3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Michigan Elk Permit draw success!!  (Read 830 times)

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Michigan Elk Permit draw success!!
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2012, 09:37:00 PM »
Congrats. I am a HUGE VPA fan for broadheads

Offline kennyb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2012, 09:42:00 PM »
Great job there Doc! Congratulations and keep us posted about your hunt! Good luck and shoot 'em straight!

Kenny    :archer2:
>>>-------------->
Black Widow-PSA III 60"
Tall Tines Recurve 62"
U.S Army Veteran
U.S. Army Military Police K-9 Corps

Offline gvdocholiday

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2012, 11:10:00 PM »
Thanks guys. I will be doing a self guided hunt, no licensed guides.

I believe I have squired some private land but still waiting for final confirmation.  

If any of you know where I can get on a cow elk anywhere outside Pigeon River State forest or NW Montmerency Co then shoot me a line.

You can use any weapon for elk.
"Live like you ain't afraid to die....don't be scared, just enjoy the ride."

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2012, 01:24:00 AM »
Pretty cool to be able to hunt elk in MI. I recommend Stingers. 150s with the bleeders. Shot two bulls both passthru with no problems.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2012, 09:10:00 PM »
I can help with some Pigeon River areas. I bird hunt and fish there quite a bit. I quit putting in for the elk draw. I did religiously for years until there were guys showing up twice in the draw. Good for you.
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline gorillabows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2012, 09:37:00 PM »
That is great! Congrats

Offline Gib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2012, 09:24:00 AM »
jvdocholiday, if you want to spend a day or two ? I can show you your whole hunting area, I see you have some private land you're going to hunt if anyone else has permission to hunt the property the elk will be tough with the bow, the first hunts are the toughest not many elk outside the core area and the guides will be all over the place would love to see you get one with the bow,it's been my dream to get a tag and get one with a stone point ,but i have to draw the permit first 28 years so far and no luck , one of these years though, if you want to hook up let me know ? good luck gib

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2012, 10:49:00 AM »
Awesome. You lucky dog.   :thumbsup:
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2012, 12:36:00 PM »
Congrats! That's a real privilege    :archer:
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there"
-Fred Bear

James 2:19-20

USMC Infantry

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2012, 05:41:00 PM »
Awesome!!! Congrats  :)
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline Bmac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2012, 08:38:00 AM »
A fall cow tag is supposedly the hardest Michigan elk hunt there is.  In my scouting trips in 2008 I saw many more bulls than cows, especially in the fall.  

I would guess you have already done this but just in case, contact the local DNR biologists and CO's to get a line on any properties that they have taken crop damage complaints for.  You can also likely get info from them on where previous years successful hunters have taken elk in the fall.  

Finally be prepared for a lot of work once you get her on the ground.  I'll never forget when we saw a whitetail deer run through a group of elk as we approached during my hunt.  That deer looked absolutely tiny compared to the elk.

Offline Gib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2012, 11:22:00 AM »
gvdocholiday sent you a p.m ,gib

Offline DGF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2012, 12:53:00 AM »
Congrats on the tag! I'm still waiting for my tag of once in two lifetimes.

Dan

Offline yukon chuck

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2012, 11:35:00 AM »
Good for you! If I were you I'd play the lottery too, as you're luck seems pretty good right now.
Good luck to you.
>>>--TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Longbow Association
Yucketsville Buffalo & Cricket Association

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle". -Plato

Offline kenn1320

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2012, 11:21:00 PM »
Congrats, wish you luck. An old friend of mine got to go on a hunt with his dad for a cow. You sit in a room while the dnr tells you all the rules. The back wall is lined with locals who approach you when the meeting is over with pics of bulls and trying to get you to hire them. His dad hired a guy and got his cow. The dnr flys around telling people where they are seeing elk and the locals race you down the 2 tracks "road hunting" and you jump out and shoot em. Sounds like a real rat race and elk being chased like crazy. Hope you dont find it as bad as he described it.
I'm not a "deer" hunter, I'm a bow hunter that occasionally shoots a deer.

