3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: robertson vs widow  (Read 2339 times)

Offline jbuck9

• Trad Bowhunter
robertson vs widow
« on: January 16, 2007, 04:25:00 PM »
For those of you who had shot both, what is your opinion between the two, I know that both are excellant bows and its a matter of too each his own Iam just curious on everyones opionion, smoothness, speed , grip, etc. say the psa and the newer short riser falcon,  or pma too the longriser falcon, thanks for your opinions.

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: robertson vs widow
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 05:43:00 PM »
A Robertson will be lighter in the hand and in my experience quieter.  There is no difference in speed that is worth mentioning and as you said both are excellent bows.  I am a diehard Stykbow fan but I have shot many different Blackwidows and have never experienced anything that would cause me to reconsider shooting a Stykbow.  I am sure that by the time this thread is done you will here the exact same thing from the Widow fans.    :thumbsup:  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 05:48:00 PM »
In the past couple of months I have had both a Widow PMA and a Robertson long riser, both of which I picked up here on TradGang classifieds.  I think they are the two best shooting bows I have owned, and I have gone through quite a pile of them!
I know it's a personal thing, and results may vary, but those are two great shooting bows.  I ended up selling the Widow, more because I personally like the look and feel of the Robertson better.
Hey Joseph, how you doing?
I agree with your point about the Robertson being quieter too!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 06:08:00 PM »
Robertson for me also. Should get my new one next month. Sold my go to from last year, also a Robertson, but got to have another, they are that good.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 06:23:00 PM »
I have both and both shoot very well for me. But after owning several widows I just can't seem to quiet them down. And I have tried everything I could find here and on the Widow Wall.Personally I think it has something to do with the rear limb design?...But I do like the way they look and the heavy feel in my hand.
The Robertson Falcon I traded for is the best recurve I have ever owned. And I've owned just about everything at one time or another. It's not got the weight that I like like the Widder, But I put on 2 sets of rubber leggs and adjusted the brace.... It is as quiet as any longbow I've ever had......It really suprizes me how much I liked it.
 Another really good bow is Rivers Edge Recurve... Top Knotch and awhole lot cheaper to boot.
Fatherhood is the greatest adventure a man can ever take.

Offline insttech1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 06:32:00 PM »
I am not a widow guy...sorry...

However, I had a Robertson, with elm limbs, and a cocobolo riser.  I would definitely order a Robertson with 'boo-cores limbs and the longer riser, preferrably in something really heavy like cocobolo...

Not a speed demon, perhaps, but it will equal most top-end bows, with forgiveness that will be better than most of them.  And the grip is absolutely top-notch for fit and repeatability...

Mine liked beaver balls to quiet it down.

Just my two cents...
Marc
"When you catch Hell--DROP IT!!  When you're going thru Hell--DON'T STOP!!"

Offline BowsnLabs @ work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 06:34:00 PM »
Another vote for the Robertson, although the BW is a very smooth bow too.  The only Widow I have shot was a 62" PMA, and my Robertson Vision Falcon is the 60" long riser version.  Both bows are as smooth drawing as you could ask for.  
However, the Robertson grip is the best I've ever felt, the bow is lighter, quieter and I've never seen an ugly one.  They are the best recurves I have ever owned...period.  My next recurve purchase will be another Robertson.

Offline The Ursus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 06:42:00 PM »
Robertson are better look'n and seem to have that "soul" thing go'n for them.  Widow's make me think of machines and mass production for some reason even though they advertise custom.  I've got a Purist LB which is my go-to bow but now I have a Peregrine from the TG classifieds on the way.  Robertson baby!!!! IMHO of course...

Offline Sneakypete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 06:44:00 PM »
Perhaps this in unfair, or invalid, as it was several years ago. AT that time I scraped and saved for months to buy my first custom bow, which was a plain-Jane Robertson longbow, $350. It almost ruined me on longbows, as I could never shoot it well. The entire experience, from purchase process (not bad, just not special) to shooting and hunting, just didn't "feel right" to me. So I sold it a few months later. I've gone through half a dozen excellent custom bows since then, recurves and longbows, and currently own a BW PLII, which is as fine a bow as I've ever shot, and has "felt good" throughout the whole experience (except that it couldn't locate a moose for me in AK last fall. Which doesn't mean I won't someday sell it so I can enjoy the pleasure of buying another new bow, a luxury which I can afford (???) only one at a time. I've also made nearly 3 dozen all-wood longbows and all of them shoot well. Consider this: BW offers a free "test drive" of any of its bows. Can you pre-shoot a Stykbow in such a relaxed way? I'll never again buy a bow I can't shoot first, at ease over several days. That's a BIG plus for BW. On the other hand, my BW, as other commentors have noted, has a distinct hum when I shoot it, and no silencer I've tried stops it. But then, I hunt mostly elk and they don't string-jump at 15 yards! Also, I like supporting Ma and Paw bowyers, which to me is at the heart of traditional archery and bowhunting ... but then, while Dick is closer to Ma/Paw than BW, neither really qualifies. Complicated, ain't it? Good luck. My bottom-line advice is "build your own!"

