3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: longbow choice  (Read 1132 times)

Offline moththerlode

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: longbow choice
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2012, 02:55:00 PM »
Don't over look the Liberty Bows .. Fantastic bows
God,Country and Family ..Semper Fi

Valley Springs Ca.

Offline Stix

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2012, 08:56:00 PM »
I'm gonna get alot of grief over this, but I sold my customs sometime back because I found two great bows that are production models that cost in the mid $200 range and they shoot equal or better than any of my customs. For a recurve I found that the Samick Stingray is a smooth shooting fast bow that puts meat on the table. $229 from lancastar archery. For a longbow I found that the Greatree Vendetta is smooth, fast, quiet, and zero handshock. Along with that it's a 60" bow so you're not always snagging on brush, etc. Both of these are workingman,s bows, meaning they perform without having alot of master craftsman finishes. But hey, who wants to drag something through the mountains that looks like a piece of Lane furniture. With these bows you don't mind if you get a scratch or two on them. The Vendetta is $249 from andoverarchery.com
Stix

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2012, 09:25:00 PM »
Malcom.f, on Pete Ward web site he did a review on the Toelke Wip and gave it very good reviews.

Just punch up Pete Ward. com

Offline Machino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2012, 09:43:00 PM »
Just got a whip.  It's an Amazing bow.  Dan and Jared Toelke are two outstanding fellows who make a excellent product.  I have had the pleasure to visit Dan before, during, and after he made my bow and hands down, he is the best salesman, bowyer, stand up gentlemen I have ever met. Get a WHIP!!!

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2012, 10:56:00 PM »
Get a Tomahawk Legacy series bow! No hand shock, incredibly fast, and durable. What more can you ask for.
James Kerr

Offline stick'um

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2012, 11:04:00 PM »
Ihave a Lean Stewart Slammer Special you might want to try.He will be at Denton Hill.

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2012, 11:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bjorn:
Longbows, and bows in general are very personal. How you like them is more important than how others like them. Shoot before you buy.
This is very good advice.

Only you will know what bow fits you and your shooting style.

Shoot as many as you can from local archery stores or test drive from bowyers.
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline jwhitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2012, 11:49:00 PM »
If you get a chance to shoot a JD Berry long bow, you aught to do so.  Very nice bows.

http://www.jdberryarchery.com/

I have an Argos and really enjoy shooting it.
JW
3 JD Berry Duo-Flex long bows
A pile of JD Berry ASL bows
2 JD Berry "OE" Long Bows

A Coyote ran accross the road, on the move without a home...
T. Petty

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2012, 12:01:00 AM »
There have been a lot of great recommendations, but i vote for the Whip. I've owned over a half dozen. They are plenty fast while still being whisper quiet with no hand shock. Plus, you. Get theadded benefit of working with Dan Toelke. I've never met the man, but he's a pleasure to deal with from the conversations we've had by phone.

I second getting a two-piece if you can swing it. Here's mine:  http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=117399#000000

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2012, 09:48:00 PM »
I make take down longbows,if interested take a look at my website and if i can help let me know.
Bryce

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2012, 10:35:00 PM »
There's a lot of great bows out there that will meet your expectations. The Great Northern Bushbow is one of the best in terms of what your looking for.  Very smooth drawing, no hand shock, and outstanding cast. Not to mention the craftmenship is second to none.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2012, 10:54:00 PM »
Please check out this site for New Wood longbows.  Chris makes a hell of a bow with zero handschock.  They are flawless and they are fast!  His bows are extremely affordable and just plain great.  

http://www.newwoodbows.com/

Bob B.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2012, 11:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bob B.:
Please check out this site for New Wood longbows.  Chris makes a hell of a bow with zero handschock.  They are flawless and they are fast!  His bows are extremely affordable and just plain great.  

http://www.newwoodbows.com/  

Bob B.
Those look pretty nice and very affordable. Do you have one? Mind telling us more? I'm a longbow guy and find these intriguing

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2012, 11:43:00 PM »
Well first off Chris is a super guy.  I met him several times at various bow shoots and show like the WTA (Wisconsin Traditonal Archers) in Wisconsin. I have shot his bows ... wow!  Others here on this site can comment as well.  Chris makes bows when he is not working his day job.  I think the "hobby" turned into a business.  Anyway, he does not want to charge a lot for his bows as he feels he is not as well known as other bowyers.  

I do not have one, I have an elbow issue and only shoot Hill style bows with straight or dished grips.  I am sure Chris would make a bow with any type of grip I desire, but truth be told, I have enough bows and I niether can afford or need another. That said, I have 3 deal breakers for me ... a bow has to be quiet, smooth, and easy on the joints.  Chris' bows are really outstanding ... man they are quiet, fast and dead in the hand - smooth on the draw.  He was teling me he shoots only like 46 pounds for hunting because he shoots clean through deer at that poundage, no sense shooting more weight.  So, I do not own one of his bows.  I do however think they are a great value and a super bow.  He even makes a 58 inch bow I have shot.  I have a 30 inch draw and shoot it fine ... no worries, no finger pinch, just fast and quiet.  He jsut makes a a great bow for not a lot of money.  If you need more info, drop me a PM and I will try to be more specific.

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2012, 08:50:00 AM »
As has been mentioned here longbows (and recurves) are a personal choice and the final factor should be how they shoot for you. I have owned a number of Whips and every one of them has been meticulously crafted of beautiful woods. They are smooth as silk, have ZERO handshock, are quiet as a mouse on a cotton pad and have an absolutely repeatable grip. As has already been attested to, Dan and Jared are two of the best people you will ever deal with, do yourself a favor and get a Whip.

Offline EMS Pilot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2012, 02:19:00 PM »
I bought a Centaur a little over a month ago from someone I met on tradgang.  I'm not an expert, but this bow is a work of art and shoots like a dream.  Definitely worth a serious look.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2012, 02:43:00 PM »
I don't pick someone elses bow and they don't pick mine!    :bigsmyl:
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline malcom.f

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2012, 03:09:00 PM »
Thanks for all the help
I think i see a centaur in my future

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2012, 04:19:00 PM »
really fast and powerful but plain looking = omega archery

Beautiful, quiet and good speed= Hunter bows

lots of adjustability ILF rigs morrison and dryads both look nice
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2012, 04:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bjorn:
Longbows, and bows in general are very personal. How you like them is more important than how others like them. Shoot before you buy.
It's hard not to plug your favorite bow when someone asks, but I think Bjorn gave the best advice so far.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©