Offline Gib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2012, 06:56:00 AM »
Well i went scouting for elk on Monday of this week sorry we have no pictures, but i'll see if i can relay them too you all in words. First i got woke up to a barking dog at 3.30 am ,and had a small bear in the back yard getting into my bird feeders watched her for about a half an hour eating bird seed, the windows were open in the house and she would get nervous as my dog growled ,and she would make a dash for the woods and return to get more seeds, then she finally got tired of going back and forth and finally left. Well i was excited about going to scout for elk and tossed and turned until gary and his father inlaw arrived at 6.30, another reason for not being able to sleep was this was going to be my first day off in three weeks ,and i needed to get some woods time ,man working twelve hour swing  shifts ,the time sure flies, Well we hit the road to travel north from grayling and then head east, about a hour and a half drive to our first destination ,on the way east we were looking into the sun as we are driving and i see a bird circle in the air ,looking into the sun all i can see is a big bird and think it's a raven , another few more yards down the road an eagle swoops down out of the air and grabs an object off the center of the road right in front of us and in it's claw has a piece of an animal or a small animal that was dead in the middle of the road. Well we make it to my friends property and in the food plots we have planted we find fresh elk tracks and droppings ,we also put up a trail camera,and check the place out and talk about hanging tree stands and using the ones that are already there. As we are driving threw the property which is about 500 acres a bear runs accross the trail in front of us,we head to another place on state land and do some walking ,this goes on all day , we pretty much cover the northern hunting zone for gary during the day ,and we see elk also, nine bulls the biggest being a 5x5 most of the bulls were 5x5 also and see a cow and calf as we were walking in the woods. The calf,(last years) comes within sixty yards of us and has no clue we are there. The big cow went the other way. We are going up again on tuesday to check trail cameras and hopefully get an eye ball on some more cows as gary has a cow only tag, His hunt starts the 28th of August for three days and then again in September ,which i hope by then the weather will be cooling down and the bulls will start to become more active and collecting their cows and bugleing ,exciting times which i look foward to every year.The only down side to the day was i ended up haveing 14 ticks on me ,darn i hate those things , does anyone know what repells those things ? I've had 100 percent deet on before and still found them on me. It's still not enough to keep me from the woods though,Well hopefully gary will tell his story on here sometime? Although i know he sure is a busy man also, so stay tuned ,no animals were harmed yet!!! gib

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2012, 07:19:00 AM »
Gib, thanks for the update. Permanone Tick Repellant, for clothes only. Very effective. Hope you find a great spot for Brian to take a big cow. Michigan elk taste yummy!
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline HuronArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2012, 06:16:00 PM »
Congrats,look forward to hearing about the final outcome.

Offline gvdocholiday

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2012, 04:18:00 PM »
You're right Gib...you're not very good with remembering names.  I'm Bryan!!   :)

Anyways, I had training at the RAM center yesterday so I decided to take my personal vehicle and meet up with Gib again to do an evening spotting sit and also to check the card on my trail camera that I set up.  

It ended up being a beautiful evening as there was no wind whatsoever and the humidity finally died down and the temperature dropped to the point where I was really wishing I had a sweatshirt.  

Anyways, Gib saw several deer and I saw only one...no live elk during the sit...but I got into a good book on my Kindel App and that made the time fly.  

Well, it was time to check the trail camera to see if anything had gone through the previous 9 days.  As soon as we walk up to the camera on the tree I knew something had messed with it, I had it setup overlooking a little opening that would be about 10yds out from the tree I would hope to put a treestand set in for my wife and I.  Well, this spot did not disappoint!!!

Elk Trail Cam Pics
"Live like you ain't afraid to die....don't be scared, just enjoy the ride."

Offline Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2012, 05:40:00 PM »
Sounding and looking good Bryan !!!!!!

Gib it a great thing you are doing helping with this    :clapper:
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Users currently browsing this topic: