3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Advice for a 1st time bowhunter  (Read 434 times)

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
Advice for a 1st time bowhunter
« on: June 25, 2012, 07:11:00 PM »
I am planning to hunt wild hogs, deer, coyotes late summer/fall with #50 Samick Sage, Easton St Epic arrows, 105 gr Muzzy Phantom broadheads, and a Ghillie suit.  I have friends/family with places to hunt here in central Texas. I plan to hunt from the ground, the suit is well underway and I shoot and bowfit a lot.  Any advice would be appreciated.  
  Thanks Gang!
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Advice for a 1st time bowhunter
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 07:34:00 PM »
Study your hunting area and learn the travel patterns and the terrain. Find the water and the food sources and hunt them.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline jefffunff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 08:04:00 PM »
practice, practice, practice
NRA Life Member

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 08:35:00 PM »
Patience and use the wind to your advantage
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 08:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by okla bearclaw:
X2

Good luck, and pick a spot!
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline Michael Pfander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 08:46:00 PM »
Learn proper shot angles and shot placement.
MAP
Map
PBS
BHA
P&Y

Offline Michael Pfander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 08:46:00 PM »
Learn proper shot angles and shot placement.
MAP
Map
PBS
BHA
P&Y

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 09:25:00 PM »
Make decisions that will minimize the chances you will miss or wound.

Realize that responsible follow-up of a poor shot will cost you many hours or even a day or more of hunting time.

Have your gear tuned, your proficiency practiced, and your decisions perfected to the point that you expect a quick kill every time you drop the string.

Have fun learning from your quarry.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 09:33:00 PM »
Keep the wind in your face, move like your in slow motion, and keep the wind in your face. Did I mention the wind? Most of all treat every hunting outing like a class room and learn every time you go to class......oh yea, have fun doing it!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Scarne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 09:41:00 PM »
I'm going to change things up a bit.  The most important thing is to have FUN!  This is an adventure and whether or not you put a tag on anything should have zero impact on having FUN.  

Believe me...killing isn't hard.  After the first couple the rest come rather easy.  To many sportsman put to much pressure on themselves to produce and it takes the fun right out of it.
"A man is best judged by what he does when nobody else is watching."

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 10:12:00 PM »
I agree with the advice given above Remember, just keep these few items foremost in mind:

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE
WIND, WIND, WIND
PICK A SPOT, PICK A SPOT, PICK A SPOT
LEARN, LEARN,LEARN
FUN, FUN, FUN
PICTURES, PICTURES, PICTURES
Sam

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 12:46:00 AM »
All great advice and I have nothing more profound to add other than your mercy for that animal comes from your practice of that shot.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 08:05:00 AM »
Try to learn that there is much more to the whole game than dragging out a deer.  Allowing yourself the joys of dreaming, preparing, participating, and remembering your hunt, of little things (and even not so little things) that happen while out there.  Smell the roses and see the sights along the way.  They can all be a grand part of your time in the woods.

ChuckC

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 08:11:00 AM »
Welcome from Kentucky!

What's your total arrow weight?
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 08:16:00 AM »
All good advice here, but for me the hardest part is dialing in the deer's travel patterns and then setting up close enough to get a shot.  Scout hard, but not hard enough to spook the deer and change their habits.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2012, 08:22:00 AM »
105 grain muzzy phantom?...If so, I'd opt for a little more hardware.  125 grain at least, 150 even better.

Only other advice....have fun.    :readit:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 12:11:00 PM »
Beat me to it Terry...

above X2

...X10 on the fun part!
   :thumbsup:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Bishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2012, 12:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shedrock:

Originally posted by okla bearclaw:
X2

Good luck, and pick a spot! [/b]
X2!

Offline JO_EZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2012, 01:11:00 PM »
1) Believe
Critters may not necessarilly be attracted to optimism, but they are surely repelled by pesimism. I tend to get distracted by the empty half of the glass. Sometimes I have to stop and remind myself to hunt in the moment. Pretend that it doesn't matter that I am not seeing fresh sign or that I got a late start or that the wind was wrong for my carefully laid plan or that someone else was hunting "my" area.  :banghead:   Just pretend to be nieve about all the reasons why your hunt won't work and believe that there just may be a critter right-over-there. After all, it makes a better story to tell about a sneaky close encounter that you didn't expect than to have to say that you kicked up a couple of deer while stomping back to your truck feeling sorry for yourself about not seeing any deer... uh, or so I've heard.  :rolleyes:  

2) Keep the clue phone handy.
If you happen to see critters where you didn't expect to see them, don't assume that they are lost. Pay attention. Last year, we carefully planned out the perfect spots for my sons and I on our annual campout. We sat them the first night and saw nothing until getting to the truck where we kicked up some does at dark right by the intersection of 2 roads, next to the motorcycle trail where everyone parks and drives through. A small game hunter stopped to jaw a bit and said he also saw those deer there the week before. So, I clued him in on the house-cat-sized squirrels we saw in return for his advice. The next night we were hunting there just 60 yards from the truck and the deer came in right on schedule... I'll plead the 5th after that  :dunno:  .... So, be ready to change when the evidence suggests it, even if it doesn't make a lot of sense. Later, we found an apple tree that they were attracted to across the road, which is why they were hanging out there every night.

Good luck, and like everyone else says HAVE FUN.
I started shooting a longbow because I thought it would simplify things and it did... now I simply need to get a whole lot closer to hit anything.

Work'n when I have to, fish'n when I can...

Offline DeCurry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2012, 04:25:00 PM »
My deer lease is in central Texas (Lampasas county) and the first thing that popped into my head when reading your post was: you may find a ghillie suit to be too hot, especially late summer and early fall.  I use an ASAT leafy suit (breathable mesh) and once the temps are in the 80s or higher, it starts to be a bit uncomfortable, even with just a t-shirt on underneath.  It will probably still be in the 80s or even 90s when bow season opens.  Just something to think about.

When using a ghillie / leafy suit, be sure to have something behind you that lets you blend into it.  You can't rely on the suit 100% to conceal you.  If you sit still, you'll have deer walk right up to you.  But at some point you have to shoot, which segues into:

Work on drawing your bow with as little noticeable movement as possible.  Even though you're wearing a ghillie, you still need to hide this type of movement or you'll get busted, so find natural cover that has 'shooting lanes' (I carry a pair of garden clippers with me at all times for trimming small limbs).

And as already mentioned, treat each outing as a learning experience.  Everytime I make a mistake, I make a note of it as soon as possible (sometimes on my phone immediately, other times back in camp).  I re-read those notes frequently until they're ingrained.

Looking at my phone, I still have some that I haven't transferred to a notebook.  Here's one:

"Trim ALL firing lanes."  I missed an opportunity on a huge 6-pt last season when the one 'lane' I didn't trim happened to be right where he ended up standing (I still remember sitting down and evaluating my shooting lanes and thinking, "Oh, nothing will ever come from THAT direction" /facepalm); I was eventually busted when I got impatient and tried to move to a spot where I might have a shot.
"I was raised on wolves milk, though it seems I sleep like a lamb."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©