, 05:32:00 AM »
Two "secrets"-

first don't try to "cut" with the file. Let the weight of the file do the majority of the work

Second- find a stationary object like the edge of a stair railing or table - something other than your knee that lets you hold that head at a consistent angle to keep from rolling the edge instead of sharpening it when you push against it with the file

You've all seen the video of Fred Bear sitting by the fire and sharpening freehand - well DON'T do that!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2012, 08:14:00 AM »
Originally posted by roknjs:

Originally posted by PowDuck:

Jeff,

file sharpening  
Are these on YouTube? My iPad won't pull up that type video. [/b]
Downloaded an app called azul so I could watch them on my iPad.  Works great. [/b]
Thanks, Jeff. Worked like a charm.
Romans 8:28

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2012, 09:00:00 AM »
I took the Kustom King file and removed the wood handle, replacing it with a Forester chainsaw file grip. I also used a piece of large-diameter heat-shrink tubing to create a light sheath. I simply heated the end of the tube gently and slowly...just enough for it to grip the last couple inches of the file. Someday I may have a custom Kydex sheath made, but the tubing works great for travel.

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2012, 09:55:00 AM »
another couple of tips:
-- A file handle is a good idea, much safer than not having one. I just use a 3" long section of a stick that I have pre-drilled a little hole in for the file tang.
-- file to establish the edge and true it up -- then go light and stroke with just the weight of the file to sharpen. You get things sharp by stroking the edge lightly, not by filing it down.
-- Ray Hammond's advice about finding a solid surface is good. Sharpening a moving broad head would be beyond the limits of anyone's coordination.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2012, 09:35:00 PM »
Ray I wish you would do a video. That was the fastest and sharpest I have ever seen a person get a broadhead.

You tocuhed mine up and just watching you sharpen another I cut my finger on the one you sharpened for me and bled all over the deck at Hog heaven. That is the truth.

If you do one I will file it with the pork shoulder recipe.

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Knotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2012, 11:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kevin Dill:
I took the Kustom King file and removed the wood handle, replacing it with a Forester chainsaw file grip. I also used a piece of large-diameter heat-shrink tubing to create a light sheath. I simply heated the end of the tube gently and slowly...just enough for it to grip the last couple inches of the file. Someday I may have a custom Kydex sheath made, but the tubing works great for travel.

Nice!
56" TD Checkmate Hunter, #55@28
66" Checkmate Crusader, #60@28
60" Meland Pronghorn LB, 65@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©