3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why such a long wait for bows?  (Read 1194 times)

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why such a long wait for bows?
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2012, 12:48:00 PM »
I appreciate a custom bow. I can see where it might take a while given different circumstances. Persoanlly, i'm not patient enough to wait a year.....i'd just look for a used one. 3 or 4 months i could handle. Everyone is a little different

Offline Mr. Bones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2012, 12:54:00 PM »
If you're not willing to wait for a custom bow, many bowyers will sell you a bow off the self. But would it be custom? I like to be able to pick out the materials my bow will be made from and the draw weight as well as bow length.I guess thats what makes it custom. It seems like most boyers that I talk to have a turn around time of three to four months, Not bad I dont think.
I just bought a Great Northern Ghost from Jerry Brumm at the Compton shoot. I love the bow . It shoots great. I'm very happy with it.I have also ordered custom made bows from great Northern and waited about three to four months and the bow was exactly what I ordered.
Maybe you could try to make a better bow then all these bowyers the you have to wait so long for. Make it faster than in a few months and for less money.
And maybe you already have all the knowledge to build a bow that will perform to your likeing.
Let us know how that turns out for ya

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2012, 12:58:00 PM »
Good things come to those who wait.  One person can only build so many bows to the standards that the top bowyers hold.  There's plenty of good shooting production bows and used customs out there if the wait is a problem.

I've been on the Blacktail wait list now for fifteen months and don't expect to get my bow until later this fall.  I'm fine with that because I know it will be perfect when it comes.  Of course I have a few nice recurves to hold me until then...   :archer:

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2012, 02:15:00 PM »
X2 On Dan Toelke bows.  Quick service and one of the best out there in my opinion.

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2012, 03:03:00 PM »
Thank you Lawrence,

Capt. Eddie, Here's the way things are in the realm of "professional bowyering"

Who told you 12 hours of real work?  Even if that were true, no matter how hard at it we work, we can't make epoxy cure faster, we can't make coats of finish cure faster.  Additionally to the time we spend in building, we also spend hours replying to e-mails, talking on the phone, working on our books, Maintenance on equipment, finding a good source for a type of wood we've never heard of, but a customer wants a bow made from it, cleaning up dust, when it's all said and done at the end of the day, we can only hope we've make sufficient progress on our present orders so we won't be back out in our shops after dinner.
 I love my job and I get about 3-5 bows out per week. In my Previous life I was an Aircraft Fuel Systems Mechanic for the U.S. Air Force,  I did that for a little over 20 years.  This job is much more demanding, especially going solo.  We have to work extra hard to get a little ahead, so we can take a 2 week break, only to find out a customer has been trying to get a hold of us while we were away, because his son needed his bow rushed for an archery even next week. It happens A LOT! We put our customers needs in the forefront of our minds because for most of us, our goal is to make bows, making money is secondary, perhaps even out of shear neccessity.

Would I put a customer to the front of the line because he offered me 3X more money?  Not on your life.  I've had them try before.  I will however make an extra effort to get one to a kid with an upcoming birthday, because his father (probably extra busy like me) waited until the last minute to order it.  (not for extra $$ though, and only on my own time if I have it)
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2012, 03:07:00 PM »
Part of the fun of ordering the new bow to me is the anticipation of it arriving.  I have just as much fun thinking about what the bow will be like etc and how it will shoot as actually receiving the bow.  JMO

Offline wapiti

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2012, 03:13:00 PM »
As I see it all bowyers are different. Some of them know what they are doing and are very good at it. Some understand building a bow but the physical skills needed (i.e. using tools and having a feel for them) are somewhat less in the realm of things and then there are those who are pure genius, have a complete understanding on the build and materials and nothing short of true artisans who are efficient, exacting and professionals who's sole job is to build the finest bows imaginable.

If you have ever had the privilege of watching Dan Toelke and his son Jared build bows you will understand they fall in the later category. Hence the SHORT turn around times yet producing weapons of the highest quality and artistry.

Watch then set up machines, mill stock, assemble the parts, and finally shape and finish a bow to EXACTING standards is nothing short of amazing.   :bigsmyl:
“Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.”-Will Rogers

Offline critter69

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2012, 03:20:00 PM »
I would say if you dont want to wait try building them yourself. That way you get to pick the wood, plan the shape, everything. And you will soon learn what goes in to building one. ( and yes I do make a few) And no I would not do it for a living.

