3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Scored a TimberRattler skin today! (Pics added)  (Read 675 times)

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
Scored a TimberRattler skin today! (Pics added)
« on: August 03, 2007, 02:21:00 PM »
They kill a lot of rattlers where I work and I have them on notice to save them for me.  It finally paid off today as I got a nice yellow to black 3" rattler (8 buttons).  I skinned it out during lunch and have it in the cooler.  I just have to wait for a matching skin.  I'll post pics tomorrow when I flesh it out and tack it.

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Scored a TimberRattler skin today! (Pics added)
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 02:31:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  

So where do you work that they have reptiles on the loose?
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Offline kojac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 03:03:00 PM »
I've never had to flesh one out, I just tube it out starting just behind the head, pull the skin off just like you would take a sock off your foot and when your done the skin is in-side-out.

than I just slice it down the belly and put in on a board to dry.

good luck and cool score!!
Brian

"Hunting...is about the Sights, Sounds, Smells, and  the Hunted...All the hunter has to do is show up"

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 03:06:00 PM »
You know Brian we get enough threads asking what to do with dead snakes that that might make a great tutorial! How about photographing it the next time you do one.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 03:09:00 PM »
Yes, I agree with Mickey,,,, a tute is in order!
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 03:30:00 PM »
Well I did a search for previous posts and read all those.  I wasn't too concerned as I've skinned a lot of stuff for my biology degree but was wondering if there wasn't any special considerations for bow application.  I just used scissors down the belly and then cut around the anal plate.  There was some minimal connective tissue, mostly on the sides.

Forester, I work on the computers for a rock quarry company.  :)   They said this is an average size one and they've killed 6 footers!  :scared:

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 03:51:00 PM »
talondale, the good thing about timbers(canebrakes) is that you can usually get a matching set out of one skin or so I hear.  Split it right down the middle and use one half at the top and one at the bottom.
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 04:24:00 PM »
Chuck, Congrats on your Prize. Looking forward to some pics.  :thumbsup:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 06:45:00 PM »
Chuck there is no better looking skin on a bow in my opinion. Here is my Great Northern Fireball with timber rattler skins on it.
Jack

PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 07:54:00 PM »
Good find...and I agree with Jack...they're my favorite also...great looking bow jack!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2007, 02:54:00 PM »
Thanks Curt.

Chuck a guy that knows snakes told me it is best to dry timber rattler skins in the winter since they are so much thicker than say copperhead skins. There is less chance of flies blowing them then since they take longer to dry.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 02:50:00 PM »
I had a false alarm visit to the delivery room last night and now photobucket is down for maintenance.  I'll post pics as soon as I'm able.

BTW, I measured the skin and it is 47" long and 6.5" wide at the widest point.  They cut the head off about two inches back so this one was over 4' long.  Had 8 buttons.

Mine has much more yellow to it than that one.  Having seen it dry I notice the pattern seems just as clear underneath as above.  Has anyone tried gluing a skin on inside out to avoid the scale texture? or would the exterior skin not bind as well?

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2007, 03:38:00 PM »
Here's some pics of the skin fresh:

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2007, 03:44:00 PM »
Here it is tacked out on a 2x8

Here's my fleshing tool, I think it's an old guide for a circular saw, it was lying around in my garage, but it worked GREAT!  You can see that there was some meat in the belly area and connective tissue on the back.  I wonder if Brian's tube method would have eliminated most of the belly meat.  After I scraped it with the tool I scrubbed with a wire brush to get the stubborn stuff off.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2007, 03:48:00 PM »
I found it worked better if I removed the nails in the area I was working and nailed it back when I was finished there.  It also stretched better after being fleshed. I washed the skin as I went to rinse pieces off.  When I was done fleshing I used the ruler side of the "fleshing tool" to slide under the skin and lift it to the end of the nails allowing air to flow all around the skin.  Here's the clean skin.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2007, 03:53:00 PM »
My kids wanted in on the action.  Emma asked plenty of questions and stated she wanted a snake skin of her own.  A good opportunity for a nature safety lesson.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2007, 03:55:00 PM »
I then put the board in the sun to dry.  Here's the skin with 90% of the scales removed.

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2007, 04:00:00 PM »
I can't beleive I'M saying this , but I need to go snake huntin.I like that hide.That's awesom.I used to kill and skin snakes when I was a kid.Now I run like heck and hope they dont skin me  :o  But after seeing these pics I think I need one for my limbs.Keep those pics rolling.  :thumbsup:
Your best shot is only as good as your next one!

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2007, 04:03:00 PM »
That's the nice thing about my setup: other guys do all the killing, and I just have to clean them.  LOL.  This one was on a set of steps and two guys had stepped over it before the third guy saw it!  :scared:    :scared:

Offline Quill Flinger

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2007, 05:25:00 PM »
Nice rattler! Gonna look real good on a bow.

I've used a small old broken piece of flint (from a knife I'm guessing) that just fits along my forefinger to flesh out. I've never done a snake before though.

Come to think of it, I might still have an old tanned python skin around somewheres, believe it was 15 or 16' long. Couldn't have it out in the open as my ole parrot would go bananas at the sight of any snakeskin!

Kinda miss that ole turkey, African grey, got him when I was 13,....back in '66, he passed on bout 5 years ago. Had a lot of character.

Thanks for the pics - Q.
<~ TGMM Family of the Bow ~<<<

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©