3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Back from Australia  (Read 1275 times)

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Back from Australia
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2012, 02:36:00 AM »
OK, day 9.  Last day of the hunt.  We know that we are not going to hunt late into the day, and are going to pack up camp early, since I have an early morning flight out of Mcarthur River and Mick has booked a hotel room for the night at a roadhouse within a half hour of the airport.

Several small groups of buff and scrub bulls are sighted, but each time the wind changes and we get busted.  It seems that as soon as we see the buff it changes.  I am laughing about it at this point.  Mick wants me to bend over so he can kick me in the rear for it.  I still think that he doesn't believe that I am Irish, lol.  That is essentially all of the hunting for the trip.

We headed back to camp, finished packing, and headed for the roadhouse.  Now Mick and Andy are fine offroad drivers and have excellent vision, but most of the drive off of the ranch, I could not have told you that we were on the road.  There is no way that anyone could have done that in the dark, so I am glad that we left when we did.    We arrived at the roadhouse, which was called Heartbreak Hotel.  Indeed, anyone having to leave this area should be heartbroken.  We were able to get showers a good meal, and a good nights sleep before me catching my flight.  Nothing eventful there and I made it back to the states safely, just dog tired again.  I hope that I gave enough details so that you guys kinda felt like you were there a little.  I am sure that I have forgotten a ton of little things, like Mick and his ongoing battle with the crows, but I didn't keep a very good journal.  Just a few notes here and there.  I really feel fortunate to have had this experience.

Here are a couple of before and after pics of me at the OKC airport before leaving on the trip and after getting back.  I don't think the last one does justice to how tired I was.

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2012, 02:57:00 AM »
Damn good story, Pat.  Glad you had a great time too.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2012, 03:04:00 AM »
Great story-telling, Pat, along with lots of typing. It's not much fun walking 16 miles with an injured ankle, is it? You're way tougher than I am! Hunting with those changing winds is really difficult. You did well despite that. I'm sure that buff would have died with your chest-on shot, but the ethical thing to do is always to pay the insurance by taking the backup shot with the big gun so the animal does not get away to die undiscovered or to live and hurt someone later. I sure would not want to run into someone else's wounded buff when I'm hunting over there, so thanks from me for the follow-up shot. Great buff and boar!!!

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2012, 03:05:00 AM »
Wow! What a great experience.  Thanks for the ride!
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2012, 03:22:00 AM »
Agreed, Allan.  It was definitely the right thing to do. We didn't know for sure until the partial disection.  As far as toughness goes, I am not the one trying to finish bike races with multiple broken ribs.  Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2012, 03:32:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2012, 04:15:00 AM »
Awesome story Pat!  Congrats on a great hunt!     :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
Thanks for taking us along!!!

Aloha!
Ryan

Offline JohnnyWayne

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2012, 05:35:00 AM »
Awesome trip and story  :thumbsup:
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.
-The Way of Kings

>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2012, 06:58:00 AM »
Simply outstanding Pat!  You had me hanging on every word.  What a dream trip - thanks for taking us all along for the ride!!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2012, 07:38:00 AM »
Pat,

Great story, great pictures and story telling.
Congratulations on the good bull.   :clapper:

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2012, 07:47:00 AM »
What a great adventure! Australia is one place that I decided long ago that if I were to travel, I would want to see. Hunting is the icing on a very spicy cake!

What was the extent of your ankle injury? (Recovering from a minor break, here.)

You are a tough, all-out hunter! If I were to pick somebody who would milk all he could from a hunt, it wpuld be you.
Haha. MILK a bovine hunt!     :wavey:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2012, 07:56:00 AM »
Congratulations on a fine hunt and a great story!  Well done!  :thumbsup:

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2012, 08:16:00 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to share such a great adventure. So fine when a dream comes true.
You've got quite a wife.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2012, 09:00:00 AM »
Wow, truly awesome. Wish we could have pulled that oz trip off together. Congrats in attaining such a lofty goal in a hunters life, no easy feat.  This tale was an inspiration and I vow to get there when my boys are a little older and won't notice me gone for 2 weeks. Your story telling was superb and the amount of interaction that you had with game is astonishing. Way to go sir, fine hunt.

Online Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2012, 09:41:00 AM »
Fantastic!,and I mean fantastic. Thanks ever so much for sharing.You were never in any real danger as I had your back !LOL you made me feel I was right there with ya.
I always thoght my ideal hunt would be with Andy,but after hiking the way you fellas did,I'd have to tie a 100# log to his butt.LOL Thanks again.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2012, 09:42:00 AM »
Just had time to read this. Couldnt be happier for Pat. After those 50 miles we walked together in Texas, wondering how it would turn out! I  have to say it was well worth the trip and everything that went into it. Glad your home safe.
All three of your Ohio brothers agree the next dinner is on you!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2012, 09:59:00 AM »
Wonderful story.  It's made the weekend at my in-laws somewhat bearable...
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2012, 10:03:00 AM »
Very Cool.......
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2012, 10:27:00 AM »
Great Adventure Pat!!!!  You made your dream hunt happen!!!  :archer:
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Inder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2012, 11:40:00 AM »
Thats a nice story and awesome pics. Thanks for taking time out to share this wonderful experience.

-Inder

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©