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 07:03:00 PM »
I have shot owned and shot both and both are exceptional bows.  At this moment, I do not own a Robertson, but own several Widows.  The main reason why I have stayed with the Widows is that the smoothness of draw in the PSA series is exceptional...and the smoothness was not quite the same in the specific Robertsons I owned.  That said, I think the Robertsons build a dandy bow...and since they do provide a test-drive program, there is no reason not to try one and see if it fits.  Their workmanship and quality are top notch.

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 07:07:00 PM »
Robertson, hands down. I am talking recurves here as I have not owned a Robertson LB. I have owned several of both in the recurves though. THye are both great bows, but the Robertson points better for me and It has the best grip for me on the market, next to my Kwyk styks. Shawn
Shawn

Online Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 07:21:00 PM »
The only widow I've shot is a Lag which I still own and its been reliable. Robertson for some unknown reason has a voodoo or something on me, I have three.

Ursus I have a Peregrine and absolutly love it, it never gives me a problem, enjoy yours.  

BUT, My Falcon has always been too loud for me?  Are you Falcon shooters with quiet bows using carbons,wood, aluminum all the above? I don't want to re-route this thread but I need advise.

Rusty
"Mystic rhythms,Under northern lights or the African sun,Primitive things stir the hearts of everyone"

Offline hogdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2007, 07:24:00 PM »
I currently have both Robertson and BW recurves, I really prefer the Robertson, they do provide a "test drive" program that I beleive is better than BW in that if you like the bow you can keep it, you can't with BW. I have purchased bows from both and while Robertsons were good to deal with I think BW has the finest customer service anywhere. Both are great bows and I would'nt hesitate with either but for a easy to shoot, quiet hunting bow, a Robertson for sure.
PBS regular Member,
but most importantly father to my two girls !
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government _Thomas Jefferson

Offline juneaulongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Fannin Texas
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2007, 07:35:00 PM »
I have a Robertson Purist and a Falcon on the way.  Great bows, I would like to try a widow someday just for kicks.  

I've not visited the Robertsons operation, how do the Robertsons not qualify as a "ma & Pa" shop?  They are just family run right?  Whereas BW is larger, has more employees and machines...right?

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2007, 09:07:00 PM »
As you ackowledge there is a lot of "personal" that goes into deciding between two top choices like this.  My personal was decided by the grip and the riser and I much prefer the Robertson.  I have not shot BW extensively but I can agree with the comments about Robertson grip, quietness, and smoothness.  I primarily shoot a Gozhawk, precursor to the Short Riser, and have another Short Riser in the making.

Robertson is mostly a family operation and BW is a little larger, but thw BW gang is very much "family" and provide great customer care.
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2007, 09:30:00 PM »
With the recurves, it is a toss up for me. Both are fine bows and both companies are a pleasure to deal with. As far as longbows go, I prefer the PL series Widows and that has nothing to do with performance....just like the way the Widow feels in my hand. With recurves the only edge I see would be that with the Stykbow, you can get any wood combination you can imagine and they are a work of art. Both are great shooters! Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline BowsnLabs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2007, 10:56:00 PM »
Regarding the "try before you buy" programs (since someone asked)...Robertson will only charge you for the shipping and insurance to demo one of their bows, and then give you the option of purchasing THAT bow or sending it back.  Black Widow charges you for the full price of a new bow before sending out a demo bow that must be returned.

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2007, 11:16:00 PM »
My hunting partner owns a handful of Widows, so I've gotten to shoot a number of different models. They're all shooters, that's for sure, and you can't go wrong with one. That said, give me a Robertson recurve over a Widow. The one I've got looks better than any Widow(imo) and the grip on the Vision Falcon is amazing. It's the first thing that everyone comments on. I could have sold this one many times already, but I don't know what bow I'd take to replace it. I love longbows, but the Falcon is that good!

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2007, 12:08:00 AM »
For those that know me, will tell you that I'm a Widow man through & through. For me, and my way of thinking in this game of Traditional archery/bowhunting, you just have to "Click" with a type of bow or style.

I love the looks and feel of Mr Robertson's work, he sure makes a fine bow with some purdy woods in 'em, but a BlackWidow PSA just "Clicked" with me and the way I shoot/hunt.

To sum it up, go with what feels right.Bit like people.....

Hope this helps,

al
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Todd Brickel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2007, 12:14:00 PM »
I've owned both, but have only kept my Robertson's and ordered another one just yesterday from Dick.  Nothing to add that others haven't already stated in way of compliments for Robertson's other than to say I agree wholeheartedly!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©