3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Which one Bigshot,Bigshot Crossover or Bateman Cordovan Tip Lined  (Read 416 times)

Offline LYONEL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Okay time for a new glove, Which one Bigshot,Bigshot Crossover or Bateman Cordovan Tip Lined. Please keep in mind living in Australia I have not seen any of them. What are the pros & cons of each of them?

Re: Which one Bigshot,Bigshot Crossover or Bateman Cordovan Tip Lined
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 09:35:00 PM »
I've never used a Bateman but have the American Leathers Big shot and their Crossover.  Both are dandy, the Elk Bigshot breaking in to a soft and keen feel of the string. The crossover a tad more finger protection with Cordovan leather on the outside of the finger stalls (my fav).

I have currently on order a customized Crossover with heavier leather and thicker inserts for a potentially cleaner release....we'll see.

John will make you a excellent glove!

Offline yukon chuck

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 10:05:00 AM »
I am a fan of the Bigshot in both Bison and Elk skin. Very durable in my opinion. Decent string feel without being too thin. The Crossover is more like an old Hill style set of fingers, in that with the cordovan and inserts, there is virtually no string feel and no give. Some really like that, but I do not. I like to feel the string a bit, but not so much that multiple shots when practicing begin to hurt. American Leathers is great product, made and sold by really nice folks who practice business honorably. Just my two cents however.
>>>--TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Longbow Association
Yucketsville Buffalo & Cricket Association

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle". -Plato

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 11:44:00 AM »
Originally posted by yukon chuck:
I am a fan of the Bigshot in both Bison and Elk skin. Very durable in my opinion. Decent string feel without being too thin. The Crossover is more like an old Hill style set of fingers, in that with the cordovan and inserts, there is virtually no string feel and no give. Some really like that, but I do not. I like to feel the string a bit, but not so much that multiple shots when practicing begin to hurt. American Leathers is great product, made and sold by really nice folks who practice business honorably. Just my two cents however.
Yukon,
The Crossover is not a heavy glove at all....just one step from the Big Shot in "feel" of the string.  It is by far the best glove I have shot and just gets better as it breaks in.

I have and use a Hill glove that you mention as well.  It is not made of Cordovan leather but, as you noted, nearly eliminates the feel of the string when new, especially with moderate weight bows.

The Elk Big Shot broke-in to a hook that was too deep (for me) and consequently my release suffered.  The crossover gives a great feel of the string but allows for a much more crisp release, IMO - YMMV

You are correct sir...the Turners will bend over backwards to help you enjoy your shooting experience.

The modified Crossover they are making for me now will potentially be about half as stiff/thick feeling as the Hill when it softens up a bit....we'll see how that pans out.

Offline Shortlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 09:19:00 PM »
I like Bateman gloves a lot. Very durable and a slick release. Fine chraftmanship. Take a little breaking in but will last a good long time. I'm sure the American Leather gloves are great. They have a strong following. I like the finger protection and durability as well as the style of the Batemans. Might be good to get one of each and sell the one you like less to a friend.
Ask me about the Professional Bowhunters Society.
Bobby Parrott

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 09:24:00 PM »
The elk bigshot is awesome!
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline ArkyBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 09:45:00 PM »
Big shot elk for me also. Great finger protection and durable, I'm going on 3 years with it and no issues at all.

BOB
"There are some that can live without wild things, and some that cannot."  -  Aldo Leopold

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 11:09:00 PM »
The bate man will allow you to shoot 80# and not feel the string "dig in." Also it has a very sharp release, make sure you are pointing your arrow in a safe direction as the release happens fast!
 If you experience sore ring finger, the bateman will eliminate that.

Offline Mongo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 04:46:00 AM »
Elk Bigshot for me too.
If God didn't want man to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 08:56:00 AM »
The Bigshots are excellent gloves, well made and dependable, but, if you use a semi-deep hook draw, the stalls are to short. Depending on your shooting style, try one before you buy.
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Offline LYONEL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 03:26:00 PM »
I wish I could try one first but unfortunately no one in Australia stocks them. I may end up buying a few to try & sell the ones I don't prefer.

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 07:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by swampthing:
The bate man will allow you to shoot 80# and not feel the string "dig in." Also it has a very sharp release, make sure you are pointing your arrow in a safe direction as the release happens fast!
 If you experience sore ring finger, the bateman will eliminate that.  
Swamp,

This is exactly what I did to my Hill glove...much more functional/comfortable now but the Crossover wins hands down for all-around shootability.

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 08:03:00 PM »
I designed the Crossover because I love the stiff feeling of the insert type Hill gloves.  Sometimes due to the double layer of leather on a Hill style glove the finger doesn't bend much.  Also, that style of glove tends to slip off the fingers unless the stalls are kept tight by resewing periodically.  

However, with the Crossover, those problems are gone...the glove stays on your hand in the exact position, the glove is a little stiffer due to the insert, but it's not as stiff as a Hill style or Bateman so you have control over the shot and it doesn't get away from you and the nylon in the gloves grips the fingers and you won't have to tap the glove on the fingers every shot or two.

Offline LYONEL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 12:34:00 AM »
Sunset hill, I think you might have talked me into a crossover now to work out the size  & what sort of wait would I be looking at?

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 12:48:00 AM »
Send a tracing of your hand to John at American Leathers and he will take good care of you.  Tell him I sent you.  He is a tg sponser

Offline LYONEL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2012, 01:27:00 AM »
Thanks for that

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 08:22:00 AM »
I like to feel my string a little bit. The BigShot didn't allow me to do that. It is a very heavy thick and stiff glove. I then got a Bearpaw and really like the quality and the cordovan tips are fantastic.

http://www.kustomkingarchery.com/Speed-Glove/productinfo/4732/
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2012, 11:27:00 PM »
Man give me a break the bateman cordovan with inserts is the best but you have to cut 1/4 inch off the tips and break it in l tried the big shot and it wasnt for me.why would someone want all that material on thetips of your fingers and the webbing ie too short for a deep hook.it must work for some but bateman has my vote.
Arrow_Flynn

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2012, 11:44:00 PM »
I have a Big Shot Buffalo and just shot the new Crossover today. Thanks Nate for a great design. For midweight bows it's a winner.
I cut the webbing out of the front of my Big Shot and sewed around the tips and I may do that with the Crossover. I can get a better feel of my tooth with the Crossover so it may not be necessary. I'm just going to give it some time.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2012, 12:12:00 AM »
The crossover does not let your fingers hook as much so you feel your anchor better

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©