3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Whats HOT for breakfast  (Read 558 times)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Whats HOT for breakfast
« on: June 26, 2012, 09:54:00 AM »
I don't think I've ever met a bowhunter that didn't like to eat. One of the reasons we hunt is to supply meat for our family. One of my favorite breakfast meals is venison steak and eggs, with maybe just a little raw fried taters on the side.

Around this time of year when the freezer is getting low we may have to have some meatless meals to save on our meat supply and make it last. One of those for me is grits and eggs. Now I know that a lot of folks especially folk from the north turn up their nose at grits. Southerners are raised on grits so it's a staple for them.

The reason some don't like them may be because of how they fix em. First off don't use instance grits, the old fashion grits that you cook for 15 to 20 minutes is best. I don't like my grits to run all over my plate, they need to be thick enough to stand like mashed taters. Grits will hold their heat a long time so I usually put them on my plate first, add a slab of butter and sprinkle heavily with grated sharp cheddar cheese on top.

As the cheese is melting, plop 2 or 3 eggs in a pan (I prefer 3) flip em over easy and slide em on top of your grits. Now for the important part, before I put on the eggs I sprinkle the grits liberally with hot sauce, Louisianan hot sauce or whatever brand you prefer. I picked up some hot sauce at the Compton rendezvous from some fellows from Tennessee representing a company called "Rock Creek Farms" Their "Super Hot Whiskey Sauce" should come with a warning label and be used sparingly.

This is a stick to your ribs meal and you'll more and likely skip lunch and not be hungry until suppertime. With this recipe I gar-own-tee you'll never say grits are bland and tasteless again.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Whats HOT for breakfast
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 10:01:00 AM »
Grits, Ron, Grits. It is great to see a Northener who appreciates them. Also, they are not just for breakfast as in shrimp and grits.

Someday us Southern guys need to put together a Trad Gang grits recipe book so we can enlighten the rest of the bow hunting world.

Remember the long running grits thread from a year or so ago? It was fun.
Sam

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 10:03:00 AM »
mmmmmmmmmmmm.....I'm hungry again!
   :bigsmyl:    :thumbsup:    

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 10:04:00 AM »
Looks good to me!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 10:05:00 AM »
Ron, you just made me darn HUNGRY!

But, you forgot to add piping hot Community Coffee (of which I'm having a cup of right now)!

sa ce bon!
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline ArkyBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 10:05:00 AM »
Ron, that's a breakfast any southerner could be proud of. Add a couple of biscuits and gravy and you're set!!!

BOB
"There are some that can live without wild things, and some that cannot."  -  Aldo Leopold

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 10:06:00 AM »
Ron,
You hit the nail on the head. Grits with cheese -- man, that's good.
As a yankee who has been transplanted to the south, I have learned about grits. Try very finely grated cheddar mixed into the grits so it all melts -- wow!
My vote for hot sauce goes to Texas Pete, made in Winston-Salem, NC -- regardless of the Texas name. Just a hint of sweet in with the hot.
I love breakfast, any time of day. Breakfast is the "Hunter's Meal"
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 10:16:00 AM »
Mmmmmmm.... Gree-uts!!!
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Online Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 10:20:00 AM »
oh man, venison and eggs with hot sauce, I lost my concentration there.
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Offline the elf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 10:21:00 AM »
What are grits?????---I am not trying to be funny--but being from Canada---I do not have a clue what you are talking about. Alonzo the elf.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 10:21:00 AM »
That sauce is some HOT stuff, I had some on my home made venison hash with eggs on top this morning.(taters, venison, onions and red/green peppers)
like dippidy doo, a little dad will do ya.

PS, That grit thread is still one of the funniest threads yet. somebody should dig it up.

CTT
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Spitfire Htr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 10:21:00 AM »
Mmmmm...Mmmm That's what I'm talking about. Throw a little country bacon or sausage in there with some cathead biscuits and Hawwww, that's some fine eatin.
Groves Mag II 66# @ 28",          Groves Mag II 55# @ 28",           Groves Magnum 44# @ 28"

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 10:41:00 AM »
Sure described a perfect breakfast! Like to eat my grits last smothered in redeye gravy.., as in dessert!
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline RkyMtn Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 10:55:00 AM »
I like the grits too but that hot sauce will fire you up all day.  However since I take a nexium every day, I can usually handle stuff that is hot and spicy.

I like mine with eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy.  Growing up on a farm in Tennessee, we occasionally put molasses or karo syrup on them with butter and ate them as a cereal.  I still like them that way now.

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 11:22:00 AM »
A meatless southern breakfast is about as real as the toothfairy.

If I have to crawl underneath the house, drag that possum out and stomp him to death with my bare feet, I'm having some sort of grilled or fried meat with my eggs.  

I'll run out of eggs before I run out of breakfast meat.  And if I run out of eggs, then I'm going out back and grabbing an unproductive hen for breakfast.  I find if one hen has to take one for the team, it motivates the rest of the flock!

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2012, 11:33:00 AM »
Wow Ron, you eat good!
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 11:36:00 AM »
Originally posted by the elf:
What are grits?????---I am not trying to be funny--but being from Canada---I do not have a clue what you are talking about. Alonzo the elf.
Someone needs to enlighten this northern gentleman. I ain't technical enough   :knothead:
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2012, 11:53:00 AM »
V-GORILLA, that's funny ....  but true!
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2012, 12:46:00 PM »
You can cover almost anything in cheese and hot sauce and make it taste good.   :rolleyes:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2012, 01:05:00 PM »
Had my two eggs, over medium, with bacon, grits, and pan toasted wheat bread this morning. I like my thickly cooked grits with a heavy covering of black pepper and a pat of butter to freshen the taste. No salt. Eggs covered in black pepper and Texas Pete Hot Sauce from local Winston-Salem, NC.

I'm heading out to Caifornia in a few weeks. Gonna look up the Pico Pica Hot Sauce.  I had some out there in April and love that stuff. Can't find it here locally.

Good stuff Ron. Hopefully I'll have some wild bacon to go the the above some day.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©