3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Could you suggest a bow?  (Read 366 times)

Offline turkulese

• Trad Bowhunter
Could you suggest a bow?
« on: June 23, 2012, 10:22:00 PM »
As a newbie to this sport... I was wondering if you guys could give me some suggestions on what to start with. Currently I shoot a 75 lb. compound.

What weight should I start out with? Any particular brands? I definitely want a recurve.

I know I just need to pick up some and try several different bows, but I need a place to start.

Thanks in advance for any help - Ray

Offline cody94

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Could you suggest a bow?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 10:25:00 PM »
samick recurve from twig archery. i would go for something around 50 lbs. they are good bows for the money. and good to start out with.
OH BOY IS THIS GREAT!

Offline Shortlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 10:29:00 PM »
There is a beautiful bear tigercat in the classifieds. Would be a great bow. Might be a lil heavy but a possibility if you have been shooting 75 in a wheel bow. What's your draw length?
Ask me about the Professional Bowhunters Society.
Bobby Parrott

Online jrstegner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 10:34:00 PM »
A Samick Sage can be had for about $135 and limbs are cheap, so you can move up in weight. I would start at 45#.

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 10:35:00 PM »
Check the classifed adds good place to start a samik is good and you can get more limbs easily to move up in weight when you are ready and I would start in low 40's till you get used to it and have fun its a great trip down this road

Offline Hit-or-Miss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 10:37:00 PM »
Jrstegner provided a VERY sound suggestion, both in a quality built, low cost bow and an effective and deadly, but user friendly weight (45#).

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 11:10:00 PM »
Samick would be a good starter.  I'd recommend #40 or #45.  Soon, you'll be contemplating selling your wheely bow....LOL.
Ken
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 11:25:00 PM »
PM'ed
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 11:50:00 PM »
Ray- good to see you hear.  I am home now.  Lets talk soon.  I can help you out.  Even lend you one to try.

Dan
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 12:27:00 AM »
I shot an 80# compound when I switched to trad.
I could pull that 80# without trouble after sitting in a 10˚F stand for hours.

I tried a 55# recurve first...too much.
Then a 50#...still to much.
After that I tried a 45# recurve..finally it felt right.

Now I've tried a few 45# bows and right now I'm the happiest with a 45# 62" montana bows (Toelke) whip...actually a plenty coups archery whip.

I was really surprised how far I had to drop in weight from my compound to find a comfortable draw weight for a trad bow.

There's a BIG difference between pulling back 80# and having that let-off letting you hold 15# while you settle in for a shot and pulling back a trad bow and settling in at 45+# to take a shot.

45# is more than enough bow for north american game. You can search here for the proof.

Don't get trapped into the machoness of pulling a heavier bow just to end up having an uncomfortable set up.

You can always step up to a higher poundage bow whenever you want.

I've only been at this about 5 years now, but I don't feel any need to go up from my 45# at this point.

Take a look at the classifieds on this site.
There are many very good bows at great prices to be had.

You can pick up and learn to shoot almost any bow you can pull back comfortably, BUT it'll most likely take trying out/buying/trading a few bows to really find out what you like the most.

Good luck.
Enjoy the journey.

and WELCOME!
   :campfire:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline limbshaker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 01:45:00 AM »
I'd look into finding you a used Martin X-200 or any of their models. They are great bows, and for some reason go for cheap on the used market. I like em because they seem to have a grip that's very versatile, and not super high or really low. Look for one about 45# or so. I'd rather have a used Martin over a new Samick Sage, for around the same money, but thats just my opinion      ;)     . Don't go broke buying your first either way, because if you stick with trad, you WILL want another bow. No matter what you start with     :p     . But you just may come back to it later! Focus on getting something that fits, then try and wear it out!      :archer2:
"Leaves are fallin all around..time I was on my way." -Led Zeppelin

Offline Mike Taylor2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 09:14:00 AM »
If you can sand and spray a can of finish think about getting a bow blank from 7 Lakes.  They are a sponser here.  You can get a very lightweight blank now and when you're ready, cut the tips an inch.  You'll gain 5-8 lbs every time you take off 2".

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 09:40:00 AM »
I am not sure I would go the route of buying something that may give you the wrong impression as to the quality of trad equipment and its accuracy.  Some of the ones mentioned may be good, however my experience is you get what you pay for.

I think I would find a couple of bowyers that you may be interested in and have them send you some of their bows to try at different weights and lengths.

Offline Webster2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 09:42:00 AM »
All good advice on here.

I went from a 75# @ 31" round wheeler to a 50#  recurve 30 years ago, and couldn't habdle it.

Wasted a lot of time, building up my strength, rather than improviong my form and having fun.

Don't worry, you can alwasys work your strength up.

I am now 69 and can draw and hold 73# at 31".
Caribow Tuktu 59# @ 28"

Damon Howatt Hunter 72# @ 31"

Humiliator 85# @ 28"

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 04:44:00 PM »
Zradix's story is interesting.  

I started as a scrawny toothpick of a kid with a 45# Bear Grizzley back when.  Got talked into a 55# compound with 50% let off in about 1980.  Went back to a 55# Damon Martin Hunter in 1996 without any problem.

Match my story to Zradix's story and you may want to buy an inexpensive take-down bow with inexpensive limbs.  So, the Samick Sage will cost you $ 130, and an extra set of limbs will cost you $ 60 if you want heavier or ligher.  

However, if I were to start over, I'd probably buy a Pinnacle II riser, with ILF limbs.  That starts at about $ 450 and extra limbs at about $ 125.  The reason for ILF limbs is that I can buy limbs from anyone as long as they are also ILF.

But, then, it depends also on what you can afford.

BTW, I'm now shooting a 66", on piece, 48# custom Blacktail recurve which I much enjoy.  But, I'll have to spend for a differnt draw weight because I'll need a completely differnt bow in that event.
Bob

"A man has to control himself before he can control his bow." Jay Massey

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2012, 05:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by jrstegner:
A Samick Sage can be had for about $135 and limbs are cheap, so you can move up in weight. I would start at 45#.
I like this advice!

Bisch

Offline Archer Errant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2012, 06:15:00 PM »
If you have a few more bucks to spend, try the PSE Mustang recurve, it´s right on the $210.00 mark. This bow shoots well over its price tag and the overall finish is better than the Samick.
I been using one for the past four years, whitetail, mule, 3d, competition, you name it the Mustang is far from letting me down and proudly made in the USA.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2012, 07:22:00 PM »
Good advice here. Start at a lighter weight that is comfortable, and don't bother to compare to what you drew with the compund - apples and oranges here. Later, if you wish, you can move up in draw weight, but don't be in a hurry. Let your natural increase in skill and strength tell you if you want to move up, not a macho impulse. I think you will like the challenge of trad.
Sam

Offline turkulese

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2012, 09:59:00 PM »
Thanks for all the great advice... I just have to say, I very much enjoy this forum over other bow sites. - Ray

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2012, 10:11:00 PM »
I shot a 70 # recurve and when I started with a longbow 40 was a good weight but was shooting 45 before long.

I find a lot of the old "common" recurves to be great bows.  maybe you can find one, then order/buy something once you know what you want after shooting other bows.

This is all part of the journey, keep it fun and good luck!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©