3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why such a long wait for bows?  (Read 1196 times)

Offline L. Bullington

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why such a long wait for bows?
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2012, 06:22:00 PM »
It seems to me that waiting for a handmade bow only makes it more special when you finally receive it. As others have said, there is a lot more to running a business than just making the products. A bowyer has the right to decide what his lead time is. IMHO

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2012, 06:32:00 PM »
I'm with SKITCH, I don't mind a longer wait, I have plenty of bows I can shoot in the mean time and the time lets me pay it off in installments after I make the initial down payment to get on the list.  I typically don't have $700 - $1200 at my disposal when the new bow bug bites me, much more manageable for me to pay over time. Bought many bows that very way.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2012, 06:40:00 PM »
My last custom bow was ordered with a 12 month lead time. That bow took 28 months to make. I missed two bow seasons with it. I reached the point where I didn't even care.

When the bow was finished the bowyer discounted the price for the extra time. I appreciated that and it went a long way toward soothing my feelings on the matter. When the bow came it was everything I had hoped for, I shot it a few days and realized it was "the one". We have bonded well.

Even though I shoot this bow very well, I never would have ordered it if I had known it would take so long, it just wasn't worth it.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2012, 06:41:00 PM »
I require 6 months but generally deliver in three and very seldom over four. Never have taken the six but want that time in case I mess up, get hurt , sick ect. Kirk explained it all very well. People do not see the countless time buying materials , talking with customers,. ect/ I just got a bow back that I did not even know was coming with a note saying, I fell down and broke my bow , I sure hope you can fix it/ That kind of thing happens and we do what we can to be a blessing to our customers/ It all takes time/ I have to stop and clean up the shop once in a while, Mow the lawn,. Plant the garden. Drink a cup of coffee/ I very seldom have any time to build stock bows , go to shoots , ect ect/ Honestly I do it simply because I love building bows and I want each one to be as nearly perfect as I can get it/
When you are talking about actual build time/ Well I take a couple of weeks just sanding and applying the finish. Sure I could sand it and spray it in one day.; But then It would not be the same. A part of the quality would be gone/ Real custom builders make sure each part of the bow is as good as humanly possible and sometimes that means literally redoing it or starting over when with a mediocre or production line bow you would get it as is.
Good enough is not in my vocabulary and when it is ,. If ever, I will find something else to do.

God bless you all,
Steve

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2012, 07:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by TxAg:
Seems like a lot of folks are taking offense to capt eddie's questions. I don't see why. Seems like he was asking genuine questions to educate himself (and the rest of us).

Originally posted by Mike Mecredy:
And educate I did, Jeff. I certainly wasn't offended, I just have a bad habit of explaining too much.
I wasn't directing that at you ar anyone in particular....just a sense i had reading through the thread.  I appreciate your insight. [/b]
So your previous comment wasn't aimed at Mike or "anyone in particular"... lol. Random thought is random I guess.

Once a person has really been into the in's and out's of this monster called traditional archery... which for a lot of folks is a life style... you begin to understand and appreciate and respect the time and effort that goes into everything that it comes with... the equipment... custom bows, quivers, knives and such... then there's the things that some people don't really notice that consumes an equal amount or, for some, more time that goes into crafting those custom made pieces... like the practice in shooting and tuning, building up in bow weight, land and game management, scouting and planning of hunts... and teaching others to shoot and hunt.

For some people some things are worth the wait. I forget the exact wait time for my custom made Brack but it was close to a year... for me it was worth it... even though I ended up selling it... it was definitely worth the wait to me... then again I just love this thing we do too much to care about wait times and prices... I'm patient enough to wait and pinch some pennies... or even 120,000 pennies.
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline moththerlode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2012, 07:16:00 PM »
Yea the wait can hit a point where you kinda even forget about it. Recently I even ordered another from another bowyer while waiting on one.
They both came this past week ( go figure).. I've been known to get a little carried away according to my wife. That deal also cost me a very expensive vacume purchase as I didn't have a leg to stand on denying it.
But then I get to play with the new bows while she plays with her new power sucking miriacle vacume and attachments cleaning up after my shedding dogs. win win all the way in my eyes LOL
God,Country and Family ..Semper Fi

Valley Springs Ca.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2012, 07:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by kawika b:

Seems like a lot of folks are taking offense to capt eddie's questions. I don't see why. Seems like he was asking genuine questions to educate himself (and the rest of us).

