3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Miller Split Bamboo vs. Northern Mist Shelton  (Read 532 times)

Offline Moots

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Miller Split Bamboo vs. Northern Mist Shelton
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2012, 08:57:00 PM »
I have a 30 1/2 inch draw with my longbows -- so good information here on bow length.  I see a 66" NM for sale on tradgang - - - probably too short for me.

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2012, 09:15:00 PM »
You could say that. You are gonna need 70-72" my friend.
Now the $64K question, do you shoot targets or hunt.

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2012, 09:18:00 PM »
If it is gonna be heavy go 72" if it is gonna be mod. weight and maybe string-follow 70" will be fine. Shorter bows and you will be  pulling that string angle way past 90deg. and getting finger pinch as well, definitely not the way to achieve accuracy.

Offline sledge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2012, 09:35:00 PM »
thanks for that further info, swampthing.

i was thinking more about it, and @ 24", both formulae come out the same.

@25", (my draw), they're only 1" apart.

probably ain't much of a thang.

joe

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2012, 09:47:00 PM »
If you draw 30.5", you dont want a 66" Shelton, I would go 68-70". Call Steve Turay and he'll set you up.

Eric

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2012, 11:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by WESTBROOK:
If you draw 30.5", you dont want a 66" Shelton, I would go 68-70". Call Steve Turay and he'll set you up.

Eric
I echo Eric...

Offline Moots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2012, 11:14:00 PM »
Swampthing, only targets for now.  Are you suggesting I could go a little shorter for targets?  However, I have an eleven year old son who is interested in hunting, and my father has plenty of game on his ranch on the Wyoming / Colorado border.  So there could be hunting in our future.

Am I correct that a person can shoot a shorter bow if it has reflex / deflex?  But for a straight American longbow, it sounds like I need a longer bow.

And thank you for your comments.  I am learning a lot.

Rob

Offline JohnI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2012, 07:43:00 AM »

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2012, 08:41:00 AM »
Moots ,
yep its way easier to go shorter with a R/D bow ...
Hill style bows are at their best when long ... and iMHO make the best and most fun hunting bow around . Their best attributes .. silent, forgiving are exacerbated when long in length .. and somewhat nullified as you go shorter ...
and i agree with my fellow Hillsters ... at 30.5 I'd suggest 68- 70 in a string follow and 70"[ maybe even 72"] in a straight/reflexed bow.

Are you only going to hunt with it ? Shoot tourney's, Go a roving marks, shot field ?
If only hunting you could likely err on the shorter side ... 68 string follow / 70 reflexed .....
Just my two cents ...
and that don't mean much , just ask my wife ......
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2012, 08:55:00 AM »
Hey Rob! I'm really glad to see that Big Five gave you the bug! (And remember to call me first if you ever decide to sell it!)

I've shot tons of HH and NM with my long draw between 66" and 70", and 70 inchers are my favorite by far!

I did buy a used Classic at 68" which I consider dead minimum. It shoots great, doesn't pinch or stack, but it's better than most 68 inch bows I've tried. That said it's a wicked bend in those limbs at anchor, I'm really glad to have the glass on it!

Every D longbow I'm thinking about ordering right now is 70".

Glad to hear your enjoying the Hill bows!
Thom

Offline Moots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2012, 01:44:00 PM »
Ben, thanks for the great advice.  I think it's worth more than two cents!

Thom, nice to hear from you again.  And I am enjoying that Big Five.  Thom, I'd like to know what you think about all natural Hill-style bows versus bows that have glass.  Have you had a chance to shoot a Miller split bamboo or similar bow?  What is your preference, and why?  What are your favorite HH and NM models?

Thanks,
Rob

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2012, 08:37:00 PM »
Rob,

String-follow bamboo longbows are very nice shooting bows.  These bows are not as durable as fiberglass longbows and are draw length specific.  All bamboo longbows will not last long if overdrawn and left strung.  

All bows have a "shelf life".  I have owned a Schulz "granpa" all bamboo laminated bow and a Dave Miller split-bamboo.  Both were nice shooting bows, the Schulz shot very well, probably as nice a drawing bow as i have ever shot in a Hill longbow.  

