3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow Tuning Help Please (Gold Tip 7595s)  (Read 326 times)

Offline Schafer

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow Tuning Help Please (Gold Tip 7595s)
« on: June 23, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »
I have a 62" 66 @29 Schafer Silvertip recurve (I have a 29 inch draw) and to go along with it I have some 7595 gold tip traditionals.

I seem to have them borderline right now. What I mean by this is that sometimes they fly good and others they fly horrible.

I know some of this is because of my form, however I have been able to get arrows flying like darts in the past so it shouldn't be the overall difference.

Currently I have them full length and with 100 grain brass insert which I would like to use. So I really hope that I can change the point weight and or arrow length to get them flying good. The reason why I have left them full length is because I was really hoping to get at least a 660 grain arrow out of them.

Currently I have a 200 grain point and I have gone all the way down to 125.

Any help is appreciated, Thanks Schafer
“There’s more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” - Fred Bear

53@29 Randy Morin Banshee
66@29 Schafer Silvertip

Offline darin putman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow Tuning Help Please (Gold Tip 7595s)
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 09:58:00 PM »
schafer I am by no means an expert have shot carbon aluminum and woodies.I have managed to successfully bareshaft all three at one time or another.I love to tinker, listen to folks on here debate whats best and try it for myself. On all three shaft types the one factor I am forced to consider most is point weight, by that I mean broad head weight I have to plan that with whats available or in inventory, 4 kids and a wife require it and in the end I'm trying to deliver one broadhead with deadly results.
Osage selfbow and Surewood shafts

Offline Lashbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 12:12:00 AM »
Schafer,
Also not an expert. I have a 64" 62# at 31" R/D LB
Shot 55/75 with 300 and standard insert and seemed to bare shaft Good out to 20 yds. After more tinkering and paper testing i saw that they were a little weak. built out shelf some to see what they would do, and I would have to move it out too far to be comfortable to shoot. I have to keep arrows full length with a BH so cutting it short was not an option. I have ordered some 7595 camo, which are not as stiff as the traditional woodgrain.
 I have not shot them yet, but I am hope full they provide some more consistency. The 55/75 woodgrains seemed to fly OK for me if i was really focused on my release. If i got a little tired they seemed to fly off a little. I hope a proper arrow will allow me a little more room for error.
I have heard, but not tested, arrow length will affect spine more than point weight.
I added some rope inside mine and got weight close to 720 grains. They still fly fast out to 20 yards.
Let us know what you settle on and how it goes. Good luck
Lash

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 09:37:00 AM »
I haven't shot weights close to yours since starting to use carbons so I can't help you much with point weight.I can tell you that if you want more overall arrow weight,cutting the shafts down will end up adding a few grains due to increased point weight.

Cutting 1" of shaft length may lose you 10 grs of shaft weight but you will probably have to increase point weight app. 25 grs,so cutting 1" will actually increase arrow weight about 15 grs.

Also,just shortening the shaft will raise FOC slightly and the additional point weight will increase it a little more.

Offline JLeMieux

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 10:58:00 AM »
Schafer, my initial reaction is that you on the weak side. I have a 60 @ 29 recurve that I'm working on arrows for. I borrowed some full length Easton 340s from a friend that seem to be shooting well with 175 grains total up front. This is just a ball park because I've only shot fletched shafts as of now. With your bow shooting @ 66# with 300 grains up front, it seems like it would be way too weak compared to my setup. I don't know much about the extreme foc stuff, so I'm not sure on the ins and outs of all that. I know I have form issues and therefore I don't try the bare shaft tuning method. I usually just stick to comparing fletched and bare shaft groupings and going from there.

Take that with a grain of salt, because I'm only a couple years into this journey and have much to learn.
Acadian Woods TD Recurve 58 @ 28
Acadian Woods Recurve 55 @ 28
Acadian Woods Tree Stick 60 @ 27
Acadian Woods Tree Stick 47 @ 28
Martin Hunter Recurve 50 @ 28

Offline Schafer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 05:20:00 PM »
Thanks for the help guys. I'm certainly with you JLeMieux about the arrows being on the week side. Stu's calculator shows that there way to weak, but I've never had good luck with it so I usually just end up going with the harder way of figuring it out.

Ill have to do some more testing with the lower weight tips again. Then I'll start cutting away at them.

If I figure it out I'll post it,  

Thanks Schafer
“There’s more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” - Fred Bear

66@29 Schafer Silvertip

Offline Schafer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 11:01:00 AM »
I have them flying a bit more consistent sense I switched over to the tab. Im still at the same overall arrow set up, but now Im not worrying about my form being an issue.

