3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 5" vrs 4" fletching?  (Read 602 times)

Offline The Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
5" vrs 4" fletching?
« on: June 28, 2012, 04:05:00 PM »
Building up my elk arrows. I am planning on shooting a Zwickey Eskimo 2 blade on an Easton  FMJ 400 shaft. Just wondering if 4" fletch is enough to stabilize the broadhead and if it has any real speed advantage over 5" fletching or is it all just fashion? Thanks.

Online jrstegner

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 5" vrs 4" fletching?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 04:14:00 PM »
If your arrows are tuned properly 4" is plenty to stabilize a broadhead. You will probably pick up a fps or two and in theory your arrow should be quieter in flight.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 05:04:00 PM »
On my Hill bows my brace on them almost insists on 4" feathers. On one I'm shooting 3 5" shields that the lower one rests on the shelf before drawing back. I think the brace is 5 3/8". Add nock length and the space between the nock and the back tip of the fletching and there you have it.

Got some 4" on order.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline cyred4d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 05:13:00 PM »
As was said above 4" should be plenty to stabilize arrow flight IF your arrow is properly tuned to your bow.

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 05:51:00 PM »
I had 4s, but now have 5s (with more helical).  I'm really liking what I see with the increased size and helical and not worrying about a possible miniscule loss in speed.   It is also a little more peace of mind when shooting a big broadhead, hitting a twig, or a bad release.
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 07:45:00 PM »
An Eskimo is a small head that flies extremely well.  4-inches is enough to control that head. That being said, I shoot 5 inches regardless of the head.

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 08:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by jrstegner:
If your arrows are tuned properly 4" is plenty to stabilize a broadhead. You will probably pick up a fps or two and in theory your arrow should be quieter in flight.
This^^^^^

Bisch

Offline park

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 08:33:00 PM »
I read in a book that said with lightweight carbon all that are needed are 3-4 in. feathers.They also said helical are impossible because the shafts are so skinny.They suggested feathers with a 1-2 degree offset or strait with an average sized broadhead.
   Ive also read in another book that said for hunting helical are the only fletching that should be used.The guy shoots aluminum so I don't know.I'm going to use offset for my carbine and helical for my aluminum.I hope this helps..

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 08:46:00 PM »
I shoot big 5 1/2 inch high back parabolics, because in a hunting situation, you may have damp feathers, and every little bit helps.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 08:56:00 PM »
I have used both with my 2 blade stinger broadheads and have seen no advantage with 5" feathers. My current setup based on excellent arrow flight are 4" RW helical feathers.

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 11:46:00 PM »
I fletch all my carbons with right helical and they fit just fine.

Bisch

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 11:56:00 PM »
I really like 4" 4-fletch on my Gold Tips, but I also use 5" 3-fletch on them from time to time...

I use RW Right Helical with no problems with either...
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 12:28:00 AM »
Hunting in the open, wind has worse effect on arrow flight than a bad release. 4x4. Or 3"x4 on skinny shafts works for me.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Dan Adair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 04:43:00 AM »
I dunno.  I swing the other way.  It's funny how little form issues tend to show up hunting (or shooting 3D matches)  I believe that a 4" 4 fletch or 3 fletch with at least 5" feathers is needed then.  Helical of course...  In a stiff wind, you're pretty much screwed no matter what.

I think its more important that you have thoroughly "shook down" your set-up and other gear first.

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 11:10:00 PM »
I can't really tell any difference between the two but I mostly use 5" for insurance.

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2012, 11:20:00 PM »
I made some arrows with four 4", I think I like it better than 5.5" fletching.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2012, 07:43:00 AM »
At the ranges I shoot (30 and under for targets and 20 and under for hunting) I can't tell the difference between the same arrows and broadheads with 4" vs. 5".

I've been shooting 4" for about 3 years. I'm going to hunt with 5" this season because I had thought to go to a larger broadhead (VPA 175 grain). I'm not going to use the 3-blade broadhead (sticking with 2-blade single bevel Helix) but I'll still use the 5" feathers.

My arrow is shorter than average (27" BOP) for my 26" draw. I'm also very particular about tuning so I'm sure I could get by with 3" feathers if I wanted to.

However, I'm thinking the 5" might save my shot in the off-chance I tick a sleeve or something at the shot?

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2012, 07:57:00 AM »
I'm with Dan.  If a little is good a whole lot must be better.  I just did four arrows up as an experiment, two with 3 fletch, 4 and 5" feathers and 2 with 4 fletch 4 and 5" feathers.  I'm liking the arrow flight of the 4-5" feathers the best.  Chronograph can't tell the difference between them speed wise and neither can I.  Plus it's much easier to see all that feather on the rear!  Wind drift seems about the same as it's been really windy since I started testing.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2012, 08:51:00 AM »
I shoot 2 inch razors! Less feather is less noise, more speed. when your arrows fly straight without feathers you really don't need big feathers to off set your broad head. Yes your release is more critical but nothing wrong with a clean release!
Make a life, not a living

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2012, 02:36:00 PM »
On my 30.5" 5575s, I just switched from four 4" to three 4" and took an inch off my crest wraps (now 6"). Bare shaft 5575 with 6" wraps and 175 grain field points fly as well or better than the same shaft with a 7" wrap and 200 gr.

But when fletched, the three 4" flies WAY better than the four 4" especially at longer distances. I just ordered cock feathers and fletching tape from KK today.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©