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2012, 03:31:00 PM »
There's no way I would or could spend $1200 on a bow!! I think others would agree.

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2012, 03:34:00 PM »
Let me add I have two bows that cost $525 but I got them 2 years apart. I waited only about 60 days. Two bows didn't cost me $1200.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2012, 03:46:00 PM »
Seems like a lot of folks are taking offense to capt eddie's questions. I don't see why. Seems like he was asking genuine questions to educate himself (and the rest of us).

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2012, 03:54:00 PM »
I now own three bows from custom bowmakers. My first was a longbow from Mike at Maddog that was built for me. I just bought a Wild Horse Creek bow, off the rack, from Mike Dunaway and I recently traded for a Drifter made by the late Jim Brackenbury. All three are unique and fun to shoot.
I also build selfbows so I understand the time and work involved in building a bow...it is not as easy as some of these guys make it look.

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2012, 04:01:00 PM »
And educate I did, Jeff. I certainly wasn't offended, I just have a bad habit of explaining too much.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2012, 04:06:00 PM »
Good conversation to have for a bunch of us new guys. Let me say "Thank You" as well to all the guys that build amazing bows and work to keep the prices where an average guy can afford to own a couple...or more...or more!!!

I've been bitten and kinda look at the wait time as a layaway plan.  Looks like most of the bows I would like to try require a small deposit to get on the list and get it going. I could then spend the next few months while I'm waiting for it paying for it in a few payments to the bowyer! Definitely works for me and will keep the "boss" off my butt for dropping $500 -$700 at a time. This even seems like it would allow many to have a couple bows working at the same time and make multiple payments over that time frame.  
I have no complaints.  
If i get impatient I can always hit the classifieds and get something quicker!!  Just sent payment off on one today and can't wait for it to get here!  The addiction has begun and my wife is afraid!

Don't double or triple your prices to get fewer bows out quicker......PLEASE!!
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2012, 04:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mike Mecredy:
And educate I did, Jeff. I certainly wasn't offended, I just have a bad habit of explaining too much.
I wasn't directing that at you ar anyone in particular....just a sense i had reading through the thread.  I appreciate your insight.

Offline Don Lampkins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2012, 04:45:00 PM »
When I was little my aunt told me I had two options for breakfast, Take it or leave it. The same goes for a custom bow. going in you know what your your wait time is. If you can't wait go to a different bowyer.
Hill Crocodile 64" 54@26

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2012, 04:48:00 PM »
I ordered a longbow from HHA 3.5 weeks ago and got it today.  Craig told me when I ordered it would be 3-4 weeks.  I consider it a custom bow as I picked all the woods, tiller, length, draw weight, finish, grip shape (based off my drawing), string, grip material, personal inscriptions, etc.  Granted HHA builds the same basic bow over and over again which I am sure speeds things up.  That being said HHA seems to have their act together combined with a very good work ethic.  In the end they sent me a stunning bow for less than $600 shipped, and in a matter of weeks.

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2012, 05:45:00 PM »
I didn't think so TxAg, but I have been in the past, ask the Question; Why will it take 12 - 14 weeks?
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2012, 06:17:00 PM »
x2 on Maddog service.

On another note...(not a Maddog)

I ordered a bow to my specs Dec of 2010 and sent in the $280 deposit. I was told six months. It arrived Jan of 2012. The bowyer was/is not a full time bowyer but did it on his off days from his real job, which puts food on the table, and so on. I didn't like the extra wait, but I certainly understand it and have no ill feelings whatsoever. The only problem is, I ordered two more bows in the wait time and have changed my favorite style of bow and the first one has been shot maybe a dozen times. It sits on the rack alot.

But at least I have several to choose from in case I change my mind.  ;)

Several custom bowyers have great bows with little wait. Shop around. There are many good ones out there.

Having said that, I won't wait another year for one. The classifieds here are a great resource  :)
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2012, 06:20:00 PM »
I will wait the year.please dont jack your prices.They are CUSTOM BOWS HAND BUILT JUST FOR YOU!!!! If it will make you feel better I will sell you my silver tip for 3000.I can have it to you in a week.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©