All bamboo bows will break at some point.  As well fiberglass bows have a shelf life.  A glass bow will last much, much longer than a bamboo if treated in the same manner.  

For me, I will own no more all-wood, non-fiberglass longbows.  I will only shoot glass bows.  It is simply too frustrating, expensive, and painful to get grooved in with a longbow and then have it break on you.  

I have not shot a Shelton, but a string follow glass bow is the best compromise between shoot-ability (smooth draw, accuracy) and durability in a Hill style longbow.  The one I am shooting now is as good a bow as I have ever shot.  A very talented bowyer in Idaho made it for me.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Moots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2012, 09:25:00 PM »
Thanks Jeff,

Very helpful comparison between the glass and all-wood longbows.  Would you mind sharing the name of your Idaho Bowyer?  

Rob

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2012, 09:39:00 PM »
I LOVE Steve's bows, but in this case I agree with Swampthing.  If its between a shelton and split boo I'm going with the Miller.  I have one and have owned and shot a shelton recently.  It's hard to describe until you shoot one.  Silent, and butter smooth, yet lively.  That Miller is something. Dave said it should last a long time. I just hope my lifetime.  

I haven't experienced any gain from a glass string follow bow over the standard back set.  I think they are overall smooth, but not smoother, and noticeably slower, and i didn't gain accuracy.  I've shot some that are shockey too.   That said, the reverse handle bows are amazingly accurate and still have the backset quick limbs and maintain the smooth shot. My opinions , but I know I'm not alone.

In my book the NM classic and whisper are must own bows for the Hill style enthusiast, and add the Miller split boo!

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2012, 10:22:00 PM »
Sunset Hill
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2012, 10:30:00 PM »
All Hill bows are not the same that is for sure.  There is tiller, timing of the limbs, and the width of the limb tips can make a big difference in performance, smoothness, handshock, etc.  

The grip fit is quite important for good shooting.  Just like a custom fitted pair of boots or shoes, a Hill longbow needs the same attention to each detail to fit you.  

These issues are where the truely custom bowyer comes in that knows how to fit the bow to the customer.  Anything will fling an arrow, but when you shoot one of these bows made to fit and get the "Hill style" down you gain a confidence over time in your hunting shot.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2012, 10:48:00 AM »
Hi Rob,
I haven't shot a Miller yet, just not that many of them in my circle of friends. Reputation is top notch and among the TG Hill shooters it has to be well deserved.

I considered buying a Shulz all bamboo bow a while back, but with my draw length I'm worried it would be in my hands when it wore out or broke. I just can't do that to a bow like that. If I drew 27 inches I'd love a natural bow and some dacron. Since that isn't the case I'll just focus all my attention on enjoying the glass bows that seem to like the abuse  :)  

I like Jeff's points regarding all boo vs glass backed bows, given your 30+ inch draw I'd either stick with glass or talk to the bowyer before you order an all natural bow.

I really like NM Classics and have shot a bunch of them, but I'll be ordering a Shelton for my next NM. With Steve's build time I bet I order another bow in the meantime.. I already owned a HH BF and was fool enough to sell it  :)  I shot a Crocodile @73 pounds during a pig hunt and I really liked it! I think my next HH will be a long Croc, probably at a similar weight.

There is one dark horse in the running, I know a bowyer (and sponsor) who will be announcing a D longbow later this summer. I asked for the heaviest bow out of his first production run (time will tell if I get it or not.)  Depending on when it shows up and how it shoots, it may push back my Crocodile order. I'll be putting money down on that Shelton regardless.

That's about all the more I can type out on this phone, I'll check back with you when I get back from vacation! All the best!
Thom

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2012, 11:01:00 AM »
I have both a NM Shelton and one of David Millers all bamboo longbows. Both are good shooting bows with different characteristics. I can't say anything negative about either of them. Having said that I like shooting my Shrew Hill bow best...   :dunno:

:D
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Moots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2012, 03:07:00 PM »
Thom and Jeff,

Very helpful comments regarding boo versus glass-backed bows.  Thanks!
Thom, I do like that HH BF you sold me; it has good mojo.

Rob

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2012, 05:03:00 PM »
Ron has the ShrewHill.  There is another bow I need to own!    :thumbsup:      Man the choices in great bows these days!     :D
Longbows & Short Shots

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©