3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow tuning question  (Read 133 times)

Offline bansheewins

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow tuning question
« on: June 23, 2012, 05:01:00 PM »
I know I have been told this but seem to forget and can't find.  My arrows at 20 yards are hitting the target with the field tip left and the fetching to the right.  You can see them fish tail in the air and not straightening out by the time they hit at 20 yards.  Any help greatly appreciated.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach that man to fish and he will eat for a life time"

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow tuning question
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 05:09:00 PM »
Could be any number of things.  I always start with the release (form) and go from there.  We need lots more information though.  Bow draw weight, brace height, center cut window or not?  Arrow length, arrow spine rating, point weight?  Your actual draw length.

Fishtailing can be caused by your release and/or dynamic spine of the arrow.  Most probably it is hitting the riser of the bow when it is shot but "why"  depends on more info.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Mongo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 05:20:00 PM »
What type of/size fletching are you using?
If God didn't want man to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.

Offline bansheewins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 05:25:00 PM »
Sorry a little more information for you.  I am shooting a 62" longbow at 52# @28 and I have a 29.5" draw.  The arrows I am shooting are Gold Tip 5575 full length with a 200gr field tip. It is not full center cut either.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach that man to fish and he will eat for a life time"

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 05:37:00 PM »
OK,  Arrows sound as though they are in the ball park.  Any chance you could post a video of your shot?  As I said, that is usually my starting point.  I find that about 90% of the "tuning" problems folks have is form not equipment.

Just wondering, to check my thoughts about form.  Do you have some lighter spined arrows to try out?  Like the next range down 35-55? or some 2117 aluminums?  I'm just trying to trouble shoot for you a little.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 05:59:00 PM »
I think your arrows may be slightly stiff if you are right handed.I would try 225 and 250 gr points and see if anything changes.2117's are the same spine as 5575's.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©