3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Scouting Tool  (Read 344 times)

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
Scouting Tool
« on: August 03, 2007, 02:11:00 PM »
Just thought I'd share a neat tool for scouting that I haven't seen mentioned before.  It's Microsoft's Virtual Earth system.  It can be incorporated into lots of uses (Weather.com uses it for radar overlap on satelite pictures in their radar map).   You can use it here:
 http://maps.live.com/

It allows you to zoom in very far and the pics seem more up to date than others I've used, at least where I've looked.  They had my house during construction, which is about 2 years ago.  Using the "Hybrid" mode overlays roads and names. Just thought I'd share.

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Scouting Tool
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 02:14:00 PM »
Looks like we're cross talking here Chuck.

Talondale has posted a decent link here.  Most of the images I have seen are pretty recent and decent quality.
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 02:14:00 PM »
Nice...I will be checking it out. I usually use terraserver but those are aerial/sat photos from up to 15 years ago....thanks for the heads up.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 02:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by Forester:
Looks like we're cross talking here Chuck.

Talondale has posted a decent link here.  Most of the images I have seen are pretty recent and decent quality.
LOL yes we are I'm just saying the same thing on the Hog thread.

Offline bmfer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 02:28:00 PM »
I've used that before. It works well. One spot I hunt is really grassy into thicket and back again. You can zoom in so far that you can see the deer trails because the pictures were taken last fall, you can also see my truck parked there.
Bret M. FullER

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 02:28:00 PM »
Talondale, I just sent an e-mail to your yahoo address.  If you don't get that at work I'll send you a PM
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 03:15:00 PM »
I got it.  Thanks. I've also cleaned out some PM's.  Apparently I was full.

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 03:18:00 PM »
Google Earth has been a big help to me - similar to virtual earth, but you can look at the terrain in different angles.

Way cool.

Jake
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©