3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 3 Finger Under ? ? ?  (Read 315 times)

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
3 Finger Under ? ? ?
« on: June 25, 2012, 11:16:00 AM »
Shooting a Predator Hunter 46@28, slit finger off the shelf, drawing 27-27.5, 2016 aluminums. Anchor with middle finger in the corner of my mouth. I'm also a gapper with 40 yards being my point of aim. Been shooting slit finger foe ever but have dabbled in the past with 3 finger under. Not with this bow however. If I were to switch to 3 under what do I need to do to retune the bow? I understand that 3 under can make the bow loud. I'd like to keep my same anchor if possible. I'm thinking 3 under will raise my gaps a bit.The little bit a shot with 3 under my groups did get tighter. Any advise boys!
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3 Finger Under ? ? ?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 11:37:00 AM »
I'd just retune from scratch with a bare shaft.  If it's a split tiller bow you'll prob. have to raise your nock point some to even the pressure on the limbs equally.  However, I've noticed longer bows, at least for me, almost shoot identical.  I also haven't noticed a noise difference in my bows but it seems to be the popular opinion.
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 05:52:00 PM »
I shot 30+ years split finger, after rehabbing from rotator cuff 3 years ago, got serious and tried 3 under cordovaan tab, never looked back, shot the best I have ever shot with it.
samuel koger

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 06:53:00 PM »
Yes, you can keep the same anchor with middle finger at the corner of the mouth(that's how I anchor and I shoot 3 under). You will probably have to raise your nocking point up substantially. Mine's about 3/4"-7/8" above a 90 degree line.

Since you'll probably be raising your nock point, you will almost certainly shorten your point-on distance. Mine's right at 27-28 yards with my 29.25" arrow length setup. Which, I very much like that point-on distance.

If you go with 3-under, give it a good chance before you switch back to split. Stick with it and I'm pretty sure you'll stay with it.

Good luck.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 01:02:00 AM »
Just a thought.  I've gone back and forth between split and 3under.  I definitely shoot better 3under, especially at longer distances, however, I sure like the arrow control of split and practicing fun/awkward shots with extreme canting of the bow.  What works for me is that I anchor middle finger in corner of my mouth for split shooting, but anchor index finger in corner of mouth for 3under and have essentially the same sight picture.  Certainly not standard archery procedure, and I'm sure archery coaches are shaking their heads right now, but it works for me and I have fun doing it!
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 07:53:00 AM »
Originally posted by NBK:
Just a thought.  I've gone back and forth between split and 3under.  I definitely shoot better 3under, especially at longer distances, however, I sure like the arrow control of split and practicing fun/awkward shots with extreme canting of the bow.  What works for me is that I anchor middle finger in corner of my mouth for split shooting, but anchor index finger in corner of mouth for 3under and have essentially the same sight picture.  Certainly not standard archery procedure, and I'm sure archery coaches are shaking their heads right now, but it works for me and I have fun doing it!
Ditto ditto ditto
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline mmisciag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 08:16:00 AM »
I have switched to 3 under. I notice that the bow is louder or at least sounds different. I notice that my sight picture has changed drastically. I see more arrow as it is closer to me eye. I have come straight back to anchor and then touch my shoulder because if I don't the arrow is all over the place. So pulling through my shot is important. I have noticed some porpoising on shots but think it is because of my release. I need more time before I move my nock point to compensate.

My groups can be tighter when paying attention to all those things. I liked that when I got my sight picture right, I was sliding them right next to each other at 15 yards. Nice and consistent.

The jury is still out but I will stick with it.

Martin

Offline mmisciag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 11:26:00 AM »
Okay, I have caved to moving my nock. I moved it up a quarter of an inch. WOW!

Martin

Offline battman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 11:40:00 AM »
I've been giving it a go here lately myself.I've been having to anchor with my index finger at the corner of my mouth or I'm shooting way low.I also noticed my arrows aren't staying on the string when drawing(I went as far as putting tape in there to make my nocks tighter) so I went back to split fingers for safety reasons.

Offline mmisciag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 09:57:00 PM »
If your nocks are too loose then use a thicker serving.

It would make sense that the arrow would hit lower. As you move the nock closer to your eye, you are angling the arrow point down. It also appears that when the arrow moves forward it is thrown downward. Moving my nock up allowed the arrow to slip past the shelf and not hit it. My arrows fly like darts. If I move back to split finger, I think I would need to change the nocking point on the string. I'm not sure if that makes sense but it is working.

Three under is great so far.

Martin

Offline Real Buckmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 10:02:00 PM »
My story is same as koger I swithced five years ago and am shooting better than the last 30 years I cant even shoot split now feels very awkward.

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 06:50:00 AM »
I went to 3 under here a month or so ago and am shooting much more consistent and accurate.  I think I will stay with this method for awhile and see what happens.

Also, if your nocks are too loose on the string, then simply boil some hot water, soak them for 20 seconds and then squeeze to where they fit tighter on the string...it is a lot easier than replacing or reserving the string.

Offline mmisciag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 09:31:00 PM »
Okay, I have been shooting 3 under for two weeks. This is from 15 yards.

I love this!!!!

Martin

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 09:54:00 PM »
like ishoot4thrills said when going 3 under the nock point always goes from like 3/8 to 3/4 for me.  I keep coming back to 3 under I like the feel better of split but I shoot lights out 3 under especially 15 yards and in!
More bows than I should have!
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline cch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2012, 08:52:00 AM »
To help with the arrow flight shooting 3 under you should tie another nock point under the arrow. Upon release the arrow slides down as much a 3/4". There was a slow motion video showing this. I think it did it with split finger also just not quite as much.

The only control difference that I see is trying to shoot with a reverse cant and I have never found a situation that I would have to shoot like that other than a challenge from someone.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2012, 11:07:00 AM »
3 under works well for me since switching a few years back, it is natural now. Did require a retune with a nock point raise or tiller adjustment on ILF. Also arrow showed a slight spine change so retune with bare shaft. Tab works better for me than a glove three under. It is  a little louder to my ear.
shoot straight shoot often

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©