3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: At what point do you get really serious?  (Read 360 times)

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
At what point do you get really serious?
« on: June 27, 2012, 06:29:00 PM »
Thought it might be interesting to see at what point before big game season that you get really serious? At what point do you stop shooting multiple bows and stick with just one, practice with broadheads, ETC. in general just prep. youself and your gear. For me its about a month, i pick ONE bow and stick with it, dig out the old practice broadheads and shoot them religiously, and fine tune my gear until it all comes together, for that one possible shot. How bout you?

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: At what point do you get really serious?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 06:39:00 PM »
i really dont slow down a heck of a bunch all year, but in april or may i start making sure i shoot at least a few arrows pretty much everyday, and start working out harder. cant be too ready for elk season!!
is it September yet??

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 06:43:00 PM »
I was born ready!

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 07:05:00 PM »
Always ready never know when you will get a call , I may shoot several bows in a season and it has never hurt me. I can be packed and on the road for a weeks hunt in about 20min.We hunt year round here Tx. heck I got hogs across the street so Im always ready.......
,,,,,Sam,,,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline jimmerc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 07:14:00 PM »
I stay ready to hunt all year! Thers always something to hunt, Ie: bunnys, squirrels,woodchucks, turkey, coyotes and deer! I stump for pratice everychance I get and scout for the deer while at it! Staying in tune with the woods is just as important as pratice with the bows! I have two bows I shoot everyday! since I've learned to get my broadheads really sharp I shoot them once a week, but really don't need to,I just do it to make sure everything is in tune still!!  But a month out from deer season I''l get all my gear out and wash,repair or replace if needed and resharpen all my broadheads and knives if needed!!
1- kajika stik combo,RC 55@28/LONGBOW 57@28 Both W/diamondback skins

1- monarch longbow royal 68" 59@28
1- bear kodak hunter-44@28

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 07:38:00 PM »
I shoot all year, most days. However, I shoot a variety of bows even on the same days.

About a month out from big game season I narrow my bow choice to "the one" and set up arrows to fit it. In fact, I will begin this process this weekend.

This year I may do something a bit different. I intend to work equally with two bows, number 1 and a back-up.  I'm hoping to hunt with both instead of just one. Both are recurves and the same arrow set-up will work.  

One is a metal , non-custom riser and the other is a highly customized, all wood TD curve.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 08:10:00 PM »
Always ready to hunt. Seriously, I stay at a point where I am ready pretty much all the time. The only things that I do not have ready at a moment's notice is enough food or propane for a couple weeks. Quick trip to the store and it is on!

I have one bow I love more than any other I have ever shot. I only shoot that bow, so shooting is always ready to go.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 08:15:00 PM »
I get serious about deer season prep when squirrel comes in(Aug.). Always shooting and tweaking gear.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline park

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 08:15:00 PM »
I know what you mean.It used to be two weeks before when i was a kid but ive learn its all about the shot and that takes alot of practice.Im hopeing its three months cause thats all i got left.I try to shoot all year long but with work and family it gets tough.Ive been really thinking about it lately so im with you on this one.

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 08:15:00 PM »
I hunt hogs year round.  i use different bows at various times of the year.  They are all bows that i am quite familiar with and they shoot very close to each other. i don't have a problem switching between them, but i shoot daily.  i take the bow out that i am currently practicing with at the time.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 08:24:00 PM »
I shoot pretty much all year.  I slack off a little when the fly fishing starts warming up around mid February through May, but still shoot some.  From about a month ago through the end of the seasons I'll shoot, stalk, workout, etc a lot.
Silence is golden.

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 08:26:00 PM »
I shoot 3D every month and shoot at the house a couple days a week. I have a 3D bow and hunting bow. I have several dozen arrows tuned with broadheads ready to go. I usually put the 3D bow up in july and just shoot my hunting bow the rest of the year.
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 08:50:00 PM »
I shoot all year long. I have 1 bow that I use most of the time but I can pick up any I own and be ready to hunt with it the same day.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 09:09:00 PM »
I shoot just about every day, and I work out regularly; when you are eligible for Medicare, it makes sense to not get too out of shape. I stick with the same bow, and mix hiking the mountains with stump shooting along with my backyard targets and my normal workouts.  Since I'm retired, I don't have any excuses about not being fit; being in shape to enjoy the high country is my new job. Hike, bike, shoot the bow, catch a trout, repeat. A dirty job, but somebody has to do it.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 09:28:00 PM »
I shot all year long and attend 3d's when I can. But I try to just go with the flow. I try not to make a job outa hunting. I use to get so work up about it..aka deer season that by mid season I was burnt out. So I just try to make the best of my outings.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 09:41:00 PM »
I shoot pretty much year round, but in July I begin to practice more regularly and with greater intensity and check out stand locations. By August I am getting pumped and go through all the equipment checks, repairs, and replacements. I check stand location again so that by September opening day things are all set.
Sam

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2012, 09:49:00 PM »
I usually try to have a setup finalized by sometime in July. From then on, outside of the Fun Shoot, I shoot one arrow at a time at small target at unknown distances, from all sorts of positions. I usually shoot for an hour or so every evening and by the time the season rolls around, I'm pretty confident.

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2012, 09:51:00 PM »
Same as u

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2012, 10:13:00 PM »
Labor Day, our season starts around Oct 1st.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2012, 10:32:00 PM »
All year.  Always ready.  You never know when an opportunity will arise.

Spied another groundhog two days ago trying to be sneaky.  I've got his number....
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©