3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help with Bear restoration  (Read 111 times)

Offline casey37

• Trad Bowhunter
Help with Bear restoration
« on: June 26, 2012, 10:38:00 AM »
I just bought a 59 Bear Kodiak Special and I'm going to take on my first restoration.  I am going to need some help so this hopefully will be an ongoing thread. I'm going to start of with three questions.  First, what grit paper to make the first cut into the old crusty faded finish?  Second, The overlays on the tips are delaminating but they are all there, how do I bond them back together.  I was thinking super glue inside then clamp and set, once set then dip in superglue and let dry then sand and finish when I final finish the bow.  Lastly,  The bow came to me with a small sight screwed onto the front of the bow,  what do I fill the holes with and how do I match the color and blend before final finish?  I know you Bear guys are crazy about this stuff and I'm really thankful for any help I can get.  Please remember I am a beginner.

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help with Bear restoration
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 10:48:00 AM »
There is some really good info in the collecting / history forum.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help with Bear restoration
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 10:50:00 AM »
Casey,

Try this post,  
  http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=14;t=005125  

The History & Collecting forum  http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=14  is the best place to go.  There are some true experts hanging out there, some that make their living restoring bows.

Good luck.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©