Originally posted by Mike Mecredy:
[qb] And educate I did, Jeff. I certainly wasn't offended, I just have a bad habit of explaining too much. [/b]
I wasn't directing that at you ar anyone in particular....just a sense i had reading through the thread.  I appreciate your insight. [/b]
So your previous comment wasn't aimed at Mike or "anyone in particular"... lol. Random thought is random I guess.

Once a person has really been into the in's and out's of this monster called traditional archery... which for a lot of folks is a life style... you begin to understand and appreciate and respect the time and effort that goes into everything that it comes with... the equipment... custom bows, quivers, knives and such... then there's the things that some people don't really notice that consumes an equal amount or, for some, more time that goes into crafting those custom made pieces... like the practice in shooting and tuning, building up in bow weight, land and game management, scouting and planning of hunts... and teaching others to shoot and hunt.

For some people some things are worth the wait. I forget the exact wait time for my custom made Brack but it was close to a year... for me it was worth it... even though I ended up selling it... it was definitely worth the wait to me... then again I just love this thing we do too much to care about wait times and prices... I'm patient enough to wait and pinch some pennies... or even 120,000 pennies.
I wasn't being negative and i'm glad to learn some info. Maybe i'm crazy, but if you go back and read all the posts, you might pick up on a few posts with negative connotations towards the OP. That's all i was referring to....like i said, no one person in particular

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2012, 08:20:00 PM »
I guess its easier for me to show you than to tell you why it takes so long. This is an older Stotler,
just by looking at the wood layout and design, you can see that theres no mass production here. A custom bow takes time patients and skill, hence the long wait.  [/url] [/IMG]  [/url] [/IMG]

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2012, 08:27:00 PM »
Ah yes, the waiting game.
For me it's good practice for hunting. I'm waiting on a Zipper right now. I didn't even ask how long it would take. But every now and then, I get a bit itchy...Just like in hunting!
From all I read, it'll be worth the wait.
Good input from the bowyers on their reality.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »
I can't find anything that stands out as negative. Maybe it looks that way because of the majority of the posts side on wait time being a non-issue?

If you don't want a lengthy wait time or a huge price tag then proceed on to something else that suits your needs or wants.

Anybody ever see a "My bow is better because I waited longer and payed more for it" thread? I haven't... but I have seen threads of the opposite nature.
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline sledge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2012, 09:02:00 PM »
i ordered a bow from nate at bamabows a couple of months ago.

i paid the full $496 at the time.

he only asked for a $100 deposit, but i wanted him to know i was fully in.

from what i've heard, nate is always a pleasure to deal with.

but we've chatted about fishing, hogs, and Lord knows what all.

when i slack off a day or 2, he sends me a link to something or other.

this is my 1st custom bow, but not my 1st custom order.

enjoy the experience.   go an extra mile,  and every custom knifesmith or gunsmith will go 2.  or 3.

bowyers too, i reckon.

they're mostly all in it 'cause they love it.

joe

Offline sledge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2012, 09:27:00 PM »

Offline Shortlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2012, 10:49:00 PM »
A lot of variables in play. Every bower and the bows they build are different. If you don't want to wait, there are options available in both factory and custom. A lot of good in stock bows out there to be had. Supply and demand might make you wait if there is something in particular you are after. I'm waiting ...........  But I just bought a nice used bow too. It's all good.
Ask me about the Professional Bowhunters Society.
Bobby Parrott

