3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Black Widow/Tall Tine Shoot Around  (Read 386 times)

Offline Interseptor

• Trad Bowhunter
Black Widow/Tall Tine Shoot Around
« on: June 25, 2012, 10:35:00 AM »
Had a chance to shoot with Mike Cooper, Rusty Fonns, and Colin Earles last week and it was a blast!  Just getting together has me really looking forward to our next trad club get together.  I also got a chance to shoot Mike's Black Widow PSA and his Tall Tines.  All I can say is that both bows are awesome!  I have always thought that the BWs were bulky from the way they look.  But after shooting one, my whole perspective has changed.  The BW has a shorter riser but the site window is 4 inches long, perfect for my shooting style.  And the Tall Tines has a shorter riser but the design of the site window also did not get in my way.  It shot awesome!  I found myself switching from one to the other and shooting good groups.  Thanks Mike for letting me shoot your bows!  Now all I have to do is resist the temptation of buying one.
Palmetto Traditional Bowhunters
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Black Widow/Tall Tine Shoot Around
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 12:26:00 PM »
widows have a way of doing that to ya! after getting my kbx i have sold all my other bows!
Make a life, not a living

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 02:34:00 PM »
If you could only pick one...? and why...?  Just curious because I've shot some widows but and looking hard at a TT.  Thanks.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 02:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by LITTLEBIGMAN:
widows have a way of doing that to ya! after getting my kbx i have sold all my other bows!
I've got a KBX on order, hope I am as impressed as you are with them.
Having done so much, with so little, for so long, I can now do anything with nothing.

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 03:07:00 PM »
Don't resist... just buy one of each!   :thumbsup:
Keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

Offline RUSTY1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 03:24:00 PM »
It was a good time! I've seen Mike shoot both of these bows in the past and I think it's a toss up between the 2. I think they are equally quiet, just different sounding. The TT seems a little quicker to me when I see Mike shoot the both of them. My only complaint about Mike's TT is it is too short for me and RH. That may be a good thing now that I think of it!!
R.J. Fens Jr.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 04:09:00 PM »
Both are great bows with exceptional customer service!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »
NBK,

Have owned both. Comparisons for me were so close that personal preference would be a dominating factor.

The primary factor would be the grip and again it will be you yourself that would have to determine that.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 10:28:00 PM »
To me it is pretty much a toss up between these two bows. I have owned quite a few bows. I have owned Widows for years now and will always have one and if I had to make a choice it would be the PSA, mostly because of familiarity with the BW. I did notice something strange when i am shooting both these bows the TT seems louder but when Doug was shooting them the TT seemed quieter. As Rusty said both bows are very quiet but have a different sound.
 Totaly agree with Friend, he hit the nail on the head.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 12:07:00 AM »
Like comparing a Maseratti to a Ferrari,who cares! Both fantastic ,can't go wrong with either.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 12:33:00 AM »
Thanks Friend, good input.  Time for a test drive!
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 01:52:00 PM »
I've decided on Black Widow myself, but there are a BUNCH of people who testify as to Tall Tines' excellent quality and performance.  If you are looking for a great bow, you are looking in the right place.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 01:58:00 PM »
I've owned both and like them both. The forward handle with bigger b/h on the widow will give a totally different feel than the TT. That said, I now own 4 Tall Tines as they are just the right fit for me. The grip, smoothness, and speed make for a great combo. You really need to shoot both for a while to decide. A few shots from each may not be enough to make up your mind. Best of luck in the search....Ryan

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 04:32:00 AM »
Always loved the looks of the Widow, but cannot get used to the grip.  Feels very narrow and square in the web of my hand.  I am smitten with the grip on the TT; very good locating system and so comfortable in my hand. You are very lucky to have had both to try side by side.

Offline CHENRYIV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 08:43:00 AM »
I just picked up a 56" PSA X Bacote - 55# @ 26".  Shoots like a dream.  just had to get used to the wide limbs, I've been shooting a li'l Hoots and Big Jim Thunderchild.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite, and he bends with his might that his >>--> may go swift and far.

Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 08:47:00 AM »
I sent my Tall Tines to Brian to get checker grip. In the mean time I have been shooting my 64" BlackWidow. It does have a narrow grip and has more physical weight, but is a fine shooting bow. I also have another TT on order that will be 62 inches. This will be my shortest bow as all others are 64". I like the wider limb design and durability in harsh hunting conditions of TT.

Offline Irish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2012, 11:02:00 AM »
I agree that the Widow with the standard grip is a little narrow.   Now the Asbell grip, that is a nice grip.   I have shot the TT a few times, and it is a very nice shooting bow.  Brian puts a ridge on the frount of the grip, that is not comfortable to me - it hits between the top two fingers on my grip.   Has anyone had a TT that did not have a ridge?
Mel Riley

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2012, 11:29:00 AM »
Food for thought on this topic.Not to down talk anybodys bows especially these two as I honestly think both are at the top of the class.A few here have mentioned durability.If most new the stingent testing that Ken Beck put there newly developed riser through there comparison to anybodys bow as far as durability would be short lived.
As the story goes Ken put there riser in a special vise and loaded it with I believe 150# limbs,they drew the limbs back I believe close to 40",generating a load on the riser that was tremendous and unheard of.They were afraid the string was going to come off.Reportedly the riser got loose of the vise and flew across the room,smacking the wall pretty hard.The riser was untouched.I defy any bow company to try this test.Just seams everything is compared to a Widow.
I've had bows from differant companys,that after substantial shooting the centre laminates in the riser have moved,you could grab them with your fingernail,Humm ? Never a Widows,I've owned 4,or my TT. Food for thought.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2012, 04:18:00 PM »
The thing about both these bows is That anytime I am shooting either one they put a grin on my face. That is the most important measure of any bow, the grin factor. Whether it be a self bow or the latest ILF it's got to have that grin factor.   :goldtooth:
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2012, 04:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by Irish:
Has anyone had a TT that did not have a ridge?
Mel,   that is the extra locating feature that makes the TT special.  Front   and back.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©