3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Miller Split Bamboo vs. Northern Mist Shelton  (Read 534 times)

Offline Moots

• Trad Bowhunter
Miller Split Bamboo vs. Northern Mist Shelton
« on: June 26, 2012, 01:27:00 PM »
I purchased a Howard Hill Big Five, 70" and 50 # @ 28" (dished grip) bow from Thom on Tradgang, and am hooked on the D-style longbow.  

Now I am considering purchasing either a Miller Split Bamboo or a Northern Mist Shelton.  While the best advice might be to buy both, I can only afford one.  

Some advice please.  How do they compare?  Thanks.

Rob

Offline sledge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Miller Split Bamboo vs. Northern Mist Shelton
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 02:35:00 PM »
moots?  steamboat mountain bike moots?

coolest bikes ever.

joe

Offline JohnI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 02:51:00 PM »
Nothing sweeter shooting than a Miller Split Bamboo, but they are an all wood bow, the Shelton is glassed. The  Split Bamboo can't be over drawn or left strung like a glass bow can. They are a different animal but great shooters.

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 03:22:00 PM »
I have had a Shelton and I thought it was a very nice shooting bow and the best string follow bow I have shot. Plus they are reasonable in price. There is one for sale used now in the classifieds. As with any bow personal preference is important. I had a David Miller and didn't like it as much as the Shelton.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't want to try another David Miller. I would like to try a David Miller Split Bamboo myself.

I would recommend trying a used one before I bought any new bow. Some of these bows are hard to find used. I rarely see a David Miller used for sale.

I would send a PM to HUD. I have had some discussions with him and find he is very knowledgeable with string follow bows. He told me some things I never knew about them. He has had many and I think would have valuable information for you.

John are you sure the split bamboo is all wood and doesn't have glass in it? I thought he just tillered it before it is backed with glass.

Thanks
Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 03:32:00 PM »
The Split Bamboo is an all bamboo model with a 12" riser.
They ARE the best "in the hand" compared to ANY glass Hill style bow.
They are a little slower then the glass bows, but that smooth, linear, thrust at the shot will have you saying... Nothing shoots like an all bamboo bow.

Offline JohnI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 03:43:00 PM »
Ditto what Jesse said.

Offline Moots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 04:01:00 PM »
Yes Joe, I've been riding a VaMoots for years . . .  and now I've found a new way to spend money with bows!

Okay, so I see that my Big Five has fiberglass (as does my McCullough Tsunami).  But a couple of my other longbows don't.  I'm understanding from your comments that the fiberglass makes a bow faster.  

I've done traditional archery less than a year; I don't know much.  But is this like the difference between a bamboo fishing rod versus a graphite or fiberglass rod? And I don't know what you mean when you say that the split bamboo can't be "overdrawn"or "left strung"?

Thanks,

Rob

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 04:18:00 PM »
Think of a piece of rebar, you can bend it, but if you go too far it will develop a kink and bend over. A non glass bow is engineered to only go so far. The length and the thickness is calculated to reach a certain draw weight, and the bow is made to go to your specific draw length. Fiberglass just adds a bit of stiffness, which increases speed, they are more durable but are not as gentle in the hand when shot.

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 04:21:00 PM »
If you leave it strung too long the limbs can develop a permanent set into the strung position, just pop the string off when your done shooting.

Offline JohnI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 04:24:00 PM »
Ditto what Jesse said.

Offline JohnI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 04:37:00 PM »
Moots it is the same as a bamboo fly rod compared to a fiberglass rod. If you are not careful and land too big a fish with the cane rod it will take a set, the glass rod will not. Same difference with bows

Offline Moots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 04:59:00 PM »
Okay, I think I'm starting to understand.  I see that Miller has an option for fiber backing or fiber backing plus belly glass.  So these options would add stiffness and speed.  

If Miller's Split Bamboo bow is designed to be "old school" and give the smoothness and feel of bamboo, it seems counterintuitive to me to put glass on the back and belly.  Wouldn't it make more sense to choose a different model and glass those?

So would the Northern Mist Shelton be more comparable to let's say Miller's Sage?  Or am I still comparing apples and oranges?

Offline Moots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 05:08:00 PM »
And string follow looks like the limbs bend slightly to the shooter.  So this would mean a little slower, but smoother release.  Would it make sense with string follow to shoot a bow at the upper end of draw weight to compensate for slower speed, but still get the smoother release?

Thanks.
Rob

Offline ScouterMike

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Outdoors Den
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 05:16:00 PM »
The Shelton would be most comparable to the Miller Old Tom. Either is as good as it gets in a glass backed American semi-longbow.
Rom 1:20

Offline JohnI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 05:45:00 PM »
Rob,
you are right you wouldn't want to glass a Split Bamboo. As Mike says a Shelton is comparable to a Old Tom and both are fine bows. I am personally partial to the Miller but to each their own. The string follow is as you say except that it won't effect the speed much at all, I would not up the poundage to compensate.

Online flint kemper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2012, 06:30:00 PM »
Have shot both. Miller all the way. Flint

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 06:50:00 PM »
Sort of apples to oranges comparison to compare an all natural bow to a fiber glassed bow.  Both bowyers are exceptional.  Steve Turay's Northern Mist bows get the nod from here because I prefer glassed bows.  If I were looking for an all natural bow it would be a Miller.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2012, 07:45:00 PM »
Just make sure it is long enough for your draw. Normal formula for a glass bow is to take the last digit of your draw length and add 60". So for a 28" draw go with a 68" bow.

Offline sledge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2012, 08:21:00 PM »
howard hill's draw length/bow length formula was to start at 72"bow, 28"draw, and reduce bow length 2" for every 1" reduction in draw length.

so hh liked a little longer bow.

joe

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2012, 08:48:00 PM »
With his self wood bow yes, with his laminated bamboo bows he shot 69" for his 28" draw. The extra inch was probably to help smooth out the fact that they were quite heavier than what most people shoot.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©