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2012, 10:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by critter69:
I would say if you dont want to wait try building them yourself. That way you get to pick the wood, plan the shape, everything. And you will soon learn what goes in to building one. ( and yes I do make a few) And no I would not do it for a living.
My thoughts exactly!
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline capt eddie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2012, 11:22:00 PM »
Thanks to all for the replies.  My post was not a complaint as much as a business question.  As I have researched the subject and I did find out that the cost of the bow does not have alot to do with the lead times.  As a matter of fact, The higher the cost usually ment a longer lead time.  There must be plenty of people buying $100 to $1800 bows.  I wonder if the one man, parttime operations would and could charge more for their bows and not have to work as much.  Then they could get out a bow quicker.  Be able to have their bows pay for insurance and retirement.  I do not begrudge a bowyer making a good living doing what he loves and be able to support himself and retire.  And if I did work for them I would like the same courtesy.  But if you tell some people that your are charging them $75 to $100 an hour labor they would go elsewhere.  Just check with a plumber, sheetmetal worker, or take your car back to the dealer for work.  They have no problem putting up a big sign that shows their rate.  Why not bowyers.
capt eddie

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2012, 11:40:00 PM »
I ordered a custom last year, when discussing the build I asked the bowyer how many hours he typically put into a custom build, the answer, 70-80 hours.  To be honest, I was stunned, but when I received the bow and saw the attention to detail he put into it, I understood.  This bowyer, like the vast majority of them, doesn't build bows as his primary source of income, it's a second job and he does it at night, on the weekends, or whenever else he can find some free time.  My bow took about 3 months, I would have happily waited 12.  If it's that important to you, just call the bowyer and ask, I think you would be surprised how little money he makes per hour.

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2012, 12:06:00 AM »
Hey Cap.....
What the dealership charges per hour is completely different than what the guys spinning wrenches are actually MAKING per hour!!    ;)
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline sledge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2012, 12:08:00 AM »
why do you insist that bowyers should be hourly wage workers?  they are not. they will not be.

they are artisans, craftsmen.  some might verge on artists.

why in the world should they charge by the hour, as the tradesmen you mention, to suit your skewed estimation of who they are and what they do?

they are not tradesmen!  they are custom craftsmen!

Offline daniel boon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2012, 03:48:00 AM »
PATIENCE IS  A VIRTUE
 I'm currently waiting on 2 custom bows, from 2 different bowyers,and both are running slightly behind their time estimates. I know that I'll get them when they are done, and they will be WORKS OF ART.
 As for the 12hrs I seen mentioned,to make a bow?
I think that it would take a lot longer than that.
 To pay $1200+ for a CUSTOM bow is Very reasonable. And as for a $500 bow, the bowyer would have to "KNOCK" one up in less than 1day, just to survive.
 Everyone wants to make more money, but a lot of folks, when they want something, they want it for nothing, and done yesterday.

Offline capt eddie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2012, 09:41:00 AM »
Skitch:The bowyer could be the dealership and get that kind of money.
Sledge; My skewed estimation is that they deserve more out of their craft then living bow to bow. They would all like to retire someday with money in the bank.
daniel boon;  You are right $1200 is very reasonable for a bow.  And the $500 bow that some bowyer knocked out might offend some of our local bowyers.  They might have just as much time and money in the same bow that is being sold elsewhere.  They just have to work at other jobs for their retirement and insurance.  The $1200 bowyer has that worked in the price.  Good for them.  I do not know where the idea come from that I am against bowyer in any way.  As you can all see from the post.  There are different feelings on this subject from within our ranks.  I think that they deserve everything they can get for thier bows.  I am not one of the labor forces that make minimum wages and I do want the products they can produce.  This is not a cut to any bowyer.  You all have my respect.  I jst hope that they are able to stay in business for generations to come.  Being able to do what they do for a good living is the only thing that is going to bribg young bowyers into the picture.  If a young bowyers sees that they must have two jobs to be able to live selling $500 bows he will probably not stay in business long.  But if he can sell $1200 bows he will be the future that traditional archery needs.
capt eddie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©