Any tips or thoughts are greatly appreciated, Schafer

66@29 Schafer Silvertip

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 01:26:00 PM »
Schafer, what tuning method do you use?
shoot straight shoot often

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 01:49:00 PM »
What is your nock point height? 3under or split? Do you have a second nock point under? How is the arrow nock fit.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Schafer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 01:57:00 PM »
Currenly the arrows are all ready fletched.
So I can't bare shaft tune. I have tried paper tuning with very little success.

My nocking point is 3/4 and I shoot split. I also have a second nocking point under the nock. And the nock fit seems to be pretty good. It clips on but I can tap the string and it pops off.

If you need any more info just let me know.

Thanks Schafer

66@29 Schafer Silvertip

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 03:35:00 PM »
75/95 would seem to be stiff going by the numbers, but I draw 29 and shoot 31" AD Trads with 100 gr brass inserts and 300 grain points out of all of my bows,62-55# and they fly like darts. I have shot the 75/95 GTs in the past and they shot good out of my 64# Brack with 100 gr brass inserts and 300 gr points. You may be tourqing the string sometimes, that will cause erratic flight.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Dan Adair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 03:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by Schafer:
So I can't bare shaft tune.
There's a trick to it...  Wrap up the feathers on one with saran wrap.  The extra 5-6 grains of tailweight really won't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Offline Schafer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 03:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dan Adair:

Originally posted by Schafer:
So I can't bare shaft tune.
There's a trick to it...  Wrap up the feathers on one with saran wrap.  The extra 5-6 grains of tailweight really won't matter in the grand scheme of things. [/b]
That is a good idea. I would have never thought about doing that.

Thanks Schafer

66@29 Schafer Silvertip

Offline Dan Adair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 03:46:00 PM »
My brother has a set of 77# limbs on his Schafer.  He could never get 7595s to shoot for him.  He went back to 2219's

My 60# limbs LOVE 5575's with 200 grains of point weight, and my 52# limbs won't shoot anything GT makes to my satisfaction.

So my amatuer opinion of GT arrows is that they are fairly "bitchy"

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2012, 10:45:00 AM »
Never had problems tuning goldtips. Shoot 75/95 full length 400 total head weight with mid 50#@29.75"

I would sacrifice at least one arrow and strip off the fletching and keep it that way to periodically check tune if things go out of wack.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Lashbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2012, 08:17:00 AM »
Keep in mind. when talking about 75/95. The woodgrain are spined 300 but the camo are 340. Just to make sure we are talking apples to apples, in case we assume one but it is the other.
The saran wrap for me still leaves a little bit of a   tail end as I cannot get it completely smooth, which does create some drag.
I have a few arrows that have only the last 1/2 of the fletch left, and they balance about far better than a bare shaft. I am not sure it give a true bare shaft result.

Offline wolfhunter4life

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2012, 01:45:00 PM »
Hey Schafer, I just ordered a set of GT Traditional 55/75s. Had woodies and the frustration was killing me. I made the ultimate sin and had my arrows cut at 29" before I shot them. I ordered these trad arrows on **** already fletched. I installed a 100 grain brass insert and been shooting 125 and 145 grain heads. My draw is 28". I prefer a shorter arrow for mobility in a tree. I think your arrows may be a touch long. I'd chop em down a couple inches and install a 100 grain insert. Mess around with point weight. A 550 grain arrow is just as deadly as a 650 grainer. I'd sacrifice a little weight for good arrow flight. JMHO.
Northern Mist to the core. Archery is meant to be simple. A stick, a string, a shaft and meat on the table.

MOLON LABE.

Online DWT

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2012, 07:07:00 PM »
Im shooting almost the same setup, 70lbs@30 draw 60`` Shafer. I have my 75/95s cut to 32`` and a 200grn point.Im also shooting a bear weather rest and I get excellent flight. I say you are way under spined at full legnth and that much weight up front.

Offline Schafer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2012, 07:18:00 PM »
Thanks for the help. After playing around some more with the tip weight I will  say with out a doubt that they are under spined currently. I'm going to be cutting about 1/2 of an inch off at a time until I find the right length.

Schafer

66@29 Schafer Silvertip

Offline wolfhunter4life

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2012, 10:27:00 PM »
I also, lightly sanded my nocks today. I don't want the hard "snap" onto the string. They shoot very well now out of my 60 pound longbow. Not perfect out of my 58 pound flemish bow. I'll bump up the point weight and she'll shoot good. My 60 pound fast flight bow shoots them like a house of fire with a 29" GT Trad and 100 grain insert with 145 grain tips.
Northern Mist to the core. Archery is meant to be simple. A stick, a string, a shaft and meat on the table.

MOLON LABE.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©