3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Short Bow Recommendations  (Read 397 times)

Offline dcolavito

• Trad Bowhunter
Short Bow Recommendations
« on: June 25, 2012, 01:22:00 PM »
Any recommendations on a short recurve?  Looking for something that will hold up with proper care for more than just a few years ... 55 lb draw at 28" (actually, my draw length varies a bit between 28" and close to 29").

I've been using the Bear Super Mag 48, a short bow that works well in the thick stuff I hunt in, but I've had 2 of em fail (one after 6yrs,and the second more recently just after 3yrs) and I'm wondering if a short bow can work for me over the longer haul.

Recommendations appreciated.
Dave

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Short Bow Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 01:29:00 PM »
Two Tracks Ambush. Do a search here and you will see great reviews and comments. You can't beat Chuck's prices, craftsmanship, and performance. The total package, and a great guy to work with.  :thumbsup:
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 01:30:00 PM »
A relatively long draw (28-29 inches) on a very short bow like a super mag, stresses the limbs to the limit.  I wouldn't expect them to last very long.  Might consider going to the 52-inch Bear magnum.  There are other 52-inch bows available as well.  However, my recommendation would be to go to something like a 56- or 58-iinch bow.  In truth, I don't think you'll notice the difference in terms of maneuverability in the woods, and the longer bow will be a lot more pleasant to shoot. Lots of old bows in that length, and many current bowyers also offer 56-and 58-inch bows.

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 01:50:00 PM »
You might want to talk with Mike Stelega of Bruin Bows. A few years back I pulled some of his shorter bows and was amazed at how smooth they were. I don't think he makes any 48"er's. I think the one's I were looking at were 52 and 56".

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 01:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by owlbait:
Two Tracks Ambush. Do a search here and you will see great reviews and comments. You can't beat Chuck's prices, craftsmanship, and performance. The total package, and a great guy to work with.    :thumbsup:  
x2   :thumbsup:   :thumbsup:
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 02:03:00 PM »
You might also check out Acadian Woods.  They won't get down as short as the Bear, but a good short recurve none the less.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 02:23:00 PM »
two tracks ambush. that is a sweet shooting bow
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline granpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 02:37:00 PM »
Give Steve Gorr over at Cascade Archery a call, IMHO he has perfected the short bow. I still shoot a 48" TD Recurve that was made over 15 years...might be even longer than that!

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 02:49:00 PM »
Either Chuck's Ambush or Brent Rudolph's Black Mountain Sheepeater Spirit static tip (47" tip to tip braced).  I have both and both are shooters.  Chuck's bow is easy to pick up and shoot.  Brent's short static tip takes a bit of getting used to, but is easily mastered.  You can't go wrong with either.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 03:18:00 PM »
I also suggest you look at Cascades bow line
Make a life, not a living

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 03:28:00 PM »
There are a couple of nice Kodiak Magnums in the classifieds right now that are in your spec range. Those are 52" and probably more likely to hold up at your draw.  You should be able to find one of those for under $200.

In addition to that and some of bows mentioned above(Steve Gore's been around a long time and is well respected for his short bows), you could look at the Super Shrew Little Favorite line. They are made in 52",54" and 56" models and are great for tight cover.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Real Buckmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 04:16:00 PM »
Tolke has a short recurve. SUPER NICE !!! And Smoking fast. Give Dan a call

Offline huntmaster80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 04:42:00 PM »
I have shot a short Tolke recurve and like it a lot!!!  I have also owned a Two Tracks Ambush a 50" recurve. In my opinion the Tolke was smoother and faster

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 05:08:00 PM »
Martin Rebels for me.

Offline dcolavito

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 05:14:00 PM »
Thanks to all ... as usual, very good advice!
Dave

Offline Irish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2012, 06:16:00 PM »
Cascade, Two Tracks or Toelke
Mel Riley

Offline cch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2012, 06:30:00 PM »
Cascades 48" or 52" would fit you nicely. Both are very dependable. And are easy to shoot. Give Steve a call, he is great to deal with.

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2012, 06:34:00 PM »
X3 for Steve's Magnums at Cascade.

Offline braveraven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2012, 06:38:00 PM »
Checkmate, a canadian bow, has a very well made beautiful 52" bow.  It is called the "RAVEN".  Good worksmanship and very well priced.  I think new ones are just a little over $300.  Check out G and M archery, they usually have one in stock.

Offline flyne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2012, 06:50:00 PM »
Little sucking  kt44 super short only 40" long when strung mine should get hear today some time
The cascades are a very nice bow To shoot and look great
And sulki make some nice ones as Well and i think I will get a turk for my next bow
Jim
If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it.         (Fred Bear)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©