3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Back from Australia  (Read 1270 times)

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Back from Australia
« Reply #80 on: June 25, 2012, 06:56:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing Pat! I am gonna try to get back to OK next spring for turkey and hogs with Cam. I promise I won't on such a tight time schedule this trip and we will get together. Great hunt!!!!! Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: June 25, 2012, 10:13:00 PM »
Thanks again, everyone.  Nice seeing you again, Mr. Jones. I will look forward to hunting with you when you get to OK, Mike. Dave and RC, I wouldn't have to work so hard if I was a little better at it, lol.

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: June 25, 2012, 11:48:00 PM »
Thanks for the story and pictures !!!

Very well done on all counts, congratulations.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: June 26, 2012, 12:44:00 AM »
Great story Pat. thanks for sharing your trip with us.   :thumbsup:

Offline xma

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: June 26, 2012, 03:52:00 AM »
Wow, great read Pat, thoroughly enjoyed it! Yeah, that flight is a BEAR for me too, and I'm 3000+ miles closer than you!

Offline Clinglish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: June 26, 2012, 04:43:00 AM »
Awesome story, really glad you enjoyed your time in Australia, thanks for the pics and congrats on your success.
Northern Territory is on my list of places to hunt and I have heard nothing but glowing reports about Mick Baker and his guiding.
Thanks again
Clint
I love Bowhunting!!!!
Hunting for Bows that is   ;)

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: June 26, 2012, 08:13:00 AM »
A plethora of held-fast memories from one adventure is truly golden.

Congrats and thoroughly enjoyed being included in sharing in the bounty of the all-embracing vast treasures of gold.

Much thanks!!!
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: June 26, 2012, 10:17:00 AM »
Originally posted by Friend:
A plethora of held-fast memories from one adventure is truly golden.

Congrats and thoroughly enjoyed being included in sharing in the bounty of the all-embracing vast treasures of gold.

Much thanks!!!
?

Thanks, I guess.  That was too hard to follow for this simple guy  :)

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: June 26, 2012, 01:09:00 PM »
Absolutely the stuff from which a hunter's dreams are made. Thanks for sharing. It was a great experience to share.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: June 26, 2012, 03:00:00 PM »
Thanks, Don.  Your quiver worked very well on my setup.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: June 26, 2012, 03:31:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :notworthy:    Well done!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: June 26, 2012, 05:38:00 PM »
Congratulations on the ultimate trophy with a longbow Pat!!!  See ya soon.
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: June 30, 2012, 07:08:00 PM »
Yeah, Barry! Looking forward to chasing some hogs with you in September.  

One thing that I forgot to mention about this hunt.  Before I went on the hunt, I asked Allan what binocs he used and he strongly recommended a pair of 10x.
I only have a pair of 6x32 and a pair 8x42 and I took the 6x to save carrying weight and space. Big mistake. Both Andy and Mick were using 10x42 binocs, and the difference in size was very small compared to the greatly improved detail when glassing across those big floodplains.  I hope that nobody makes the same mistake that I did.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: June 30, 2012, 11:03:00 PM »
Either 8x or 10x would work well. I recommended 10x to Pat because that is what Andy and Mick were using. A REALLY top-notch pair of 8x binoculars works as well as a good, average pair of 10x binoculars in observing animals over some of those long distances. But unless you have the quality of a Leica, Swarovski, Zeiss or other premium binocular, the 10x will work better at distance. I like 8x and took my 8x30 Swarovskis last year. I will either take those again or switch to my 8x32 Leicas or my 10x32 Vortex Vipers. The Vipers have the same relatively small objective lenses but the higher magnification. The only problem with the Vortex (besides being slightly lower quality than the other two binoculars) is that with 10 power and a 32mm objective, they require more frequent adjustment of the focus. Light gathering isn't as good either, but the buffalo hunting doesn't require it. I have several outstanding pairs of 10x42 binoculars, but with all the walking I do in OZ, I would rather not deal with the extra weight and bulk since I have such nice 32mm binoculars available to me. There is a big difference between 6x and 8x when it comes to viewing. I relegate 6x binoculars to forested areas where distances are short, and they are nearly perfect for those conditions. Pat would have been much better with his 8x42 binoculars, and a pair of 10x42 is nearly perfect if weight and bulk are not a problem for you.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: July 19, 2012, 12:48:00 PM »
Well, Andy got done with his buffalo camp and sent me a couple of pictures that he took during our hunt. The first group is a pic of me stalking up on the hog that I shot, followed up by the shot of the hog that I previously posted.  Then next group of pics are from the long stalk on a group of cows that I mentioned across the plain when the noisy grasses eventually got me busted.  Looking at the pics, maybe I should have taken the opportunity that I had at that cow, but at the time it I was more interested in a larger bull.  If I had a 10-15 yard shot I definitely would have taken it.

Stalking

Busted

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: July 19, 2012, 04:40:00 PM »
What beautiful country to look at Pat.  I'm glad you made good.

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: July 19, 2012, 07:41:00 PM »
Wow! Great hunt great story!

Offline JDunlap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: July 19, 2012, 09:44:00 PM »
Thanks for the show and tell! Great to see an okie do good!
Sandy Biles Scorpion TD RC; 54@28
RER XR Static Tip RC; 50@28
JC Optimus riser/Uukha EX1EVO2 [email protected]

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: July 20, 2012, 06:36:00 AM »
Nice write up Pat I enjoyed that.

So we pick Pat up from the "middle of Know where" Mine Airstrip and by the time we get to camp I just remember thinking "Geezz this Guy's mind thinks just like mine!"  Scary "just like mine" and I Like him already, strait up calls a Spade a Spade.
I was going to have the 9 days off but Mick Asked if I would take Pat out for 4 days... "Um Yes you bet!"
Pat told me he was prepared to go as hard and as far as it would take...Thats what I like to hear...So we did what we needed to, to get into Buffalo, earnt him the "toughest" Client of the year so far!
The only problem was that he is the most Unlucky so called Irishman I know...    :readit:    
We found the Buff alright .. plenty of them... But Mother Nature worked us over... Properly! time and time again.  Never the less we had a great hunt, And i look forward to catching up again buddy.

All the Trad Guys this year really put in the right preparation for a Big game hunt. All the Set-ups were well thought out and put together.
Pats Morrison is the heaviest Trad Set-up we have ever had. So for that alone I tip my Hat to Craig Moy, Brian Lum, Patrick Kelly, Allan DeVore And Doug Burns.

Here's Pat Hooked Up...Remember the Cast that got you that Fish.....Had some Character

Whats that you got there

Pleasure to have hunted with you Pat and I look forward to putting some miles on the boots again one day.
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: July 20, 2012, 09:06:00 AM »
:campfire:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©